Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety 180 miles roundtrip to work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a lot for work. The furthest store I visit once a week is 90 miles but most are 50-75 miles from my house. Highway driving comprises about 90% of my trip at a speed of 85-90mph being honest. I've been doing these drives for years and years and thus my main reason for buying a Tesla is for autopilot because I feel drained by the time I get to work.

Ordered a Model X 75D a few days ago because I can't rationally justify spending $10k more for 20 more miles of range with the 90D. The rated range is 237 miles for a 75d and I want to be sure that I can go 180 miles round trip with out stopping for a charge. How accurate is the EPA estimate of 237? Does anybody have real world experience of driving 100+ miles a day during the work week? Will I lose significant range over time/miles? I average 25k miles a year.

I live in Florida where temps get to 100F in summer and my A/C is usually set at 72, terrain is mostly flat.

Thank you for your responses in advance

Cliff Notes:
180 miles round trip to work
ordered 75d with range of 237
Can I make that trip without charging?
Will Range loss after driving 25k a year affect me 4-5 years down the road?

I don't have personal experience (not an X owner). But IMO, you better find a charger or super charger in the route. The range can be much lower at the speeds you are driving and if weather is too hot or cold. Why didn't you choose a Model S, which has a longer range?

If you don't need the X, IMHO, suggest you get the S 90D.

While you can probably cut it with the X 75D, given your 180 mile route you should plan for problems, detours, etc... S 90D will give you that and is better with your preferred driving speed (better aerodynamics).

If you need the SUV, go with X 90D. My opinion only. Can't plan for other stuff that might happen.

Then find as many charger attachments and possible extension cords you can get for your UMC, and everytime you stop, plug in somewhere.

Can't answer range loss personally.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I drive a lot for work. The furthest store I visit once a week is 90 miles but most are 50-75 miles from my house. Highway driving comprises about 90% of my trip at a speed of 85-90mph being honest. I've been doing these drives for years and years and thus my main reason for buying a Tesla is for autopilot because I feel drained by the time I get to work.

Ordered a Model X 75D a few days ago because I can't rationally justify spending $10k more for 20 more miles of range with the 90D. The rated range is 237 miles for a 75d and I want to be sure that I can go 180 miles round trip with out stopping for a charge. How accurate is the EPA estimate of 237? Does anybody have real world experience of driving 100+ miles a day during the work week? Will I lose significant range over time/miles? I average 25k miles a year.

I live in Florida where temps get to 100F in summer and my A/C is usually set at 72, terrain is mostly flat.

Thank you for your responses in advance

Cliff Notes:
180 miles round trip to work
ordered 75d with range of 237
Can I make that trip without charging?
Will Range loss after driving 25k a year affect me 4-5 years down the road?
75 Model X will be very tight for 180 miles round trip. You need a Tesla with EPA range of at least 250 mile, for better margin of safety. If money is an issue, go for a Model S, you get more range per dollar spent.

Consider a CPO RWD S85 AP with 19" OEM Michelins as a bridge car for a few years until the 110kW battery/cars are available. With the full-sized frunk, the cargo space will be enviable, and the CPO will come with 50,000 miles of new car warranty. Another option would be an S90D, but you lose the frunk space and the extra range is negligible.

Florida's pretty flat, but so was central South Dakota through the Badlands and a persistent headwind combined with a generous speed limit caused a 100% charge to be worth about 175 miles.

Plan for the worst case and you won't have to worry about the other 95% of the time.

Just my $0.02.

• Helpful
Reactions: WayneMa
Depends how fast you drive. If under 65mph and stop-and-go traffic you'll be fine. But anything faster and you probably won't have enough range. Agree with the other posters, a Model S 90D would be a better choice if range is the main concern.

You won't make it in in a 75D unless you charge to 100%, drive more slowly (or tuck in behind trucks), and avoid adverse weather. You don't want to rely on the first two and can't rely on the third. Our 90D gets about 2/3 of the rated mileage when going 80 with 22" wheels.

237 x 90% = 213
213 x 2/3 = 142

If you can charge at your destination for a couple hours with at least a NEMA 14-50, you'd be OK.

I'm with the suggestion to get a 90D Model S with 19" wheels. Range is still king for a couple more years until we get >100kWh batteries as the baseline.

Last edited:
Reactions: BornToFly
I agree with everyone. If you are driving 85+, there is no way you will make it in the 75D. Definitely get the smaller wheels too. On my Model S, I get almost 10% more range on my 19 inch winter tires than I do on my 21 inch summer tires. My wife in the Model X 90D almost uses the same watt/mile as I do. She has the 20 inch wheels and all season tires, again compared to my Model S with 21 inch summer tires. I do think the faster driving will hurt more in the X vs the S.

The range calculator on the Tesla website for the Model S only goes to 70 mph. But increasing the speed just from 65 to 70 drops the range on the P90D (the least efficient Model S) by 20 miles. If you are driving that fast and that far, get the Model S, 90D, 19 inch wheels.

I should add, that drag is based on velocity squared. So if the Model S loses 20 miles of range going from 65 to 70, it will lose more going to 75, to 80, etc. The Model X, being less aerodynamic, will lose more.

Reactions: ggnykk
And also remember that most of that range loss with speed is due to air resistance. So, even when you plan to go 65 MPH if you are doing it in to a 10 MPH headwind then you are effectively driving 75 MPH as far as your range goes.

I agree with the majority here - you will not be able to accomplish what you need (180 miles, no charge) with the 75 kWh battery.

Mike

We have a baby coming in a few months, so I really wanted an SUV and the Falcon wing doors will make it easy taking a child in and out of the car seat. I do have a supercharger right off the exit on my way from Tampa, to Ocala. I think I will go ahead and upgrade to the 90D. I was hoping to stick with the 75D for now and then upgrade to the 100+ battery when the model 3 comes out, I figure economies of scale would kick in to reduce the battery price. By 2019 I would have 60-80k miles and I could then use the $10k I saved on a new battery with hopefully 50+ miles of extra range.

At those speeds expect to lose 20+% of range miles in normal conditions and more if wind/rain hits (btw: as a Floridian and parent of 3, I kindly suggest tuning down speed.....in any event, Florida has many Superchargers strategically placed around the state & if you are traveling on I75/95 there would be no issues getting a quick refresh charge.