Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Sensing Wipers - Hooray!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any reports of nighttime driving w/ the Auto wipers feature working?

Completed a 1000Mi drive to CES with 2018.50.3 ... and while auto wiper mode does work, they only activated for me during the daylight. At night during heavy rain, I had to manually operate the wipers via the spray button.
I'm wondering if having daylight for cameras to 'see' the rain drops is a reason for the delayed release.
-TechVP

Wipers need improvement, but then it is BETA. It works but (I have it in the least sensitive setting)
- sometimes it does two or three wipes when only one suffices
- sometimes it takes an awful long time before it starts wiping, even if I change to the more sensitive setting
- at night and rain is strange all together. Sometimes it doesn't wipe and the wipers retract to the "off" position under the hood, only to activate it a second later. At night the camera has a hard time "seeing" rain.

Altogether, it does work. I am sure in future updates it will work better.

Wipers need improvement, but then it is BETA. It works but (I have it in the least sensitive setting)
- sometimes it does two or three wipes when only one suffices
- sometimes it takes an awful long time before it starts wiping, even if I change to the more sensitive setting
- at night and rain is strange all together. Sometimes it doesn't wipe and the wipers retract to the "off" position under the hood, only to activate it a second later. At night the camera has a hard time "seeing" rain.

Altogether, it does work. I am sure in future updates it will work better.

I'm with you here. Finally we have rain sensing wipers which work reasonably well. In fact, for a Tesla "Beta", these are really pretty good. They are not quite a sensitive as I would choose myself, but they are reasonably close. I have had them work at night, and they appear to work identically at night as during the day. Comparing with the wipers in my wife's M-class, they work at least as well as the Mercedes wipers with a dedicated sensor.

Overall, I am very happy with them.

Good job Tesla Software guys!