TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rainbow Roof Effect Fading for Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by happyzod, Sep 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. happyzod

happyzod Member

I got my Model 3 last year in October. It had a very strong rainbow roof effect when wet. However, I began to notice it fading around spring. Now it's the end of summer and my roof only shows a faint red when wet. Anyone else experience something similar?

2. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Mine still glows as strong as new when wet. Almost a year in now.

• Like x 1
  3. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Mine is by the "other" supplier and no orange tint.

4. happyzod

happyzod Member

Has a red tint? Has it been fading?

5. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

No, it looks more like a "normal" tinted glass top. I think most newer 3's (May build) use this glass. It is likely from a different supplier.

IMG_0854.jpeg

6. happyzod

happyzod Member

I still get a little red when wet, but it's not the vibrant red/orange that I got last year. Really disappointing that the effect went away, it was one of the best things I liked about my car.

• Like x 1
  7. mmiketa

mmiketa Member

My car has a build date of 06/19 and I haven't noticed the effect on it yet at all and it was pretty wet this morning. It's a shame because I thought it was really cool.

8. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Was it overcast? It's much more subdued if the sun isn't out.

I originally had the effect only halfway down my back window. After a year of ownership I decided to get heat-blocking tint installed, Photosync 30 IRD & 70 IRD, and the effect now goes all the way down.

Original
    IMG_0077.jpg

With Photosync
    IMG_2147.jpg

• Informative x 2
  9. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK P plates

Just got car. I don't think we have this unfortunately, but just wanted to check if its temperature dependent?

We were at ~10C (50F), very overcast with strong dew and with a bit of wishful thinking it may have had the most slightest of tint, although I suspect it was reflection (red sky at night, red sky in morning etc). I think its a July 2019 car, but not really sure how to tell for sure.

10. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Mine is a Nov 2018 build and my roof still has the same orange color when wet....

11. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Mine is still bright as ever, 90XX vin.

12. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Supplier dependent. It appears there are now 2 different glass suppliers and the "newer" supplier's glass doesn't have the orange tint. Mine doesn't have it either.

13. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK P plates

I had heard that replacement roofs since around April 19 had got the orange colour again. I was hoping that they were also being fitted from new. Orange roof would have partially made up for having to wait so long.

14. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Member

I kinda wish mine had the colored tint when wet.

15. KenC

KenC Active Member

So, the tint, raised the temp of the glass, so now the whole window shows off the rainbow effect?

16. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

I don't think the effect is temperature related as it occurs on rainy days when it tends to be colder outside. But yes, the whole back window now shows it when it used to be just on the upper half