Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar deleted on all new Model Y and Model 3. Is FSD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very cool. Must be great to have root access. Is it difficult to achieve or just a matter of getting a password?

In any event, it seems to me that the two SW lines .3 and .4 are still being developed separately. Hopefully they will be able to merge one day so all cars get the latest new features. It does sound like some functionality has been merged already as you mention. Which SW release has the most up to date vision stack?
It is very cool. Rooting a fire TV stick or something doesn't do much, but rooting the car lets you see a lot. It is my hope to use my access to somehow grab the telemetry data and make some visualization videos :)

It is not easy to achieve, there is no password login.

Yes there is some merging going on - I speculate the vision-only stuff is from the 24th week of the year, as the 24 in 2021.24.4 indicates the branch was created in week 24 of the year.

I am not sure what the latest vision only firmware is... is it still 2021.4.21.3? That was the last vision-only one I had.
That firmware works with a radar if you turn it on too ;) And funny enough, after my radar retrofit Tesla mothership put my car on the software update track for radar cars which is why I got 2021.24.4. I cannot downgrade as some modules were updated in a way that disallows downgrades.

Last edited:
It is very cool. Rooting a fire TV stick or something doesn't do much, but rooting the car lets you see a lot. It is my hope to use my access to somehow grab the telemetry data and make some visualization videos :)

It is not easy to achieve, there is no password login.

I've done it on my Audi's before. There's a LOT of stuff available in there that's either not in the US or only available to service. There's a lot of fun stuff. You have to be careful, esp in certain areas. Thankfully as far as Audi goes, there's a lot of software and hardware available to support the hobbyist, along with lot's of "experts".

I found after a while it acted as if the weight was not there at all. Green also noted that there are detections in place for this. Not sure, glad to hear it doesn't nag you though!

Well, it is already merged. This morning I disabled the use of the radar to take some videos using the vision-only stack. No firmware update was necessary, though the vision-only stack in the current radar build (2021.24.4) is a bit dated, as it still has the 3-car following limit distance when not using radar.

Regardless, my point is that the fusion is already there :)

I will do the same route with radar and share some comparison videos. Though I don't know if I'm the best comparison case since I enabled some extra visualization stuff on the cluster ;)

View attachment 704773

What all can you do with root access that would be interesting to the rest of us? For example, can you completely turn off AP and TACC while enabling "dumb" cruise control? Or better yet, leave AP auto steer active while disabling TACC and activating dumb cruise?

Keith

PS: Can you tell that I love auto steer and hate TACC?

Reactions: DocHolliday