Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cars I now own are red, blue & yellow! Nice set but I think the yellow one will go away soon. I have begun really looking at the cars in any given parking lot. It normally goes something like: black, black, beige, silver, white, black, white, grey, hey!- a green one, then grey, white, white, black, grey. You get the point. My question is, do manufacturers offer us those colors because that's what we want to buy? or, do we buy those colors because that's what we're offered?

Perhaps a bit of both. Manufacturers make the colors that will appeal to the masses (80/20 rule). Given that there are people that don't like the falcon wing doors ("too showy!"), there are also people who don't want colors that might be perceived as showy. And nothing is worse than producing a few colors that designers are wild about, that Joe and Josephine q. Public leave sitting on a dealer's lot unsold. so, from a corporate standpoint, it doesn't pay to take those risks and offer special colors. Because if someone wants to buy the car, they'll buy it despite it not being offered in fancy colors. "They can have the Model T in any color they want,... as long as it's black!"

Agreed. Here is the current list of Automotive paint colors for North America by popularity ordered.
The muted colors are the most popular in the Luxury market. Black, Silver, White and Gray = 75%.

car-colors-trend.jpg

Fortunately, a few car companies like Porsche still offer some great colors!

Popular-Car-Colors.jpg

Last edited:
I can report 9 Model X at the Seattle SODO service center this morning.

Highest VIN - 840
Two prepped for delivery - Signature Red/White/7 Passenger and Silver/Black 6 Passenger
One White in the service bay.
The rest were out back and looked unlikely for delivery today.

IMG_20151231_091418264_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151231_091424668_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151231_091452555.jpg
IMG_20151231_091500754_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151231_091510178_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151231_091517200_HDR.jpg

Saw five (5) Signature Model Xs at the North Houston Service Center today (3 Signature Red, 1 Midnight Grey, 1 White). They were delivering their first 3 today.

I had flashbacks to one year ago this week, waiting on my P85D while Tesla scrambled to get as many delivered before the end of the year/quarter...

This was an X P90D being delivered...

20151231_203823574_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
I think that colors outside of the grey/white/black spectrum can date a car very quickly. It's like fashion, preferred colors change every year, the difference is a car isn't a dress, it's meant to be around for decades.

I have a 94 land cruiser that I picked up about 5 years ago, it was Emerald Green. I'm sure they color looked cool in 1994 but in 2010 it looked ridiculous. This vehicle is a work/toy vehicle so I've been fixing it up since I bought it, it's white now and turns heads rather than causing people to shield their eyes.

@sub: True dat! I recall the hideous burnt orange color that seemed to be popular with American ICE companies around the turn of the century. But then again, as an interior designer once told me when I was stressing about which colors to choose for the walls of my house, "Dude.... It's just paint.... You can always repaint it later!" :)

I think that colors outside of the grey/white/black spectrum can date a car very quickly. It's like fashion, preferred colors change every year, the difference is a car isn't a dress, it's meant to be around for decades.

I have a 94 land cruiser that I picked up about 5 years ago, it was Emerald Green. I'm sure they color looked cool in 1994 but in 2010 it looked ridiculous. This vehicle is a work/toy vehicle so I've been fixing it up since I bought it, it's white now and turns heads rather than causing people to shield their eyes.

I have a 1996 LC that I refuse to sell. It's white. :)

I always thought that some colors aged very poorly (not giving examples to avoid a debate), but that others have become classics. The "Ferrari red" for example. I'm guessing that both the Sig red and the MC red have a chance to fall into that later category. But I agree - there's a much bigger risk of that with a car that isn't in the "gray" spectrum. But then, there is a bit of a risk in buying a car like this - even now, but of course much more so for the folks who bought in 2012 or 2013. So why not go all out and have a wild color... within the spectrum of what Tesla is offering, of course :)
(and for those who don't see avatars / signatures... my current Model S is MC red - my first one was Dolphin gray)