Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh (Non) Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep calling delivery at CLT (you'll have to get transferred by sales or the Raleigh office). Justin in Charlotte was able to put eyes on our car and confirm it was there and ok.
Thank you so much for the suggestion. So I did call Raleigh office. They said it was more of an organizational issue between both the offices. They will try to compensate for the poor customer experience.

@Picaflora,
I was just told that my car is in CHARLOTTE, just like @Picaflora. Big difference is I got a call the day before to cancel the delivery, plus I live only 35 minutes from the Raleigh location. The car is being shipped to Raleigh for delivery on Aug. 21.(I don’t want to take the chance of driving 150 miles to Charlotte and having another problem).
It also took until today to get any feedback on the problem. The IDA did all the leg work, and he also has been very responsive to all of my previous questions. He told me his information showed the car in Raleigh.
The delivery/communication process needs significant improvement. The upcoming mass market buyers will have much less patience / tolerance for these types of hassles.
@Picaflora, did you get your car?
Yesterday I had the 2nd delivery appointment (for Aug. 21.) cancelled because the car is still in Charlotte!
I was told that due to Raleigh storage issues cars were actually moved to Charlotte (?!), and others that were en route were diverted to Charlotte. My patience and understanding are wearing thin! Can’t understand why it takes over two weeks to get the car from Charlotte to Raleigh. I could have picked up the car in Charlotte if I knew this was going to be an issue.

@jmmdownhil when was your original delivery date? Mine was scheduled for 8/25 and I got the delayed call on Friday. I’m wondering if I’m going to be 2 weeks out.
Anyone ask if can Just pick up car from Charlotte? Unsure how I would manage getting other car home, and that’s a lot of driving for us.

We did on Friday! We were supposed to take home delivery on 8/11, but got a call on 8/10 that the back window was chipped/cracked. That was fixed on Thurs, 8/16. They called my husband the morning of 8/17 and said the car would be at the house by 2pm on a 3rd party haul truck. They brought it to us in an enclosed box truck. We've spent all weekend trying to come up with errands/the long way home to enjoy it!

All told, it was about 13 days from our original delivery date before we got the car. We're both annoyed with the amount of hand holding and calling we had to do to get it all worked out, but like others have said the car really is worth it. And we'll still have to make another call on Monday, as the car isn't showing up in the app.

@srharris22 - we were given the option of picking up in CLT on our original delivery date (8/4). But we weren't thrilled with the idea of driving 2.5-3hrs after having just driven 3hrs, and then the 3-3.5hrs back home from the CLT SC.

@jmmdownhil when was your original delivery date? Mine was scheduled for 8/25 and I got the delayed call on Friday. I’m wondering if I’m going to be 2 weeks out.
Anyone ask if can Just pick up car from Charlotte? Unsure how I would manage getting other car home, and that’s a lot of driving for us.
First delivery date was Aug. 4. The first cancellation was irritating but I tried to be an adult about it - Ha! (Ramp up; lots of deliveries; small facility; etc., etc.). The second cancellation I am less forgiving, but none of us have any leverage over the process. The delay also resulted in my Tesla finance rate expiring and being bumped up a notch.

@Picaflora, glad you got the car! Hope I can forget the hassles once I get the car.

I went by the Tesla Raleigh offices on Saturday for the first time. I didn't realize that the Service and Sales centers were in separate buildings, so I visited both. Both offices are in an office park -- pretty small lobby areas. I didn't see a storage lot at either office. At the Sales office, I talked with the assistant manager about the transportation delays between Charlotte and Raleigh. He said that they used to park the incoming cars on the street, but other area businesses complained (no license plates), so they had to move them. He says they are working on a temporary solution to store the cars in Raleigh. No ETA was given. He also said that all Raleigh customers should have been given the option to pick up their car in Charlotte.

My car has been in Charlotte now for a couple of weeks. I'm not anxious to do a 6-hour round trip drive to and from Charlotte -- I can wait a few weeks to see what happens. I'm thinking about requesting home delivery like @Picaflora , but I prefer not to pay upfront without even seeing the car.

6/27/2018 - Reservation made
6/30/2018 - Configuration complete
7/27/2018 - ISA calls for the first time. Says car is in transit to Birmingham, AL. Confirms VIN.
7/31/2018 - ISA called to say the car is in transit to Charlotte.
8/07/2018 - ISA called to say the car is in Charlotte, and we set delivery date on 8/20.
8/17/2018 - ISA called to cancelled delivery date. No new date available.

They were storing dozens of em at a parking lot next to a storage place and an old out of business gym for a while (there's pics of the lot, and I went by there to look at colors a while back) but they apparently lost access to that lot- presumably why they had to ship stuff back to Charlotte.

I'm still waiting on my VIN so haven't been hit by the issues yet, but having been by the Raleigh facility a few times now, and having been told things like "Oh, they won't be making AWD cars until end of the year" as recently as a few days ago by a salesperson there, I don't have a ton of confidence in em right now...so might be worth the couple hours drive to Charlotte when the time comes.

Reactions: srharris22
@Picaflora,

@Picaflora, did you get your car?
Yesterday I had the 2nd delivery appointment (for Aug. 21.) cancelled because the car is still in Charlotte!
I was told that due to Raleigh storage issues cars were actually moved to Charlotte (?!), and others that were en route were diverted to Charlotte. My patience and understanding are wearing thin! Can’t understand why it takes over two weeks to get the car from Charlotte to Raleigh. I could have picked up the car in Charlotte if I knew this was going to be an issue.
UPDATE on my situation:
Just got a call from the new (as of last week) delivery mgr. in Raleigh. He "assured" me that he put my VIN on the list to move this week, so delivery is still possible by the end of the week(end). He seemed intent on resolving the storage/delivery mess in Raleigh.
In addition to the storage lot that was lost as reported in other posts, he told me that Raleigh was storing cars on the street and the police finally told them to get them moved ASAP. That added to the moves to Charlotte. Still no excuse - looks like extremely poor planning on the part of Raleigh/Tesla mgmt. If you have seen the Raleigh "showroom", there is no way that it is sufficient for the long term, to say nothing of the present situation.

Yeah the Tesla SC/sales offices in Raleigh are a joke compared to other locations. There is a good bit of room behind the SC building - they can fit about 20-30 cars back there. More than I would have thought by looking at the front, but not nearly enough. And I expect those spots to fill up/be reserved for cars going through QC and/or actual service appointments going forward. I know Raleigh has continued to grow at an exponential rate since we left 6 years ago, but there's got to be a lot somewhere they can find and secure (by purchase or lease) for long term use.

I didn't think Raleigh had a full time delivery manager... that explains why we talked to a guy that normally worked in OH on our first delivery date. I wish they had been more forth coming about that info from the get-go. Hopefully now that they have someone full time, the issues will start to get better. I know being able to get ahold of a manager in CLT is what really got us moving. Their delivery team overall were definitely busy and overwhelmed, but didn't drop the ball nearly as much as the team in Raleigh.

@srharris22 - we switched to calling the local SC(s) about 3 days before our original delivery date. Since they can have eyes on the car, I found they were able to give more up to date info than our IDA who was based in Nevada. But it took actual phone calls to get answers - emails were ignored/lost in the shuffle.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Sg911
When Raleigh Sales lost access to their storage lot, it really put a damper on their ability to receive cars from the distribution hub. They only have 5 official spots at their location, and can't park any cars without license plates on the street, according to Raleigh PD. Some of their neighbors are allowing them to use some spots, but that is not a good long-term solution. Serivce needs most of their spots for cars being serviced. I think a lot of the spaces in that complex are supposed to be reserved for customers of the businesses.

They are actively working on getting a new storage lot. I made a few suggestions when I was there today. According to someone I know who owns a business on Glenwood, some of the large auto groups own some (many?) of the parking lots along there and may be trying to prevent Tesla from securing one. (Which is really pathetic, if true!) Anyhow, if you know of a place, don't post it here, just call up Tesla and talk to Mike. He's the new delivery manager as of a few days ago. Seems to be a good guy. I don't envy the challenges he will be facing, but I'm sure they'll get it squared away.

Sounds like my car may make it up from Charlotte next week. Not counting on it until I know it's on the way. (But I'm optimistic enough to have scheduled PPF and ceramic at TVP Auto. ;))

Could anyone tell me how Raleigh SC lost their storage lot? This sounds incredible silly that a SC could lose its storage lot in the middle of the busiest time of its delivery. This is very poor planning. Is this also the reason they have a new delivery manager? I assume the last one was fired.

Could anyone tell me how Raleigh SC lost their storage lot? This sounds incredible silly that a SC could lose its storage lot in the middle of the busiest time of its delivery. This is very poor planning. Is this also the reason they have a new delivery manager? I assume the last one was fired.
Property owners sold the property as I understand. Unfortunately that can happen with little to no warning.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden