Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thread may soon be moot in Los Angeles but in other parts of the country perhaps not so fast. I'm hoping to enjoy a modicum of selectivity for a least a little while. Hope Model S's don't soon become what BMW's are here -- a dime a dozen, common currency.

+1 artsci - This used to be my favorite thread, but I started to lose interest with all of the West Coast "sightings." Yesterday afternoon I was happy to spot the DC test drive car (Green w/mfr. tags) go down the street in DC. I was able to identify it immediately by the LED lights as it came out of the E Street tunnel.

DSC_0192 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

8290862525_c4ee95aaa2.jpg

true... but this area is also the "silicon valley of the east". so a bunch of rich techies abound, yet still no Model S sighting.

i'm kind of hoping that holds up. will be cool if the first S i see is my own when taking delivery! :)

yeah - i go back and forth on that. It would be pretty cool to see one in the wild out here (and i've heard reports of at least one around reston), but on the other hand, there's something to be said for being the "first".

White performance (I think) Model S outside the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu. 19" wheels.

Sure was fun to see both a roadster Sport and S on the trip!

Sighting was 2 hours ago approximately!

Talk about random...

On the drive down from the factory yesterday, I saw my first Model S in the wild at the Harris Ranch SC. We pulled up only to find the only spot was being used by white Model S. As happy as I was to see my first one on the road, I was only thinking about the possible delay in getting juiced up. Not 5 seconds later, a gentleman walks by my window and gives me a thumbs up. I rolled down the window, and asked him if that was his car. It was, and he indicated he was leaving. I was peppering him with questions, even though it was raining pretty hard, and before my wife told me to let the poor guy get in his car, he said he was going to San Diego that night. "Ah, we're from San Diego too".

Fast forward to today, and I met up with a Sig Model S holder, PSullivan, who lives less than a mile away from me. His neighbor walks over and says "Yeah, there's a white Model S parked down the street!". So the 3 of us drive over with our 2 cars, surround it, and snap some pictures of the patriotic Model S's. Pat knocks on the door of the house where the Model S is parked in front of, and who is it? The same folks I saw 300 miles away the night before! They live in bay area, and were visiting family down here.

IMAG1076.jpg

After chatting away for the better part of an hour, we go our ways, and not more than a minute later, I see the distinctive headlights of a Model S coming at me, but it's a silver car. WTF? It was the store manager of the local Tesla store, visiting his sister who lives in the neighborhood. With the holiday break, and the usual resting place for the demo car being the service center, which is packed to the gills with S's waiting to be delivered, he decided to take it home instead of leaving it in the mall parking lot.

So, after not seeing any S's for months, I see 3 in my neighborhood literally within 5 minutes. Crazy!

What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Living in Palo Alto is a real treat. I have seen at least one every single day (not including my own).

People either have their jaw drop and stare for as long as possible. Give me a thumbs up. Or completely and totally ignore me.

Today I parked beside a Dolphin Grey non-Performance Model S (VIN 1551) at Target, Fremont (Pacific Commons), CA. GPS data is in the EXIF info.

WP_20121224_027.jpg

Last night, I spotted a white Model S inside the parking garage (Nordstrom wing) of Westfield Valley Fair, Santa Clara, CA. On the way home, I spotted what appeared to be a brown Model S at 880-N near Alvarado Niles Rd. No pics available for those two sightings.

Today I parked beside a Dolphin Grey non-Performance Model S (VIN 1551) at Target, Fremont (Pacific Commons), CA. GPS data is in the EXIF info.

View attachment 13421

Last night, I spotted a white Model S inside the parking garage (Nordstrom wing) of Westfield Valley Fair, Santa Clara, CA. On the way home, I spotted what appeared to be a brown Model S at 880-N near Alvarado Niles Rd. No pics available for those two sightings.
The Leaf behind you looks lonely.

How do you know when a Model S is not a performance? Badging?

The only way to really tell is to break down the VIN:

From Doug's thread:
Digit 8, Motor/Drive Unit & Battery Type: C = Base A/C Motor, Tier 2 Battery (31-40kWh)
G = Base A/C Motor, Tier 4 Battery (51-60 kWh)
N = Base A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)
P = Performance A/C Motor, Tier 7 Battery (81-90 kWh)

There are tells if a Model S is definitely a performance, as there are options that are only available with the Perf package (CF interior, different seats), but it's possible for someone to order a performance model without these options, and to downgrade to the 19" wheels.