Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racing Brakes two piece rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a set of two piece front/rear rotors from racing brakes for my 2020 P3D, issues below:
Stated weight reduction on the first page is 40lbs, fine print math is really 25lb.
Front rotors contact dust cover (noise), rb made me purchase a new set of front rotors, new set still contacted dust covers and I had to modify dust covers to fit.
Waiting for my 2nd purchase refund and 3 weeks later after two emails I get a response with photo of a chewed up rotor that states they won't refund my purchase.
Form your own opinion but I would never do business with this company again.

Reactions: untilcomplete
I purchased a set of two piece front/rear rotors from racing brakes for my 2020 P3D, issues below:
Stated weight reduction on the first page is 40lbs, fine print math is really 25lb.
Front rotors contact dust cover (noise), rb made me purchase a new set of front rotors, new set still contacted dust covers and I had to modify dust covers to fit.
Waiting for my 2nd purchase refund and 3 weeks later after two emails I get a response with photo of a chewed up rotor that states they won't refund my purchase.

Were you supposed to remove the dust covers?
Does the overall size of the rotor match the stick rotor?
Pictures might help your story.

The feedback from RB was to ask on this forum about a solution to their product not working, no guideline on removing the dust cover but it wouldn't seem like a viable solution. Where the contact was it seemed like it was the 2 piece rotor connection bolts were contacting the dust cover. Rb stated the rotors were 1mm thicker than the stock rotors.

Attachments

• 20191117_170639.jpg
    20191117_170639.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 474
I've had no issues with the RB rotors on my P3D. They fit fine with the dust shields. Are your shields bent?

I'm confused about what could get chewed up too....if the bolts are contacting the dust shields, how are the rotors getting torn up? Your pic doesn't really show anything.

On second look, are you sure those are the right rotors? The P/N on my fronts is H805-03, and rears are H805-07. Yours are H801-72.

Last edited:
The feedback from RB was to ask on this forum about a solution to their product not working, no guideline on removing the dust cover but it wouldn't seem like a viable solution. Where the contact was it seemed like it was the 2 piece rotor connection bolts were contacting the dust cover. Rb stated the rotors were 1mm thicker than the stock rotors.

I've had no issues with the RB rotors on my P3D. They fit fine with the dust shields. Are your shields bent?

I'm confused about what could get chewed up too....if the bolts are contacting the dust shields, how are the rotors getting torn up? Your pic doesn't really show anything.

On second look, are you sure those are the right rotors? The P/N on my fronts is H805-03, and rears are H805-07. Yours are H801-72.

is it me or is that not even a 2 piece rotor in that pic. Looks like it’s 1 piece.

Reactions: destructure00

Like others have said I'm pretty sure you got the wrong rotor. I have their front rotors and I'm about to install the rear rotors. I have a dual motor performance car with the big brakes. Front rotors fit perfectly without any issues.

The car was a week old so I hope the dust covers were not bent and does not have the big brakes as it is the sleeper so that is probably the confusion of the awd non perf rotors.

For sure different part number for the standard brake cars. Did you make that really clear to racingbrake? My experience is that they are somewhat disorganized/spacey about those distinctions. For example they initially sent me rear rotors that fit the standard break car but not the Performance brake car.

The car was a week old so I hope the dust covers were not bent and does not have the big brakes as it is the sleeper so that is probably the confusion of the awd non perf rotors.

I still question if you have the right ones. Those still look like 1 piece instead of 2. I can't find a pic with a part number of the base fronts, but the rears should be H800-80.

Is your pic the front or rear rotor?

RB claims 6lbs per rotor front and 5.4lbs per rotor rear reduction, for a total of 22.8 lbs. Where did you get the 40lb number from?

Here's the pics of the non-perf rotors from RBs site.

Rear PN clearly visible, doesn't match your pic:
rear_72c3d90432618830f5a5afae0c685708dd017ffd.png

Bad angle on the fronts, can't see PN. Ignoring unfinished disc...rotor hat/bolt location doesn't seem to match your pic either. RBs pic has a lip that doesn't seem to be on yours, and I don't see any bolts on yours that would indicate it's a 2 piece. Is this just a bad angle? Got any other pics?
Front.png

20191117_170639-jpg.491479

Last edited:
On RB's website, drawings for performance fronts and rears show the same part numbers as my pics. Weight savings from these pages are nowhere near 40lbs. Rears save 1.6lbs per rotor and fronts save

I'm pretty confident you have the wrong rotors.

Fronts:
RB 2pc Rotor Kit (355x26mm) for Tesla Model 3 (w/Perf. Brake) Front

Rears:
RB 2pc Rotor (335x21mm) for Tesla M3 Rear w/Perf. Brake
is it me or is that not even a 2 piece rotor in that pic. Looks like it’s 1 piece.
Yeah, I thought I was having eye problems, but that's definitely a one piece rotor he received.

Reactions: destructure00
I purchased a set of two piece front/rear rotors from racing brakes for my 2020 P3D

I ordered them online as the model 3 non performance front and rear two piece.

You have P3D, but you ordered RB rotors for non performance front and rear? Even stock from the factory they are different diameter rotors. Definitely not meant for cross replacement.

I was one of the first to acquire rear 2-piece RB rotor for my P3D when no one in the industry had a solution, including RB. Everyone thought the rear rotors of all 3 varieties were the same. RB decided to go all in to support the nascent but growing M3 brake performance market with more options than all other companies. RB is great at R&D and manufacturing, for retail service try purchase through their partner @EVTuning

If OP indeed purchase the wrong rotors for his P3D and try to make it fit. Then it is very misleading to blame everything on RB.

Google racing brake rotor hat separation. Before i had a clue, i used their products on my race car. I had a set of RB 2 piece rotors on my honda s2000, and the ring ripped off the hat in a race at Virginia international raceway at 125 mph. Almost cost me the car, and a lot more. Then i realized that no one seems to run these on actual race cars. I wonder why. I took at video of the rotor/hat after the fact and will post a link if i can find it.

in any event, be careful with your brake modifications.

Google racing brake rotor hat separation. Before i had a clue, i used their products on my race car. I had a set of RB 2 piece rotors on my honda s2000, and the ring ripped off the hat in a race at Virginia international raceway at 125 mph. Almost cost me the car, and a lot more. Then i realized that no one seems to run these on actual race cars. I wonder why. I took at video of the rotor/hat after the fact and will post a link if i can find it.

in any event, be careful with your brake modifications.

That last part goes without saying!

I think there's a pre-existing group of posts on this and perhaps even an entire thread but search under beastmode 13 and I think you'll find it. Someone claimed that the catastrophic failure of an RB rotor hat and its joining with the disc ring was because of racing brake's poor manufacturing. A bit of forensic digging buy our group suggested that that was unlikely, and that the issue was someone putting a 2-piece rotor on a braking system that was not aligned in terms of the Pistons evenly compressing both sides of the rotor. If braking forces are unevenly applied to a two-piece rotor system, under high load you risk structural failure of the Hat disc connection ring, of course with potentially disastrous results.