Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Sensor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the Model 3 is using a traditional rain sensor for the auto wipers or if it is using the autopilot cameras? I believe that the circle visible on the camera housing is a rain sensor so one would think that it is using this.

Does anyone know??

It is the camera at the top of the windshield in front of the rear view mirror. It seems to respond more slowly to water buildup on the windshield then I would like. Actually, I wondered if treating the windshield with Rain-X everywhere but the camera area would help. In that way water wouldn't accumulate on the window as quickly as water droplets in front of the camera. The wipers would turn on just as before but when the window wasn't so so covered, you couldn't see. Has anyone tried doing this?

It is the camera at the top of the windshield in front of the rear view mirror. It seems to respond more slowly to water buildup on the windshield then I would like. Actually, I wondered if treating the windshield with Rain-X everywhere but the camera area would help. In that way water wouldn't accumulate on the window as quickly as water droplets in front of the camera. The wipers would turn on just as before but when the window wasn't so so covered, you couldn't see. Has anyone tried doing this?
Nope. My windshield is treated and I thought that was slowing down windshield wiper response time because the treatment beads up so fast.

Does anyone know if the Model 3 is using a traditional rain sensor for the auto wipers or if it is using the autopilot cameras? I believe that the circle visible on the camera housing is a rain sensor so one would think that it is using this.

Does anyone know??
I had read that the dot's a humidity and temperature sensor and that rain detection is done by the camera.

Does anyone know??
Just curious but why are you asking? Of all the shortcomings in the 3 getting the windshield wipers to work well is first on my list.
My apologies to those who continue to have phone connection problems since my phone works pretty well now and has improved since I've had the car.

On the 26th day, after almost 6000 miles of driving, the first significant rain occurred at night in Kansas. AUTO ceased to be effective. Light rain brought on fast; heavy rain ran the intermittent mode. Splashback brought the wipers to stop totally. I took it in only to be told that there were still programming issues. NOW THEY TELL ME!!!

Obviously, I ended up using manual mode, but it was not helpful on the interstate when it is pitch black and the lines in the road cannot be seen. Having to work the screen to get the wipers to operate as needed, was, of course, not helpful. The lane change "shaker" did not work. After driving 6000 miles, I was exhausted and not in any mood to have to "learn" how to drive and control the wipers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGard
Nope. My windshield is treated and I thought that was slowing down windshield wiper response time because the treatment beads up so fast.
I thought Rain-X was supposed to prevent water from beading up, so instead it sheets off. Therefore, if you apply it to every portion of the window except to the glass in front of the camera, the camera would see the buildup, before the rest of the window absolutely needs the wipers.

I thought Rain-X was supposed to prevent water from beading up, so instead it sheets off. Therefore, if you apply it to every portion of the window except to the glass in front of the camera, the camera would see the buildup, before the rest of the window absolutely needs the wipers.

no it makes it bead easier so it slides off

On the 26th day, after almost 6000 miles of driving, the first significant rain occurred at night in Kansas. AUTO ceased to be effective. Light rain brought on fast; heavy rain ran the intermittent mode. Splashback brought the wipers to stop totally. I took it in only to be told that there were still programming issues. NOW THEY TELL ME!!!

Obviously, I ended up using manual mode, but it was not helpful on the interstate when it is pitch black and the lines in the road cannot be seen. Having to work the screen to get the wipers to operate as needed, was, of course, not helpful. The lane change "shaker" did not work. After driving 6000 miles, I was exhausted and not in any mood to have to "learn" how to drive and control the wipers.

Easy way to manually start wipers is to tap the button on the left stick for a single wipe. This in turn flips the monitor to the wiper page where you can easily turn them on.

Screenshot_20180905-100540_Amazon Shopping.jpg
no it makes it bead easier so it slides off
Look at this picture of both a treated and an untreated window. It clearly shows more beading on the untreated window. The treated window has less beading and gives greater visibility with the same rain. Hence, the name Rain-X refers to it repelling the rain so you don't need your wipers so soon. If it were to cause beading, as you suggest, it would be causing the rain to adhere. Again, treat the window which won't bead but don't treat the sensor camera area which will continue to bead up until it triggers the wipers.

Last edited:
View attachment 332101
Look at this picture of both a treated and an untreated window. It clearly shows more beading on the untreated window. The treated window has less beading and gives greater visibility with the same rain. Hence, the name Rain-X refers to it repelling the rain so you don't need your wipers so soon. If it were to cause beading, as you suggest, it would be causing the rain to adhere. Again, treat the window which won't bead but don't treat the sensor camera area which will continue to bead up until it triggers the wipers.

Incorrect, the water beads on the reduced surface tension of the treated window and slides off. The reason you see less on the left side is because the lowered surface tension allows the water to bead into a large enough drop that is slides off. On and untreated window the surface tension is much higher and the water does not slide off as readily. Ride in any car treated with rain x and this is immediately apparent when it rains.

Reactions: pdamski
Incorrect, the water beads on the reduced surface tension of the treated window and slides off. The reason you see less on the left side is because the lowered surface tension allows the water to bead into a large enough drop that is slides off. On and untreated window the surface tension is much higher and the water does not slide off as readily. Ride in any car treated with rain x and this is immediately apparent when it rains.
To me a bead is a tiny drop of water. If, as you say, with a treated window, a bunch of beads coalesce into larger drops or a sheet of water, you still don't see as many beads. Otherwise, why would you use this product?

I made the mistake of putting RainX ONLY on the cameras thinking that it would help autopilot, but not thinking that it would hurt auto wipers....maybe I should do it your way and only do the windscreen but not the cameras.

They do coalesce into larger drops which go off the windshield. In my experience the camera is better at seeing large beads of water than it is seeing a "sheet" or drizzle.
It appears that Ratsbew had tried treating the camera area. So if larger droplets did, as a result form there, they rolled off too quickly. I am guessing that when the camera can't see clearly ahead because of a lot tiny droplets, the wipers are triggered. I just treated all of my window with Rainx but avoided the camera area. Now, I'll just have to wait for it to rain.

I find the rain sensor not very responsive to the rain conditions. Most of the time, I end up having to activate the wipers myself. I wish they had a sensor sensitivity setting.

This. How hard is it to do a basic car function like wipers? Every other car company has managed to figure it out. Wake up Tesla. Early adopters and fans will tolerate this BS but the average consumer will not.