Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is what appears to be a silver MX at the San Rafael SC today. I realize silver wasn't a signature option, but it was parked next to a white MS, and it looked silver. That said, it was in the back of the garage, and I could be wrong.
Silver wasn't an option but there are Sig reservation holders who say they ordered silver and there's a picture of a silver one. OK, now I'm confused.

There's this silver one that Mikevbf mentioned a few posts ago. Here it is again:
12346178_1632935200304700_57878208_n.jpg

It looks silver to me but I suppose it could be white (reflecting the blue sky) with bad white balance.

Wish we could get the medium silver they discontinued on the S. Saw an S with it yesterday sitting next to a Midnight X. It was a great color. Maybe they will bring it back soon as they added back in the regular silver late in the Sig cycle.
I am unclear on what you mean by "medium silver". That is not a term Tesla shows on their website.
The currently available S and X "Silver Metallic" paint color is the same silver that was available early on in S production, was not available for several months earlier this year but then was made available again a few months ago. It is available right now for both models.
The darker silver, called "Midnight Silver Metallic" is available for both the S and the X right now.
When referring to Tesla paint colors, if the Tesla name is used, there is no confusion as to what color is being referred to.

I am unclear on what you mean by "medium silver". That is not a term Tesla shows on their website.
The currently available S and X "Silver Metallic" paint color is the same silver that was available early on in S production, was not available for several months earlier this year but then was made available again a few months ago. It is available right now for both models.
The darker silver, called "Midnight Silver Metallic" is available for both the S and the X right now.
When referring to Tesla paint colors, if the Tesla name is used, there is no confusion as to what color is being referred to.
I am not sure what the name of the paint was. There were three silver cars at the store. A new silver S, the Midnight X (darker gray metallic) and a medium gray S. The service guy said it was an older color offered in prior years and not available today. And I am not referring to either the Titanium or the black multi color that Elons car is either.

I think it might have been called Gray, but its a metallic.

7897439868_b08f49b8db_k.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure what the name of the paint was. There were three silver cars at the store. A new silver S, the Midnight X (darker gray metallic) and a medium gray S. The service guy said it was an older colored offered in prior years and not available today. And I am not referring to either the Titanium of the black multi color that Elons car is either.
I think it might have been called Gray, but its a metallic.
Okay, now I understand. As others have pointed out, that was I believe called "Dolphin Gray" and was discontinued I think in late 2014 or early 2015.
Part of the confusion is because people use the terms "silver" and "gray" differently. And of course there are infinite shades of each and one persons silver is another persons gray.
I don't expect the Dolphin Gray to come back. I happen to like it (almost got it instead of the Silver Metallic I ended up with) but it was not a popular color.

Heck, there's still confusion using the Tesla paint color namespace. Grey and silver are not the same thing, yet Tesla now calls the dark grey color "Midnight Silver Metallic." It's essentially the same color they have previously referred to as just "Grey Metallic" (on my invoice) and "Steel Grey" (in correspondence at the time). As others pointed out, this replaced the original Dolphin Grey, which was a much lighter shade.

Part of the confusion is because people use the terms "silver" and "gray" differently. And of course there are infinite shades of each and one persons silver is another persons gray.
Well, it wouldn't be so bad if Tesla themselves used "silver" and "grey" consistently, but they offer both a silver and a grey color, and both are called "silver". Go figure. Also, there are not infinite shades of grey; I've heard there are only fifty.

/ducks

Last edited:
Well, it wouldn't be so bad if Tesla themselves used "silver" and "grey" consistently, but they offer both a silver and a grey color, and both are called "silver". Go figure.
Yes, as I mentioned in my post, people use "grey" and "silver" differently, just as Tesla does, hence the confusion. I understand that initially Tesla used different names for the Midnight Silver Metallic color, but now the company has standardized on that name so my suggestion is to use it when referring to that color.

Yes, as I mentioned in my post, people use "grey" and "silver" differently, just as Tesla does, hence the confusion. I understand that initially Tesla used different names for the Midnight Silver Metallic color, but now the company has standardized on that name so my suggestion is to use it when referring to that color.
I find it interesting that so many of the luxury car makers have a monochromatic palette. When test driving a Mercedes B class the other day this was quite striking. Black, various grays and silvers. White. There was a single blue car in the dealer's lot (that was the electric B class).
Tesla has given up on a couple of their non-gray-ish colors (brown and green) and still has a great blue and (at least for Sig reservation holders) two reds (and I guess the titanium isn't quite gray/silver-ish, either).
I really liked the dolphin gray - I don't know why it was discontinued, but the silver metallic is an excellent replacement (and the pictures of the Model X in silver are stunning).