Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

range degration in the hot summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how much range degradation should I expect in the summer months? today running errands my range went from 249 to 177 (72 miles) but only traveled 54 miles. applying this this ratio to 326 mile advertised range I would only get a range of 245. most of the driving was high way with two short stops and a 40 minute ferry ride where we ran the air conditioner, a loss of 4 miles. 2021 model Y long range.

Degradation is the decrease in battery capacity over time due to age and usage.

What you’re describing is range reduction due to increased energy consumption from high air conditioning loads and highway driving, which is typically higher speed than EPA test conditions.

Just wait until winter, when energy consumption increases substantially due to increased heating loads.

What you’re describing is range reduction due to increased energy consumption from high air conditioning loads and highway driving, which is typically higher speed than EPA test conditions.

Just wait until winter, when energy consumption increases substantially due to increased heating loads.
Houston is not going be severely impacted in the winter I'd wager, it's the summer months that are going to crush that range due to aircon.

Reactions: Big Earl
Realize that to hit the EPA‘s (somewhat misleading) range estimates, you will need to average around 225 wh/mi efficiency.
That wont happen with highway driving, nor with HVAC use. In typical highway use at moderate speeds (70-75mph), this is a 250 mile range vehicle generally. That’s how I look at it. As long as this is understood, there are no surprises.
I dont even pay attention to range by miles early on in my journey and try instead to focus more on battery % and efficiency graphs.

Reactions: Corndart and house9

Thanks Big Earl, Glad to know its not battery degradation. "range reduction" is a better word for it. I see that one has to be careful when planning errands when just running errands around in a large city with many stops. would like to see a remaining range display based on current consumption rate or at least a total miles driven Odometer on the main screen. Also I'm planning to get one of those shades for the roof headliner next summer, hoping that will help.

Realize that to hit the EPA‘s (somewhat misleading) range estimates, you will need to average around 225 wh/mi efficiency.
That wont happen with highway driving, nor with HVAC use. In typical highway use at moderate speeds (70-75mph), this is a 250 mile range vehicle generally. That’s how I look at it. As long as this is understood, there are no surprises.
I dont even pay attention to range by miles early on in my journey and try instead to focus more on battery % and efficiency graphs.
That is good advice. I'm learning that the range remaining indicator on the main screen could get one in trouble, big trouble.