Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radar getting turned off on Model 3/Y with 2022.20.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is what has been talked about ni this thread starting at this post. There are some more details, and link to a video where it was discussed, in this thread: FSD AP improvements in upcoming v11 from Lex Fridman interview
Raw images are not photon counts. It's just the data directly from the sensor cells which are proportional to the amount of light hitting them, but that's certainly not photon counts. Why they ever used processed images escapes me. Most experienced people don't even use them when editing photos.

• Love
Reactions: Boza
2020.20.9 is ready to be installed on my 2019 M3. I use AP *all the time*. I have 65K miles on the car, and the vast majority has been AP. I drive lots of highways in and around Massachusetts, daily. AP is life changing for me. I feel relatively rested even after 2 hour drives, which is incredible. Before I had the M3, after a drive like that, my back would hurt, and I'd feel stiff from clutching the wheel and on the pedals for so long. The idea of jeopardizing this current experience is incredibly troublesome. I'm really hesitant to install this software...BUT...do I really have a choice? I mean, am I going to never install another update?

Seriously: do I have a choice?

Thinking I should just click the update button now and see how it goes. Decisions.....

Reactions: Electroman
So the radar will remain active on my HW 2.5 vehicle and it won’t transition to Tesla Vision after the next software update?
That is my guess.

Seriously: do I have a choice?

Thinking I should just click the update button now and see how it goes. Decisions.....
According to your warranty you don't have a choice. It would be really interesting to see how you feel about it after a couple weeks of use.

• Disagree
Reactions: Daekwan
Raw images are not photon counts. It's just the data directly from the sensor cells which are proportional to the amount of light hitting them, but that's certainly not photon counts. Why they ever used processed images escapes me. Most experienced people don't even use them when editing photos.
The photo you process is created by processing raw data from photons striking the camera sensors. Words can have different meanings in context. Before you criticize Tesla's use of "photons", do a deep dive into their programming. I guess you can't because they won't share proprietary details. They have only summarized what they are doing in public releases. In one of those releases, they did show the difference between the output from raw camera images and their photon processing directly to vector space in low visibility. it was pretty remarkable.

Just read a long Reddit thread about vision vs. radar. Along with this thread, the clear consensus is that Vision is not as good as radar builds. Having the radar removal forced on me is freaking me out. My M3 is **great** right now on 2022.20.8. I use AP **all the time!!** I don't want to chance things with Vision. Can someone tell me what the best way is to avoid updating to 2022.20.9 even though the app and car keep offering it? I know I will have to update eventually, but I can't handle this change right now. My busiest travel/work season is right now, through late-october. I need my car to be stable! Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: nj1266 and jsight
The photo you process is created by processing raw data from photons striking the camera sensors. Words can have different meanings in context. Before you criticize Tesla's use of "photons", do a deep dive into their programming. I guess you can't because they won't share proprietary details. They have only summarized what they are doing in public releases. In one of those releases, they did show the difference between the output from raw camera images and their photon processing directly to vector space in low visibility. it was pretty remarkable.
Reinventing the wheel is not something to be proud of, especially when coupled with clear misuse of terminology.
Raw image processing is foundational for pretty much any kind of image recognition. It is surprising that Tesla was not doing that from the beginning. Calling it “photon counting” (btw: I could not find Tesla official reference to that) is taking the amateurism to the next level. As mentioned above that is a very well defined concept in quantum physics. To be able to count individual photons you need a very, very specialized equipment and, frankly, for the purpose of autonomous driving does not make any sense.
Since 2022.20.9 came out I spent many hours researching the subject which increased my knowledge but I also have a life. The car for me is a tool and it is ridiculous to have to do a research every time when Tesla decided to drastically change something that I own.
Unfortunately, I see the same tail tales as with the comical V11 efforts: Ignoring significant body of knowledge on the matter, coming up with weird arguments, coming from unfounded “We know best” position, etc.
There is no evidence that radarless car performs better: It has a lower speed limit, it has longer following distance, it needs additional help (high beams, wipers), etc. Additionally, no one outside of Tesla is either convinced or pursuing vision only autonomous driving, let alone adaptive cruise control. I challenge you to find an independent study on the matter that concludes that camera only is, at least, equivalent to combined sensor array.
All points to:
- Tesla had challenge obtaining the radar modules due to the global chip supply issues. They decided to remove the chip, save cost and accelerate the Tesla Vision (interestingly, Tesla filed for FCC approval for their own radar module this year)
- As another cost saving measure they want to maintain a single code base (naturally); thus, removing the radar support.
All this “photon counting”, camera only is better than combined sensors, etc. is a marketing BS.

Just read a long Reddit thread about vision vs. radar. Along with this thread, the clear consensus is that Vision is not as good as radar builds. Having the radar removal forced on me is freaking me out. My M3 is **great** right now on 2022.20.8. I use AP **all the time!!** I don't want to chance things with Vision. Can someone tell me what the best way is to avoid updating to 2022.20.9 even though the app and car keep offering it? I know I will have to update eventually, but I can't handle this change right now. My busiest travel/work season is right now, through late-october. I need my car to be stable! Any advice would be appreciated.
Maybe removing any saved wifi networks from the car would stop the car from downloading updates? I'm pretty sure, but not a 100% positive that the updates are only downloaded over wifi. Also, turning off the wifi is not sufficient due to it restarting next time you drive.

Maybe removing any saved wifi networks from the car would stop the car from downloading updates? I'm pretty sure, but not a 100% positive that the updates are only downloaded over wifi. Also, turning off the wifi is not sufficient due to it restarting next time you drive.
At some point the car will download the update over LTE. The clock will turn from yellow to black and the next morning you will experience the “greatness” of camera only adaptive cruise control.

I'm glad that works wherever you live in Oregon. But if you were using AP with the following distance of 5 or 6 in DC commuter traffic, where I live.. you would literally get shot. I'm not even joking. You would cause so much road rage that someone would absolutely attempt to harm you.

Every once in a while I set mine to 2.. and I still end up with a bunch of drivers frustrated and jumping in front of me in traffic only to slam on brakes seconds later. That's when I switch to 1.. and just deal with my car accelerating & braking harder as it closes the following distance between my car and the one ahead.
I second this. The difference between the amount of cut-ins you get is huge. 1 is enough to discourage most people from cutting in.

We can argue all day over PB, but objectively, the radar cars are simply more capable. They're able to go faster on AP and follow closer.

Reactions: Daekwan
Just for the sake of argument, isn’t it possible that despite a slightly slower top speed limit, and a slightly less close follow distance, disabling radar is safer, and provides a smoother ride? These things are not necessarily constrained by each other. The car could be far more capable in some respects, but not able to go quite as fast and follow as close, as a trade-off. I personally would be happy with that trade-off as I never go faster than 75, and never follow closer than a three. (And I’m on some pretty mean interstates in and around Boston. I just don’t feel safe following so close and going so fast on auto pilot.)