Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety.......I don't want the stress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK , so I was on the Chevrolet website yesterday and it has a mileage travel question. Basically put in where you want to go and it will tell you if you will need to re-charge your Chevy Bolt. (Rated 200 miles according to Chevy) (a little math yourself can do this of course) So, for shts and giggles I put in my upstate house which is 147 miles away. One way. "You will need to re-charge for your trip" WTH! Is it 200 miles or not? To be clear I am NOT buying a Bolt! I will wait for my Model 3. One of my main concerns is getting upstate w/o having to re-charge just to get there or back home. I have calculated this in my head several ways since my reservation. A/C, heat, mountain roads, snow,rain and I drive fast :) etc.....I hope the M3 does not cut this close every time. I may not be at 100% charge each time I go upstate which occurs more often when my wife starts to aggravate me :) :) :)
There is a Tesla supercharger about halfway which is lucky for me but my 2 and a half hour ride has now become more than 3 hours if I need that.
Enough of my whining! My real dream is a Tesla in the driveway. A Tesla Powerwall and solar panels.
I have the solar panels. I reserved my Model 3. Waiting on the Powerwall to hit the market. I am not reserving until I know it will work with my invert-er . I may have the Powerwall before the driveway candy.......time will tell.

Looking at the Bolt website it seems to default to making a roundtrip on one charge - I entered a few locations that were about 126 miles one way and it says it can't make it. Further digging shows it seems to mean it can't make a roundtrip to that location on one charge. I'm sure the Bolt can make a one way trip of 126 miles, wish they'd change the website to allow for destination charging.

I have a home about 160 miles from work in the mountains at about 4000'. EV trip planner says that in the winter at faster driving speeds I may not make it in a Model S70 one way - leaving from sea level. A lot depends on terrain and temptation and speed of course.

OK , so I was on the Chevrolet website yesterday and it has a mileage travel question. Basically put in where you want to go and it will tell you if you will need to re-charge your Chevy Bolt. (Rated 200 miles according to Chevy) (a little math yourself can do this of course) So, for shts and giggles I put in my upstate house which is 147 miles away. One way. "You will need to re-charge for your trip" WTH! Is it 200 miles or not? To be clear I am NOT buying a Bolt! I will wait for my Model 3. One of my main concerns is getting upstate w/o having to re-charge just to get there or back home. I have calculated this in my head several ways since my reservation. A/C, heat, mountain roads, snow,rain and I drive fast :) etc.....I hope the M3 does not cut this close every time. I may not be at 100% charge each time I go upstate which occurs more often when my wife starts to aggravate me :) :) :)
There is a Tesla supercharger about halfway which is lucky for me but my 2 and a half hour ride has now become more than 3 hours if I need that.
Enough of my whining! My real dream is a Tesla in the driveway. A Tesla Powerwall and solar panels.
I have the solar panels. I reserved my Model 3. Waiting on the Powerwall to hit the market. I am not reserving until I know it will work with my invert-er . I may have the Powerwall before the driveway candy.......time will tell.
I didn't take the time to read all the replies so maybe his has been mentioned but the Bolt is a drag ball and will have terrible highway range relative to its city range. It has a drag coefficient of .312 and frontal area of 25.8ft^2 which means it will have about 33% more drag than a *Model S* and somewhere around 50% more than a Model 3. I have no idea why GM would do this but it renders the Bolt much less attractive for road trips than even a 50kwh Model 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bimbels
I didn't take the time to read all the replies so maybe his has been mentioned but the Bolt is a drag ball and will have terrible highway range relative to its city range. It has a drag coefficient of .312 and frontal area of 25.8ft^2 which means it will have about 33% more drag than a *Model S* and somewhere around 50% more than a Model 3. I have no idea why GM would do this but it renders the Bolt much less attractive for road trips than even a 50kwh Model 3.

It'll be great for me as a second car. I'm on my second Volt and drive about 15K miles per year with 13.5K of that being all electric. The Bolt will be a great commuter car and occasional longer range car when I need it and should be out by the time my Volt lease is up.

I can't wait three years for a model 3 and the CPO Model S cars are no where to be found. I'm losing faith (stockholder - long) in Tesla with their lousy QC on the Model X but would take a chance if it didn't have those FW doors.

I
It'll be great for me as a second car. I'm on my second Volt and drive about 15K miles per year with 13.5K of that being all electric. The Bolt will be a great commuter car and occasional longer range car when I need it and should be out by the time my Volt lease is up.

I can't wait three years for a model 3 and the CPO Model S cars are no where to be found. I'm losing faith (stockholder - long) in Tesla with their lousy QC on the Model X but would take a chance if it didn't have those FW doors.
ts true that the Bolt will be a great city car but now is, imo, the wrong time to lose faith in Tesla, wait 18 months and I suspect you'll be glad you did.

...I'm losing faith (stockholder - long) in Tesla with their lousy QC on the Model X but would take a chance if it didn't have those FW doors.
Model X is fine if you are willing to put up with more wind noise, gradual loosing of parts or weather seals, rattles here and there plus more squeaks and thumps than Model S. After driving 58,000 miles in Model S and 3,000 miles in Model X, the above is by experience.

While Model X is a dream to drive, just don't expect the quality at delivery to last forever. Hopefully, modifications over time will allow less wear and tear. Higher quality can be engineered. Improvements can prevent the above from happening. Be patient, it can occur eventually.