Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety 180 miles roundtrip to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will be fine. You'll have to charge to 100% which is fine to do (just not nightly).

my first long trip I drive 75 mph with range mode on got 326 wh/mile. That would be a 230 mile range on a 75 kW battery.

It was 90 outside and I had air at 70 blasting the whole time (no tint yet).

At 80 mph range mode on I got 414 wh/mile (181 range on 75 kW)

So, don't go 80. Also, I think the 75 is lighter (smaller battery) and powered down (less strain) over the 90D, so your average wh/mile should be better.

If there is a supercharger that you could stop at but don't want to, get the 75mand never think about it again. The supercharger will give you +50 miles in 10 minutes if that.

Reactions: X Fan
Remember, rated miles are based on your consumption, not battery capacity. It is always changing based on your recent averages.
No, this is not true at all. Rated miles means the EPA rating. It only changes when Tesla changes the algorithm slightly on different firmware versions. The trip planner will show predicted miles based on recent consumption, but that is different from rated miles.

No, this is not true at all. Rated miles means the EPA rating. It IS the battery capacity when driven in the EPA test cycle. It only changes when Tesla changes the algorithm slightly on different firmware versions, as battery capacity can't be measured directly. The trip planner will show predicted miles based on recent consumption, but that is different from rated miles.

It's still hard for me to justify spending $10k for an 8% boost in range. I figured out a solution. I stop by one of my restaurants every time I head north and it's right off the highway. I'm going to install a Tesla wall charger at that store and charge whenever I stop by there, usually for an hour or two which should be enough to get me home. If not then I will stop at the supercharger and possibly upgrade to the high amperage charger in the car.

Or you could just install a 220V-50A NEMA 14-50 and bring your UMC along and save some money over the Tesla charger. A one hour stop will give you 26 extra miles.

The 90D will be a worthwhile upgrade since you get the SAS and also faster 0-60 time so it is not just $10k for the batteries.

Reactions: gavine