Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Ran My MXP90D Down to 0%!! (or negative?)

Has Anybody Run This Low? (0%)

• Yes

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 70.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our long road trip last month from TX to OH was great in our 100D. The range estimator was always off by 8%-10%. We drove 5-8 over the posted speed limit. Always charged for an extra 5-10 minutes because of this.

I've found that the Tesla software is extremely conservative and it will yell at you to not go over 55mph or it may even say "charging required to reach your destination" but i kept it steady at 75mph...until the last 10 miles or so cuz i did have a bit of anxiety. lol

I was at San Diego supercharger yesterday and saw one delivered on the back of a tow truck. He said went to 0 and he kept going
Then car said to go 35mph. He came up 1 mile short. To get supercharger to work
AAA driver had to connect a jumper to front battery.

Why? Why do you add 75 miles (257-182) back to 257? What are you trying to calculate?

Let's plan this trip again.

This trip has a distance of 182 miles.

And the battery gauge says 257 rated miles.

Based on the past trip, 257 rated miles spares me 0 miles.

So, I will need to charge up my battery to a minimum of 257 existing rated miles +75 EXTRA miles = 332 rated miles.

Again, My battery gauge needs to display 332 rated miles minimally before I would duplicate the past trip of 182 actual miles.

The extra 75 rated miles is due to speed, wind, elevation, weather, driving style.

-----------Addendum---

Sorry. I think I got your point.

257 rated miles will cover 182 actual miles with 0 miles left so there's no need to add any numbers to duplicate this trip.

However, I guess, to be able to maintain speed without slowing down in the end during the last trip, it is better to have some extra miles.

So I won't start my trip with 257 rated miles but I would charge up extra miles more than that number for comfort and avoiding slowing down.

Last edited:
Did you start with about 257 rated miles.

So based on this experience, won't you need about 75 extra rated miles (on top of 257 = 332) to start with?

I'm a P90D so i started with 250 miles...

the reason why i only went 182 miles is because of several reasons, 22 wheels which take off about 25 miles of range right away, i was going 5mph over (75) which is also 10mph over what Tesla rates their range at...(rated range is based on 65MPH right??) and I also had pretty bad headwind heading due west with power usage as high as 500wh/mile at times...!

I was at San Diego supercharger yesterday and saw one delivered on the back of a tow truck. He said went to 0 and he kept going
Then car said to go 35mph. He came up 1 mile short. To get supercharger to work
AAA driver had to connect a jumper to front battery.
ouch, that sux. i was probably 10 minutes away from being too dead to go any further...however if the supercharger would have been further than that I would have pulled up my plugshare app and tried to find a chademo charger...

i was going 5mph over (75) which is also 10mph over what Tesla rates their range at...(rated range is based on 65MPH right??)
No. Rated range means range on the EPA test cycle.
You got lucky this time, as the displayed rated range (or battery percentage) is just an estimate. Your battery may not be as lucky-- it doesn't like being discharged this low. You're really better off slowing down.

Reactions: FarmerDave
I'm trying to decide whether or not to try a 208 mile stretch (with no supercharger along the way) in my P100D... I've been really worried about the trip (one that runs from AZ to CO). We mapped it all out (it's a regular trip of ours) and saw that the range seemed plausible (with 2 other superchargers along the way) before we purchased the X. But after my first road trip (on the day the X was delivered) from AZ to CA... I realized that the range isn't really the RANGE. it changes based on all the other factors involved in the equation. So that last stretch with no supercharger was giving me all the worries...
But this eases my mind a little.
There is a detour (30 minutes out of our way) to reach another supercharger... if we just don't want to risk it. But we'd have to decide about half way through our last stretch of the trip. Range anxiety is truly a REAL thing.

5 people and baggage in the X will be another factor!

With the help of www.evtripping.com I planned my route from Columbus OH to Lebanon IN and only allowed for a 5% buffer in my settings/preferences on their route planner, (not for the faint of heart!). The following video shows how it went when I left Columbus with 100% SOC...

Amateur... drove a P90D to -15 miles... :) you can sort of tell how much you have left as the power output gets less and less...

IMG_1673.JPG