Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety 180 miles roundtrip to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you "need" to go that fast or are you just doing it because you know you'll be tired and want to shorten the trip? With Auto Pilot, that problem goes away so why not leave 15 minutes earlier, go 70MPH in Auto Pilot and enjoy the ride?

The air conditioning doesn't use as much as you might think. Maybe 2 to 3 miles per hour in recirc mode. So, with 4 hours of driving, you're looking at a loss of maybe 6 miles. You can easily regain that by slowing down.

Regarding the charge to 100%, if you only do it once a week, and you drive it shortly after charging is complete, it's not a problem.

If you decide on the 75kWh, you'll know when you arrive at your store the first time how much range you used. If less than half, you'll know you can get home (account for a buffer of course). If not, then stop at the Supercharger for 5 or 20 minutes. Is that worth $10K?Probably.

With all of that said, you will definitely be happier with the 90, but I think the 75 will work for you.

I would be using the Ocala Supercharger, Orlando/Ocoee, and Port Orange. Does anyone know how Tesla handles battery upgrades? Would I save money on an upgrade down the road if I have a bigger battery now? I'm thinking they could eventually phase out the 75 and stick to the 90 kwh and therefore trade in price on the 90kwh battery would be more than the 75kwh.

In addition to the range being less at high speeds, there will be some battery degradation the first year. After 3 1/2 years and 57,000 miles my S85 charges to 250 rated miles vs. 265 rated miles when new.

I will also strongly advise to be extra alert if you are planning to drive on AP at such high speeds. You have to be ready to take control in a split second if AP gives up, and must still keep your eyes on the road. As you may be aware from the recent fatal accident in Florida, the AP may not detect some cross traffic. Does your highway route include intersections like that? Be very careful when on AP. The old and proven way of taking a short power nap could be more helpful before your long ride back.
Fatal autopilot crash, NHTSA investigating...

Yeah, I know, this post will be disliked a lot. But that's the current state of AP. It's not your chauffeur :(

Last edited:
Reactions: F123456
I would be using the Ocala Supercharger, Orlando/Ocoee, and Port Orange. Does anyone know how Tesla handles battery upgrades? Would I save money on an upgrade down the road if I have a bigger battery now? I'm thinking they could eventually phase out the 75 and stick to the 90 kwh and therefore trade in price on the 90kwh battery would be more than the 75kwh.

Ocala SC is also very good with nice amenities and decent speed (although a little off highway).

Echoing comment above I've driven about 5k AP miles on i75/i95 up/down Florida and east coast. I can tell you it is still a little quirky, particularly on bridges where lines tend to disappear and in light traffic I'm very comfortable with software.

However, in areas with heavy traffic and/or construction areas (which i75/i4 has a lot of around Tampa/Orlando) I engage but actively monitor with hands on wheel at all times.

In addition to the range being less at high speeds, there will be some battery degradation the first year. After 3 1/2 years and 57,000 miles my S85 charges to 250 rated miles vs. 265 rated miles when new.
Remember, rated miles are based on your consumption, not battery capacity. It is always changing based on your recent averages.

I read in multiple place at the forum that buying a new battery now cost $22k USD. It is definitely way more than the incremental difference that you pay now between the 75 kwh and 90 kwh.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
90D only way to go...I do a 170 mile round trip twice a week from OC to San Diego County. I charge 90% so its pegged at 231 miles when I start. If I can control myself and leave the auto pilot at 72 mph then I end up with 40-50 miles of range left over. When I am pushing and driving my normal 80-85 I end up with about 20 miles of range left over..So that is losing about 40 miles of rated range due to speed....I also have the 22" wheels......

It's still hard for me to justify spending $10k for an 8% boost in range. I figured out a solution. I stop by one of my restaurants every time I head north and it's right off the highway. I'm going to install a Tesla wall charger at that store and charge whenever I stop by there, usually for an hour or two which should be enough to get me home. If not then I will stop at the supercharger and possibly upgrade to the high amperage charger in the car.

Reactions: xyeahtony
I will echo what most are saying here and recommend you get the 90D, you will get better battery performance by charging to 90% daily and not have to change your charge limit on a weekly basis. Also allows you to make a detour if need be and not cut it too close. At the speeds you are driving I would make another recommendation, remain alert and aware continuously while using AP. It is a great driver assistant but not yet a driver replacement. I drive over 100miles/day and AP does help reduce my driving stress but my hands are always on the wheel and my eyes are always on the road.

It's still hard for me to justify spending $10k for an 8% boost in range. I figured out a solution. I stop by one of my restaurants every time I head north and it's right off the highway. I'm going to install a Tesla wall charger at that store and charge whenever I stop by there, usually for an hour or two which should be enough to get me home. If not then I will stop at the supercharger and possibly upgrade to the high amperage charger in the car.

If you own a restaurant you may be able to take advantage of tesla's destination charging program. Not exactly sure how it works, but I think tesla will comp you the hardware. Check out their website about destination charging. I think there maybe a teslarati article about it as well.

If you own a restaurant you may be able to take advantage of tesla's destination charging program. Not exactly sure how it works, but I think tesla will comp you the hardware. Check out their website about destination charging. I think there maybe a teslarati article about it as well.

I already tried contacting them about installing one a few months ago and they were not interested in having any installed in my area.