Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range efficiency: Spec vs Reality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jdjnj

Jun 20, 2020
Hey Folks-

I was wondering what your experience is with Range/Milage on your Model Y?

On our 2020 Model Y Long Range awd, we only get 70- 75% range efficiency.
That is to say, if we charge up to 280 miles, and deplete if down to 80 miles stated range, we only have driven 140-150 miles. So let’s call that 75% avg efficiency.

On a fully charged to 300miles, we run shy on a 240mile R/T to see parents, we run shy and have to recharge, so a 4hrs drive becomes 5hrs drive. Not brave enough to run the entire battery down, don’t think I can get AAA to bring out a can of electrons.

What’s your experience- miles driven/miles depleted?

Hey Folks-

That is to say, if we charge up to 280 miles, and deplete if down to 80 miles stated range, we only have driven 140-150 miles. So let’s call that 75% avg efficiency.

On a fully charged to 300miles, we run shy on a 240mile R/T to see parents, we run shy and have to recharge, so a 4hrs drive becomes 5hrs drive. Not brave enough to run the entire battery down, don’t think I can get AAA to bring out a can of electrons.

A range loss of 25% or more is common in winter. Precondition the Tesla while plugged in, especially in the A.M. for at least 20 minutes before driving. Use a trip planner such as ABetterRoutePlanner for detailed route planning information.

Use your Mobile Connector with either the provided 5-15 plug adapter or one of the available plug adapters so you can charge for at least part the time you are at your parents home. Even the slowest 120V/8A charging will net you more than 75 miles of range over 24 hours of charging.

Don't hesitate to charge to 100% just before you depart, or worry if you go below 10% state of charge to reach a SC or reach a destination where you can plug in. If you plan to use a SC be sure to use the Tesla navigation system to route to the SC so that the vehicle will start warming the battery pack while en route to the SC, this will enable faster charging at the SC.

Even the best planning can be affected by inclement weather and head winds. The quickest fix for range anxiety is to drop your speed by 5 to 10 MPH when you start driving.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Both above replies are solid.
ICE don't get rated mileage either.
I will say I don't think Tesla does anything about helping people understand the way efficiency is hard hit in winter simce the heat isn't ICE waste.
With plugged in preheating and long trips though you get closer to rated. Initial cabin heating uses a lot, i have a 7 mile drive to work, in subzero weather energy consumption can triple on that short drive. Long drives since the cabin is heated once are much less impacted.

As has been said so many times in numerous threads, range is very dependent on wind, temperatures, and elevation changes. I have a MYP with 21" Uber and live in Florida. With over 6500 miles, my wh/mi has constantly been dropping, likely as the PZeros get more mileage on them. Over the life of the car, I am now at 259 wh/mi. I also started tracking after the 2020.44 update, and over the past 1300 miles, I'm at 249 wh/mi. This recent cold front has dropped into Northern Fl, and I've done some driving in the 40s. The consumption increased by 10% over the normal A/C consumption. And this is after preheating in a garage. I suspect a lot of the extra usage is going to heat the batteries while driving.

Hey Folks-

Put your car in your sig, if you have big wheels that pretty much explains it right there, could be a million other things though.

To pile on :) :
I think it will be worthwhile to have regional range stats as there are multiple factors at play. All other things being equal, on long trips you should see a significant change in efficiency with relative speed. I think over ~ 60mph, the primary factor is wind resistance (which is exponential with speed) rather than rolling resistance. Even though the Tesla is slippery at 0.23 drag coeff, its still a factor.

FWIW, I have been doing some regular 1hr round trip highway drives with 3000ft elevation gain at the midpoint at 45F weather keeping (relatively) constant speed each trip of 60/65/70/75 mph. The rated wh/mi for the Y is ~ 240 wh/mi. For the 60mph trip, I get about 272wh/mi which is ~13% penalty over the rated. For the 70 mph trip, I get close to 315 wh/mi which is ~32% penalty over the rated efficiency.

I had nothing to do today so I went through a bunch of YouTube videos where tests were run on actual EV ranges seen. Hope this info is of some value to you guys.

Rich

5TWSZAN.jpg

Is the chart accurate? I dont think the EPA range was 326 for the MY LR until it was increased later in 2020. Those test runs were in summer.

Not that it makes a difference, 253 is disappointing at either EPA range. But not unexpected

Have a 2021 Y with just over 2000 km and cumulative efficiency of 222 Wh/km (355 Wh/mi) since the beginning of November in mixed highway/city driving with negligible elevation change. It's not that cold in Canada yet, and I'd be very happy to achieve some of the rates mentioned above!

- Freeways at 70-75 mph when possible
- Lots of slow urban street with ample traffic lights
- I'm using my Acceleration Boost upgrade (0-60) every time I get ;)
- Up and down 2000ft mountains (2x)

MY_efficiency_wed.jpg

Hey Folks-

Reactions: Nolakai and pt19713
Reading that : Is 250km (150miles) doable in a single charge with a ModelY in Winter with snow tires at highway speeds?
I've done two Montreal-Kingston roundtrips, mid-November and late December, 275 km each way. First time I started at 90% and finished around 10%. Second trip from 100% to 6% but it was colder. 120 km/h all the way. I wouldn't try for any further but fortunately I have a 14-50 charging circuit at destination and there's a Supercharger conveniently close to the 401.