Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio FM Tuner Reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought my first Tesla, a 2019 Model 3. Unfortunately, during my test drives with it, I never realized that the radio seems to not function (wouldn't be a turn off anyhow as I rarely use it, but would like it to work). Every other source works just fine, but selecting "Radio" just pops the window open and the spinning indicator goes for a few minutes before stopping and nothing loading. I can't take it into the service center yet as I have another appointment already scheduled to pickup some replacement sunvisor clips I wanted them to order (unless someone knows where else I can buy these in the US or 3D print one) and I can't seem to make another appointment on top of the existing one. The car's 50k bumper to bumper warranty is also expired and I'm not too keen on paying for something that I'd rarely use.

I'm a pretty handy person, so I wanted to see if I could at least diagnose it myself. Could someone tell me the FM tuner is located so I can inspect it? I saw a post that referenced it was by the rear passenger headliner right where the body connects to the glass, but there were no pictures provided which made it hard to figure out where exactly. I've already tried many power resets, soft and hard, and even pulled the power from both batteries for a few minutes to fully cycle the car, but to no avail.

If you search eBay for "Tesla Model 3 Radio Tuner", you'll find photos of the tuner module and the antenna amplifier module. I believe the antenna is mounted within the rear glass roof.

I would not recommend buying parts and swapping them out. That may work with other automotive manufacturers, but Tesla has unique serial numbers on many components that require software configuration to the individual car.

Best advice, is to schedule an appointment with Tesla Service to have the radio function diagnosed for the cause of malfunction. Tesla Service can troubleshoot your car to find the cause. They will likely charge a small diagnostic fee and offer a repair estimate, and if you ask, advice on a DIY repair.

Looking for advice/help?

I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla. With parts and labor it was going to be a near $1,000 visit for the radio. Not worth it. The tech on the phone suggested if I bought a replacement myself, I should be able to wait for a software update to be available to it and then run the update to let the car pair the new tuner to itself (so long as my issue is the tuner itself and not wiring).

A replacement was about $35 from ebay so I figured I'd give that a shot. I can do the physical replacement, but am looking for any of these software related tips or advice after the swap is done.