Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to take my first road trip in my X60D. I know the range is short, but I'm not sure if I should use range mode or not. Some say it slows down supercharging speeds without increasing range much. Can you please provide advice?

The other lesson that I've read here is to focus on reducing speed to maximize range.

I can't really speak as to long distance highway travel, but i always have range mode on, (I've only done one 260 mile round trip in my car and got 380-400 wh/mile). It makes it louder outside for people to hear me, (the igbt's become more efficient and make more noise), and i need to squeeze as much efficiency while driving on these 22" wheels..i usually see a 70-80 wh/mile improvement around town!!

my best guess if you have 20" wheels is around 300 wh/mile. other road-trippers can help here...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomnook
Lots of incorrect information here.

Range mode does the following:

1. Puts HVAC into "economy" mode. It will use less energy, but will also not be as effective.
2. Allows the battery pack to get colder or warmer before using energy to raise/lower the temperature thereby conserving energy.
3. On P models, puts a torque bias to the front, more energy efficient motor.
4. At one point it turned off the DRLs on US MX cars. I think this changed via firmware at some point. I'm not sure. It was dumb anyway.

Depending on the ambient temperature, range mode will have almost no effect, to perhaps a 7% range boost (data on this has been all over the place.)

If you don't need the extra range, it's suggested you leave it off. The change in battery temp management comes at the expense of battery longevity and degradation.

Range mode has zero effect on charging speeds, with the exception of the roadster, which is a different animal.

1. Puts HVAC into "economy" mode. It will use less energy, but will also not be as effective.
2. Allows the battery pack to get colder or warmer before using energy to raise/lower the temperature thereby conserving energy.
4. At one point it turned off the DRLs on US MX cars. I think this changed via firmware at some point. I'm not sure. It was dumb anyway.

Depending on the ambient temperature, range mode will have almost no effect, to perhaps a 7% range boost (data on this has been all over the place.)

If you don't need the extra range, it's suggested you leave it off. The change in battery temp management comes at the expense of battery longevity and degradation.

Range mode has zero effect on charging speeds, with the exception of the roadster, which is a different animal.

On point #1, I'm still satisfied with the HVAC, but i also drive by myself most of the time so no rear air is on.

On point #3, i guess that's another reason why i can hear more noise from my car. :)

I have a mx60d and leave mine on range mode all the time. I am in SoCal so lots of superchargers where we have driven, have never had an issue but lowest I've gotten is around 70-80 miles remaining before supercharging. Supercharging seems quite fast to me still, I always have to interrupt our lunch or dinner break to move car. 20-30 min typically to charge up.

I aveage 320ish wh/mi on 20" wheels, driving mostly 75mph with AP on during our trips. I've never driven with Range mode off though, I guess I figured with a 60d I should have it on... Hope that helps!

Do you know if there is any data available in regards to range mode and its impact on battery longevity and degradation?

I have a mx60d and leave mine on range mode all the time. I am in SoCal so lots of superchargers where we have driven, have never had an issue but lowest I've gotten is around 70-80 miles remaining before supercharging. Supercharging seems quite fast to me still, I always have to interrupt our lunch or dinner break to move car. 20-30 min typically to charge up.

I aveage 320ish wh/mi on 20" wheels, driving mostly 75mph with AP on during our trips. I've never driven with Range mode off though, I guess I figured with a 60d I should have it on... Hope that helps!

That sounds extremely efficient for the speed you're going. You sure about that number?