Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Bike Rack Trailer Hitch? Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only carry 1 bike on my bike rack (1 Up USA, awesome bike rack), and the range loss doesn't seem to be that significant (less than 10%). There is a 120# max rating on the hitch though, which usually limits you to 2 bikes and a good rack.

The Tesla trailer hitch on the MX is rated for 500 pounds tongue weight when pulling a trailer, so if you have the factory hitch, you should be able to hang the max number of bikes on it that it will hold. I too only haul my one bike and don't see a lot of range loss.

I believe that max weight is 120# per the manual

You’re both right. Tongue weight of trailer is 500lbs on 20” wheels. But that doesn’t translate directly to the bike rack. With a bike rack, the limit is reduced to 120lbs.

Reactions: wreighven
Interestingly, the Model Y weight limit is 160 pounds.

"The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs (72 kg). When carrying bicycles, skis, or other items on the Model Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded."

Interestingly, the Model Y weight limit is 160 pounds.

"The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs (72 kg). When carrying bicycles, skis, or other items on the Model Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded."

It uses a different style hitch. The reciever is part of the bar. We use a quick release reciever.

OK, it is correct that the MX hitch receiver is designed to support only vertical loads up to 120 lbs. From my manual: "The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each."

I guess I need to get someone to talk me through the physics that says a hitch that can take up to 500 lbs tongue weight (which is vertical weight) cannot also support, let's say, 200 lbs of vertical weight when the weight is not trailer tongue weight. What's the difference to the hitch receiver? Not being a smarta** - seriously just trying to understand the difference.

OK, it is correct that the MX hitch receiver is designed to support only vertical loads up to 120 lbs. From my manual: "The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 120 lbs (54 kg). When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs, the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 40 lbs each, or four bicycles weighing approximately 20 lbs each."

I guess I need to get someone to talk me through the physics that says a hitch that can take up to 500 lbs tongue weight (which is vertical weight) cannot also support, let's say, 200 lbs of vertical weight when the weight is not trailer tongue weight. What's the difference to the hitch receiver? Not being a smarta** - seriously just trying to understand the difference.

Good questions... and what about the length of the bike rack, shouldn't the length of the lever increase the force upon the hitch? It seems like there is more involved here than just the weight of the bikes and the rack.

I use a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 Rack with 2 full suspension MTBs on board and see very little impact on range (Still believe <10%)

Also, for people stating vertical weight limits, I have a 5 bike rack coming in that is 85lbs and will consistently be putting 3-4 bikes on (30-33lbs each). I feel pretty confident the MX will be fine. There's a guy on YouTube using a 6 bike Northshore Rack on his MX as well.

I use a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 Rack with 2 full suspension MTBs on board and see very little impact on range (Still believe <10%)

Also, for people stating vertical weight limits, I have a 5 bike rack coming in that is 85lbs and will consistently be putting 3-4 bikes on (30-33lbs each). I feel pretty confident the MX will be fine. There's a guy on YouTube using a 6 bike Northshore Rack on his MX as well.

Wow, six bikes! That makes me feel better about my 3 bikes. I imagine the load limits are conservative... at least I hope they are!

How do you guys handle the constant radar and parking alerts due to the rack (with and without bikes)? I get notified way to often and reversing is a pain due to the alert, even though I can see clearly out the camera and its not an actual problem to park.

How do you guys handle the constant radar and parking alerts due to the rack (with and without bikes)? I get notified way to often and reversing is a pain due to the alert, even though I can see clearly out the camera and its not an actual problem to park.

mine doesn’t have alerts, it just shows the red I’m the rear of the car when I reverse. That’s annoying enough imo but I just deal with it.

Also need to be very careful with Bike Racks on the back in Supercharger stalls, I have a 2 bike Kuat and it can be challenging to get close enough for the short Supercharger cables.

I guess I need to get someone to talk me through the physics that says a hitch that can take up to 500 lbs tongue weight (which is vertical weight) cannot also support, let's say, 200 lbs of vertical weight when the weight is not trailer tongue weight. What's the difference to the hitch receiver?
The difference is the moment arm. The trailer tongue weight of up to 500 lbs has wheel support under the trailer, behind the hitch. That tongue weight pushes down more or less straight on the end of the hitch receiver because of how trailers are axled and because it's connected to a ball. The ball allows the connection to pivot without transferring torsion forces to the hitch receiver. Meanwhile, a cargo tray or hitch mounted bike carrier will have its center of weight well behind the hitch connection point. It doesn't connect with a ball. So every bounce and jiggle transfers a lot of torque into the hitch receiver.

If you install an aftermarket hitch, such as the Draw-Tite hitch that I installed, you'll have a higher tolerance for those forces because it doesn't have the removable receiver so it's more similar to the Y hitch.