Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random ppl scoping out your car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I'm driving it, it's apparent (I think they're like people who are clueless about politics) there's a large faction of people who just don't know what Tesla is. I don't see that many people outright staring, but you'll see them hanging back... or looking incessantly in their sideview mirrors. I think that it doesn't say Tesla anywhere on it, leaves people that much more perplexed.

Reactions: wbrumfiel
When I'm driving it, it's apparent (I think they're like people who are clueless about politics) there's a large faction of people who just don't know what Tesla is. I don't see that many people outright staring, but you'll see them hanging back... or looking incessantly in their sideview mirrors. I think that it doesn't say Tesla anywhere on it, leaves people that much more perplexed.
I know what a Tesla is, and I'm a reservation holder, and whenever I see a Tesla driving around, I stare at it, I hang back a bit to make sure I can watch it's sweet rear end, I look in my rear view mirror if it's in my lane behind me, I look in my side mirrors if it's behind me in another lane. If I can entice it to change into my lane so I can follow straight behind it, I will. I have let in shitty drivers (the ones who want to cut in at the last minute) just because it was a Tesla and I wanted to watch it. Once I get my own, I won't have to do that anymore. Until I get it, though, every time I see one, I just say "Wow". I point them out to my daughter and son whenever we're driving anywhere.

I know what a Tesla is, and I'm a reservation holder, and whenever I see a Tesla driving around, I stare at it, I hang back a bit to make sure I can watch it's sweet rear end, I look in my rear view mirror if it's in my lane behind me, I look in my side mirrors if it's behind me in another lane. If I can entice it to change into my lane so I can follow straight behind it, I will. I have let in shitty drivers (the ones who want to cut in at the last minute) just because it was a Tesla and I wanted to watch it. Once I get my own, I won't have to do that anymore. Until I get it, though, every time I see one, I just say "Wow". I point them out to my daughter and son whenever we're driving anywhere.

Yep, and you would be among that much smaller faction... I did the same (probably in tune with what's 'going on' in the world as well... folks who just 'get it').

I think you will still do it even after you own one. Maybe even more so.

The DRLs on the S are very very distinguished. If you know what it looks like, you'll spot it from really far away. While the 3's DRLs are also pretty unique, they do not really stand out from a distance, so I think the S gets more attention than the 3. The overall body of the S is also a lot more attention-grabbing. The 3 was designed to fit in more.

I am amazed that people have the ability to catch someone snagging a photo of their car, while driving.

I was approaching a neighborhood rotary, and a car on my left had just pulled in, so I had to yield. He slowed to a stop, seemingly to let me go. So I started to go, and I see his window roll down and phone comes out. :facepalm:

As I mentioned in Received Model 3 Today - SO many problems I'm an introvert, so I'm actually awkward when people approach me to ask me about the car, and every time I return to my car in the parking lot, I hope there's no one there scoping it out so I don't need to talk to them.

Kudos to you guys who can chat away and even give people test drives.

• Love
Reactions: 0ptions and Pkmmte
Driving home after picking up my car in Mt Kisco I stopped at the superchargers in Erwin, NY. I walked over to the Dunkin Donuts next door to um, take care of some business and when I came out a 20-something asked me if that was my Tesla outside. I said yes and he asked if he could ask me some questions. I said sure, I've only had the car for less than 5 hours but I know everything there is to know about it from reading the forums. He went on to ask about range, time to charge, the usual fare. I laughed to myself afterwards thinking I had barely even started driving the thing and already had someone stop me to ask about it.

Today I got a few rapid short honks from somebody. I don't think I was doing anything wrong or driving badly, and my wife said, I think he was checking out your car. Then not 1km down the road as I was turning a corner I see somebody else practically stick their head out the window looking at my car while yelling "woah!"

I'm one of the first few in my area.

I am amazed that people have the ability to catch someone snagging a photo of their car, while driving.

I was approaching a neighborhood rotary, and a car on my left had just pulled in, so I had to yield. He slowed to a stop, seemingly to let me go. So I started to go, and I see his window roll down and phone comes out. :facepalm:

As I mentioned in Received Model 3 Today - SO many problems I'm an introvert, so I'm actually awkward when people approach me to ask me about the car, and every time I return to my car in the parking lot, I hope there's no one there scoping it out so I don't need to talk to them.

Kudos to you guys who can chat away and even give people test drives.

This is the exact wrong type of car for us introverts lol. I have to say, though, keep talking about the car. If we make it about our babies, we can still be introverts at heart.:cool:

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
So when we pass each other do we do the "jeep wave" by coolly lifting 4 fingers off the steering wheel?
I keep telling my wife we should do the Shaka sign (which looks like a T) when we drive past another Tesla owner. She thinks I’m nuts.

Attachments

• B3873AA8-5105-4D77-93CB-57E93B26133F.png
    B3873AA8-5105-4D77-93CB-57E93B26133F.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Funny
Reactions: 0ptions and Pkmmte

"so who makes it?"
"Tesla"
"yeah but who makes Tesla?"

...."Tesla" lol

Reactions: 0ptions and Emmexx1
So, quick story, not random people, but the folks i train with know I've been waiting on this car. I had been talking about it off and on since forever. I finally get it, bring to training so all can see after we are done. One guy walks around with another from our group, twice, and shakes his head, then looks under the back end. Finally, he turns to me and asks where the gas cap is. I was stunned. I said, "Dude, its a Tesla." He said, right, a hybrid. I said no, a full EV. That started a full discussion about EVs, range, the SC network, all that good stuff.

Another funny quick story, I had an outside worker come to my workplace for 2 days to fill in for an employee. he says "I heard a rumor that the guy here has a real nice car" and one of my coworkers said "yeah he owns the Tesla." and the guy was like "Tesla..? is that like a Prius?"

sure its like a Prius, except mine goes 0-60 10 seconds faster. lol