Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety on loaner P90X loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm new to Tesla overall, and my model s is getting work done at the service center and I got a signature P90X loaner. It sure is an upgrade. However, I've been quite anxious about the range on this car since I got it about a month ago.
We live in tha Bay Area and we took a day trip yesterday that totaled 152 miles and at the end of the trip there's 27 miles of range in the battery. We had charged the battery to full the night before at 242 miles. It looks like the car probably would have gotten around 170 out of the suggested 242 miles had we run it until it was empty. The weather was in the mid 80's. The trip was mostly freeway with 4 normal sized adults (avg weight 150lbs)and 2 toddlers with minimal cargo. Yes AC was on at the lowest temp and fan speed mostly at 4. I drove quite conservatively at avg speed of 72. AP was off pretty much the whole time.

So my question is is that considered normal? For it to have only 170 miles out of the battery? Again, I'd not had my model s long enough to have comparable date but 170 seems very low to me given the driving condition.
A couple weeks ago, we had another scare where we were about 2 miles away from home and the battery indicated we had 8 miles left. So I kept driving on the freeway at 65 with only my wife and one kid. By the time we got home, it had gone past 0.
Would love to hear your thoughts and experience. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    606.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3424.JPG
    IMG_3424.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 78
With the performance versions, you'll definitely never hit the ideal range since it's just too easy to floor it and feel the rush.
Try turning off ludicrous mode, go into range mode and keep your speed under 60mph. That's what the "242 mile" range means when your battery is charged. Once you turn on AC, go up hills, go faster than 55mph, etc. etc. then your range starts decreasing. You can kind of get an idea that you've been having fun by looking at the second picture - the last charge showed an average of ~400Whr/mi (90k/400=225miles) and
you were using ~600Whr/mi so that's like 150 miles.

Reactions: Jurnimon
With the performance versions, you'll definitely never hit the ideal range since it's just too easy to floor it and feel the rush.
Try turning off ludicrous mode, go into range mode and keep your speed under 60mph. That's what the "242 mile" range means when your battery is charged. Once you turn on AC, go up hills, go faster than 55mph, etc. etc. then your range starts decreasing. You can kind of get an idea that you've been having fun by looking at the second picture - the last charge showed an average of ~400Whr/mi (90k/400=225miles) and
you were using ~600Whr/mi so that's like 150 miles.
Thanks for your input.
I felt like I drove conservatively to warrant something more. The loaner doesn't have ludicrous and the second pix that shows 600Whr/mi is actually misleading because we live up a hill of about a mile and that's why it's skewed the numbers. I'd find 225 miles very reasonable though.

Hi,

I'm new to Tesla overall, and my model s is getting work done at the service center and I got a signature P90X loaner. It sure is an upgrade. However, I've been quite anxious about the range on this car since I got it about a month ago.
We live in tha Bay Area and we took a day trip yesterday that totaled 152 miles and at the end of the trip there's 27 miles of range in the battery. We had charged the battery to full the night before at 242 miles. It looks like the car probably would have gotten around 170 out of the suggested 242 miles had we run it until it was empty. The weather was in the mid 80's. The trip was mostly freeway with 4 normal sized adults (avg weight 150lbs)and 2 toddlers with minimal cargo. Yes AC was on at the lowest temp and fan speed mostly at 4. I drove quite conservatively at avg speed of 72. AP was off pretty much the whole time.

So my question is is that considered normal? For it to have only 170 miles out of the battery? Again, I'd not had my model s long enough to have comparable date but 170 seems very low to me given the driving condition.
A couple weeks ago, we had another scare where we were about 2 miles away from home and the battery indicated we had 8 miles left. So I kept driving on the freeway at 65 with only my wife and one kid. By the time we got home, it had gone past 0.
Would love to hear your thoughts and experience. Thanks.
yes, this is normal, see my thread: I Ran My MXP90D Down to 0%!! (or negative?)

this was 182 miles...

I'm guessing that your loaner also has the 22" wheels?

I also don't have Ludicrous which probably doesn't apply in this case anyway.

Reactions: Jurnimon
And yes loaner does have 22" wheels which I know do not help. Now I wonder how folks with 60kw packs do any semi long travels.
I have no problem getting under 300Wh/mi driving with AP at 70-75mph in recent warm weather here in SoCal on longer trips. City/local driving is another story.

At that rate it seems like mine can go as many miles as a P90D.

IMG_7386.JPG

Last edited:
10% penalty for 22" - seems very high to me! In my model S (had the original P85+) the penalty for the 21" was around 3-4%
yes, but these are very wide as well, and 500-600lbs. heavier than a MS...its actually very hard to get below 400 wh/mi at 75mph.

also, although not listed now, Tesla used to say 10-15% range loss with 22" wheels on the website...

I won't lie. Before I I started this thread, I hadn't even known to pay attention to the Wh/mi portion of to dash. So after some of you suggested, I charged up the car this morning and drove around with the intention of keeping it around 300Wh/mi. I could honestly say it's almost impossible. The mere 13 miles I've put on is a mix of highway and local roads. Temperature is in the mid 70's with AC on. I drove SLOWWWWWWLY, definitely at or below the speed limit with regent braking on. This is the best I could do? What am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_3432.JPG
    IMG_3432.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 65
yes, but these are very wide as well, and 500-600lbs. heavier than a MS...its actually very hard to get below 400 wh/mi at 75mph.

also, although not listed now, Tesla used to say 10-15% range loss with 22" wheels on the website...
Good thing I went with the 20" - For Model S they said 3% per this - Driving Range for the Model S Family. I am surprised that this goes to to 10-15% for Model X

I won't lie. Before I I started this thread, I hadn't even known to pay attention to the Wh/mi portion of to dash. So after some of you suggested, I charged up the car this morning and drove around with the intention of keeping it around 300Wh/mi. I could honestly say it's almost impossible. The mere 13 miles I've put on is a mix of highway and local roads. Temperature is in the mid 70's with AC on. I drove SLOWWWWWWLY, definitely at or below the speed limit with regent braking on. This is the best I could do? What am I missing?
With the P90D - the rated wh/mile is around 330 wh/mile (this may be higher with the 22"). You can never get 300 (unless you were hypermiling!!). It is potentially possible in the non perf versions. If you can get to 330 Wh/mile - then you can get the rated range

Probably has performance tires as well, instead of low rolling resistance efficient tires. Lots of range hits.

You may also have had a bad headwind, or lots of elevation changes.

Slowing down just 5 MPH can save a lot of your range if things are looking tight. The X is not super aerodynamic.

I would say you were on target. Its going to be anywhere from 160 to 190 max for a full charge...unless you are on a road trip I cant imagine that wouldn't cover 98% of the useful daily driving. You can be hyper sensitive and coddle your driving habits for an extra 10 or 20 miles and as a result, flat our ruin your driver experience. Short of being one of those people that hog a lane on the freeway doing 65mph on the freeway backing up cars behind them while their drivers mind explode is about the only way you'll break 200 miles and really, that doesn't sound like fun being the driver, or being stuck behind you!

I think the 22" wheels make a little difference, but its not a huge difference. I would factor the newness of the tires being a factor like a previous post suggested. Outside of that, the biggest thing that got me into the higher mileage on a single charge was ensuring correct tire pressures and a 4 wheel alignment - mine was WAY off being correct....think snowplow toe in driving down the road.

Drive your car as it was intended - its not a delicate flower. Also, there is a good 15 to 20 miles after it reaches zero - especially if you are freeway driving. I've been there a few times - I don't make it a habit, but just like ICE cars they have a reserve after you reach 'empty'.

I would say you were on target. Its going to be anywhere from 160 to 190 max for a full charge...unless you are on a road trip I cant imagine that wouldn't cover 98% of the useful daily driving. You can be hyper sensitive and coddle your driving habits for an extra 10 or 20 miles and as a result, flat our ruin your driver experience. Short of being one of those people that hog a lane on the freeway doing 65mph on the freeway backing up cars behind them while their drivers mind explode is about the only way you'll break 200 miles and really, that doesn't sound like fun being the driver, or being stuck behind you!

I think the 22" wheels make a little difference, but its not a huge difference. I would factor the newness of the tires being a factor like a previous post suggested. Outside of that, the biggest thing that got me into the higher mileage on a single charge was ensuring correct tire pressures and a 4 wheel alignment - mine was WAY off being correct....think snowplow toe in driving down the road.

Drive your car as it was intended - its not a delicate flower. Also, there is a good 15 to 20 miles after it reaches zero - especially if you are freeway driving. I've been there a few times - I don't make it a habit, but just like ICE cars they have a reserve after you reach 'empty'.
Thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy. It's helpful to know there're other drivers who share my experience. Cannot agree more with the sentiment that one should drive the car as intended. I'll continue to have fun with it.