Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racing Brakes two piece rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the clarifying post from EV Tuning about the CTS-V incident

The car in question had a V1 CTS-V (4 pot calipers w/355x32 RB 2 pc rotor). When CTS-V Gen 2V came out with a bigger 6 pot caliper (370x34mm rotor) he "retrofitted" to 6 pot calipers but only purchased the replacement rings (2mm thicker) instead of complete hat and rotor assemblies. He re-used his old hats w/o knowing it has a different offset due to thicker rotor (His old hat was made for 32mm rotor) so because of this the failure happened. Had he used the correct hats there would not have been excessive force on the ring from not being centered correctly. I have two piece rotors from them front and rear on the EV tuning Model 3 without any issues/failures. That original post has been around the internet a bunch and it’s been stated what the root cause was.

That last part goes without saying!

I think there's a pre-existing group of posts on this and perhaps even an entire thread but search under beastmode 13 and I think you'll find it. Someone claimed that the catastrophic failure of an RB rotor hat and its joining with the disc ring was because of racing brake's poor manufacturing. A bit of forensic digging buy our group suggested that that was unlikely, and that the issue was someone putting a 2-piece rotor on a braking system that was not aligned in terms of the Pistons evenly compressing both sides of the rotor. If braking forces are unevenly applied to a two-piece rotor system, under high load you risk structural failure of the Hat disc connection ring, of course with potentially disastrous results.