Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Sensing Wipers - Hooray!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for the update. Is there any reason why sometimes it just takes forever getting the updates? Any way to force it?

Tesla rolls it out generally slowly. Looks like only about 10%~ of the fleet has it.

If your car has been flagged for update the best thing you can do is connect to wifi. Other than that... no nothing you can do.

• Helpful
Reactions: MXFan
Still waiting for the update. Is there any reason why sometimes it just takes forever getting the updates? Any way to force it?

Someone on another thread said it was chronologically by VIN. After reading that I started paying attention to my updates and my older S always gets updates before my newer X (assuming update applies to both cars) The spacing is generally the same amount of days apart as well.

I'm not sure if this is 100% factual, but might be a good general indicator

Kind of works, needs a bit of improvement. It is a beta though so....
On a side note, model X wipers suck. Driving on highways I just can't get my windshield clean. There is always a big area right in front of driver that fluid doesn't seem to reach.

Someone on another thread said it was chronologically by VIN. After reading that I started paying attention to my updates and my older S always gets updates before my newer X (assuming update applies to both cars) The spacing is generally the same amount of days apart as well.

I'm not sure if this is 100% factual, but might be a good general indicator

I don't think this is correct, we have only had model X for 2.5 weeks and have received every update on first push best I can recall.

I got the firmware update for my 2017 Model X and had the opportunity today to test the auto wipers in light rain. They appeared to work as well as the auto wipers on my 2013 non-AP Model S that I owned for 3 1/2 years. Seem fine to me. Not perfect on either car, but very usable.

I’ve heard from several non-AP and AP1 S owners that the rain sensing wipers weren’t that great. I had them on the AP1 X and it was fantastic. Not sure what the difference is.

With that said, I had a chance to drive with the update on The AP2 X...and so far I’m underwhelmed.

Situation 1:
The conditions were dry and cloudy, the road was wet. Without a car in front, there was no spray. Coming up on another car, a mist would occur and spray the windshield. On my AP1 X, it would immediately pick it up and trigger the wipers. The AP2 X did...nothing. This happened repeatedly.

In all fairness, I’ve driven other cars with rain sensors and they operated in the same limited capacity. The AP1 X just happened to work phenomenally.

I’m also not sure if there needs to be a calibration period, but the advantage is since it’s part of the network I would imagine it would just improve with time.

I tried it today as it was a rainy day. It actually worked quite well and maybe not perfect, but did the job well enough for me so that I could drive without adjusting the wiper controls... It is Beta after all but this is a huge improvement...well done Tesla.

In Palm Desert & Tested with a spray bottle & shot this video with a solution of ONR on January 1st shortly after installing the 2017.50.3 update.
Seems to work adequately. I will have to wait until I drive it back to the Northwest for a real world test during the Portland Rain Festival (Held each year, January 1st - December 31st)