Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar getting turned off on Model 3/Y with 2022.20.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have both a 2021 Y and a 2022 3, both vehicles are vision and when I first got the Model Y we took a road trip and the Phantom Braking was truly awful. Since then one of updates significantly improved the performance of Autopilot related to Phantom braking. Our last road trip in the Model 3 I used Auto Pilot a good 85% of the time, it really was a stress reliever and made the trip much more enjoyable. Fear Not, It's really not that big of a deal. Update and move on with your life. You'll be fine....

I think the real reason they want to go to Vision Only on radar cars is to simplify software development. Their view is likely vision is "good enough" due to IIHS testing. They don't really care that they're nerfing the cars abilities or they'd simply wait until Vision Only was at least equal to radar.
Yep. I equate it to when MS dropped Kinect from Xbox. Once they stopped selling Xboxes with Kinect.. why continue to write code for two different Xboxes.. one with Kinect.. one without? By dropping support entirely for Kinect.. they were able to streamline their code, deliver updates faster and speed up overall system performance.

That said, don't think Tesla is done with radar.

And don't think Elon is 100% all-in on Vision-only as the way forward:

1662065277420.png

• Informative
Reactions: Boza and Tha_Ape
Tesleans, I have seen the Vision! And it is...fine. It's fine. I updated last night. Drove an hour and fifteen minutes with AP on I-90/I495 and some secondary roads. Overall, it was *possibly* a bit more smooth than when I had radar helping out. A bit more, if anything. (Probably not, probably placebo.) On the down side, an intersection I go through every day near my house exhibited a problem I battled with in the first 12-18 months after getting the car that went away with some software update. It's back now, but I'll survive. Basically there are no lane markers and for whatever reason, the car thinks it should quickly change lanes in the middle of the intersection. Odd, but I can deal with that. Probably shouldn't use AP in that intersection anyway. No phantom breaking occurred. And MOST IMPORTANTLY: I did not need to uncover my cabin camera. I feel like I had an extra nag or two to grab the wheel, but that might have been my imagination. So Vision did not end my world, nor did it bathe it in glorious light. It was fine. Fine. Nothing to see here...
Did you try it at night? Does it turn high beams by itself? How was it in congestions?

Tesleans, I have seen the Vision! And it is...fine. It's fine. I updated last night. Drove an hour and fifteen minutes with AP on I-90/I495 and some secondary roads. Overall, it was *possibly* a bit more smooth than when I had radar helping out. A bit more, if anything. (Probably not, probably placebo.) On the down side, an intersection I go through every day near my house exhibited a problem I battled with in the first 12-18 months after getting the car that went away with some software update. It's back now, but I'll survive. Basically there are no lane markers and for whatever reason, the car thinks it should quickly change lanes in the middle of the intersection. Odd, but I can deal with that. Probably shouldn't use AP in that intersection anyway. No phantom breaking occurred. And MOST IMPORTANTLY: I did not need to uncover my cabin camera. I feel like I had an extra nag or two to grab the wheel, but that might have been my imagination. So Vision did not end my world, nor did it bathe it in glorious light. It was fine. Fine. Nothing to see here...
OK, Tesleans, I have paid more attention to the Vision, and...it's not as good as when radar was active. It's fine. But definitely not as good. Today I had an AP disconnect when I was driving into the sun. One of those freak-out disconnects. That has never happened before, as far as I can remember. I also had a strange thing happen in traffic. The car started hesitating--going, sowing, going, slowing, going, slowing--and I kept waiting for it to resolve but it never did. I had to hit the accelerator, effectively smacking it back to its senses. I also had a minor phantom break going about 68 where it slowed to about 58 for no reason at all. All of these things combined do not prevent me from using AP at all. But it's a minor bummer. It's a step backwards, which kind of sucks. It's fine. But it kind of sucks!

Yep. I equate it to when MS dropped Kinect from Xbox. Once they stopped selling Xboxes with Kinect.. why continue to write code for two different Xboxes.. one with Kinect.. one without? By dropping support entirely for Kinect.. they were able to streamline their code, deliver updates faster and speed up overall system performance.

That said, don't think Tesla is done with radar.

And don't think Elon is 100% all-in on Vision-only as the way forward:

View attachment 847982

Ive had the same hypotheses with radar, and am convinced Vision was a bandaid in a parts shortage that would have closed factories had they not pivoted away from radar fusion.

the current radar in all Teslas is old tech, and does cause issues. ARBE 4D radar "Phoenix" should be a game changer and I see Tesla strategically eating crow to integrate the new sensor to keep AP competitive.

I keep tabs on ARBE regularly, and invested back in January. This article is probably just confirmation bias, but looks like a good company and great potential upside:

I'm installing 2022.24.6 now. A bit anxious to try it as radar has never worked spectacularly well for me. It was always way too aggressive when approaching a slower car in front of me.. and then would brake very hard. So aggressive that I would hit the brakes and cancel it out as it just approaching way too fast in stop & go traffic on the highway where speeds might go from 70mph to 5mph in seconds. Was also a bit too jerky when following another car at very slow speeds, especially at 1.. again too aggressive on the gas/brake. It will be interesting to see if Vision is any smoother.. something more comparable to the systems I've used from Honda & VW which are both very smooth gas/brake.. and less aggressive when approaching a slower vehicle.

I'm also excited about the other features in this update. The ability to move that monitor window for the blind spot camera around is long overdue. Same with putting the freaking NAV directions back at the TOP of the screen.. are both worth the update. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to put both of these items in the bottom, left corner of the screen.. the portion of the screen that is already hard to see.. and that my right knee is usually blocking.

1662232961096.png

Reactions: DrGriz
So I've had this update for a week now. Driven about 500 miles and honestly.. Im happy so far!! The system seems more accurate and confident. Also, it does seem a bit smoother. This has all been a very pleasant surprise. The car still accelerates and brakes a bit harder compared to other non-Tesla systems I've owned/driven. But more importantly, it doesn't seem to fly up on other vehicles that have drastically slowed down. The radar system always scared me a bit.. as the car in front of me will be hard on the brakes and my car is doing 70mph flying up to his rear bumper.

Yep, goes against what I said earlier about liking radar better. That said I would still appreciate the bump to 90mph and the ability to set the following distance to 1 for Vision-based AP. Also important that I point out I've only used Vision-based AP on Interstate 495 and 95 in the DC-Baltimore area. These are major 4-5 lane highways. I haven't had the chance to use Vision-based AP on 2 lane backroads.. or double-lane state routes just yet.. where most people complain that it will phantom brake whenever big Semi-trucks coming the opposite way get too close.

• Helpful
Reactions: Yelobird and Boza
So I've had this update for a week now. Driven about 500 miles and honestly.. Im happy so far!! The system seems more accurate and confident. Also, it does seem a bit smoother. This has all been a very pleasant surprise. The car still accelerates and brakes a bit harder compared to other non-Tesla systems I've owned/driven. But more importantly, it doesn't seem to fly up on other vehicles that have drastically slowed down. The radar system always scared me a bit.. as the car in front of me will be hard on the brakes and my car is doing 70mph flying up to his rear bumper.

Yep, goes against what I said earlier about liking radar better. That said I would still appreciate the bump to 90mph and the ability to set the following distance to 1 for Vision-based AP. Also important that I point out I've only used Vision-based AP on Interstate 495 and 95 in the DC-Baltimore area. These are major 4-5 lane highways. I haven't had the chance to use Vision-based AP on 2 lane backroads.. or double-lane state routes just yet.. where most people complain that it will phantom brake whenever big Semi-trucks coming the opposite way get too close.
FWIW, I am still on the radar and experience PB on left curve and a semi in the right lane. Definitely less often than a year ago, though.

I was also lucky enough one to kick-out one of the eyes of my car 5 days ago. Definitely a legacy of Andrey Karpathy. He claimed many times, "radar only makes noise. Never confessing, he does not know, how to handle radar signal output. He is not there anymore (luckily), but no radar on my car. Phantom braking? I did not have that for months. With new-and-always-improved - instantly, first day of the teslovision! Andrey, thank you very much!
I clearly remember, when autopilot was driving me on the highway at zero visibility on poring rain at night. What to expect now from Teslovision, when there no vision? Clearly the improvement.
Ever since late fall 2021, every new firmware - new frustration. The autopilot became back so conservative, that in many cases is now useless in traffic, but used to be decent. Is that to comply with the NHTSA certification? In a good sunny California lunch time - possibly.
Next, ultrasonic sensors will be disabled. Thank you, no more updates, enough is enough.
Will pay for a good samaritan to revert me back to 2021.something, before it started jerking my windows.