Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raleigh to Spokane routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m making this round trip later this year and am asking for recommendations for which route to take - via ND, via SD, via NE, or via KS. All four east/west routes are navigable, but which one seems to be the most scenic/least hassle? ABRP & Tesla navigation don’t provide real-world experience.

While I’m asking, why would anyone go through East-side Chicago (Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis) as both programs suggest instead of avoiding the city and going Indianapolis, Champaign, Madison, Minneapolis? I have to think Chicago traffic makes this alternative route preferable.

I’m making this round trip later this year and am asking for recommendations for which route to take - via ND, via SD, via NE, or via KS. All four east/west routes are navigable, but which one seems to be the most scenic/least hassle? ABRP & Tesla navigation don’t provide real-world experience.

While I’m asking, why would anyone go through East-side Chicago (Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis) as both programs suggest instead of avoiding the city and going Indianapolis, Champaign, Madison, Minneapolis? I have to think Chicago traffic makes this alternative route preferable.

I have taken both the north and south routes from the northwest down to Tulsa and back. They both have some interesting scenery. Have even gone through the Texas panhandles lineup that way. I haven't been disappointed in any of the trips. I think I like the one through Colorado a little better. But, not a lot of different honestly. I enjoyed them all. The south route, was not as great, but going through New Mexico was fun.

I agree with you 100%. I would and do avoid Chicago -Ft Wayne area at all costs. It’s always under construction, so you’re into 2 lanes in heavy traffic all day and all night, it’s industrial landscape,all you think about is how to get off as soon as possible and praying you’re not in one of the accidents on top of the construction. Nebraska across Hwy 20 is very scenic, much more than SD, but charging is limited. Some CCS chargers are going in but I don’t know exact status. Recent trip in Tesla from Lincoln to DC, I took northern route from Hannibal MO to St Joseph MO to avoid St. Louis. It’s a good route w hills and farmland. Get full 90% charge at either end and you’ll be fine unless winter. (MX long range, I think about 344 kw/mile).

None of them are particularly scenic to be honest with you. I've driven I-70, 80, and 90, but not I-94. I think I'd be looking at what the trip looks like on each route i.e. where are you spending nights? Is there anything you want to do there? Where does ABRP have you stopping for supercharging and going off of amenities from there. Do you want to divert to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone spend time in Chicago, Minneapolis, etc?

The only other factor I'd consider if you really don't care on routing is, depending on when this trip takes place, weather factors could make a difference in efficiency.
It is probably a rudimentary distance and speed limit optimized route that isn't accounting for traffic. I wouldn't drive through on the East side like ABRP is telling you, but I also wouldn't hesitate driving through Chicago further West on I-294 as Google maps suggests where the only portion you are likely to potentially encounter heavy traffic is by O'Hare.

If you swung through Champaign and Bloomington and then headed North to Madison, you are effectively adding 40 miles to the trip. While fairly insignificant on a trip of this length, assuming I-294 is moving, that is an extra 35-40 minutes added to avoid Chicago. That is why none of the mapping services are telling you to go that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kdewalt10
None of them are particularly scenic to be honest with you. I've driven I-70, 80, and 90, but not I-94
Interstates are generally put where it is cheapest to build superhighways, not where it is scenic, they are fast though.
Basically, as @Prairie points out, taking smaller highways will be most scenic but charging becomes more challenging (ie hassle).
If you like mountains and pastoral farmlands, I-70 to Colorado is more scenic. If you're into wild, rough badlands, cutting north to I-90 to go through the badlands will be interesting.
In winter, staying south as long as possible is recommended.
I might recommend I-70 outbound and I-90 back, cutting north-south on small highways where charging is available.

None of them are particularly scenic to be honest with you. I've driven I-70, 80, and 90, but not I-94. I think I'd be looking at what the trip looks like on each route i.e. where are you spending nights? Is there anything you want to do there? Where does ABRP have you stopping for supercharging and going off of amenities from there. Do you want to divert to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone spend time in Chicago, Minneapolis, etc?

The only other factor I'd consider if you really don't care on routing is, depending on when this trip takes place, weather factors could make a difference in efficiency.

It is probably a rudimentary distance and speed limit optimized route that isn't accounting for traffic. I wouldn't drive through on the East side like ABRP is telling you, but I also wouldn't hesitate driving through Chicago further West on I-294 as Google maps suggests where the only portion you are likely to potentially encounter heavy traffic is by O'Hare.

If you swung through Champaign and Bloomington and then headed North to Madison, you are effectively adding 40 miles to the trip. While fairly insignificant on a trip of this length, assuming I-294 is moving, that is an extra 35-40 minutes added to avoid Chicago. That is why none of the mapping services are telling you to go that way.
Great suggest I was going to say this^^^^^
Or once you get to I-80, go west from there and then either at DSM or at council/Omaha is where you would break north then take I-90 from there

A couple notes if you take one of the northern routes. The supercharger at Sioux Falls is a poorly placed 120 kW V2 right outside a liquor store entrance so iceing is a major problem there, I’d bypass it if you can or at least try to be there when the liquor store is closed.

The i-94 route is dull until you get past Bismarck and gets better as you go West, stop at the painted canyon rest area if it’s open exit 32. Plan for a long charge at Miles City as it’s 150 mi to the Billings charger with 80 mph speed limits and headwinds can be strong in MT. All the superchargers on i-94 from just NW of Minneapolis to Miles City are V3 250kW.

i-90 is similarly dull until you get near Wall except briefly where you cross the Missouri river. The chargers are V2 120 or 150 kW so it’s shorter than i-94 but you’ll spend more time charging.

i-80 across Nebraska basically has no scenery and the chargers are a mix of old and new.

Avoid Chicago unless it adds a ton of miles, I’d stay on i-74 until you get to i-39. If you have to go through take i-80 West to i-294 (or further out to i-355 if 294 is jammed) to i-90, don’t take i-94 through Chicago and Milwakee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petermcg
I've never driven on I-94 or I-90 but have done I-80 and I-70 some. I-80 has some pretty cool looking desert plateaus and bluffs in the Wyoming area. But the forest mountain areas that I-70 passes through in Colorado are really beautiful. And you get to pass near enough to the Gateway Arch in St. Louis to get a good view of it.