Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on my LR AWD seems low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
easier indicator of how much range you have to play with?

personally I find percentage easier for my day-to-day running around. But either way, for a range-challenged, or a charge-away-from-home, journey I put next destination into SatNav and use Energy : Trip to see the prediction of battery charge on arrival. That adjusts for driving style / consumption etc. so provides very early warning if it is going to be touch-and-go

I have had some winter journeys in atrocious weather where normal planning went out of the window and that enabled me to make best-choice for additional charging on those days. I've just looked back for a post I made about "a nightmare trip" of horrendous weather and a range-challenged trip where my Wife tried Supercharger and CHAdeMO for the first time ...

Reactions: Roy W.
I actually find the range estimate in the top corner to be very accurate. Much more accurate than the energy graph, surprisingly enough. I've been on numerous journeys where the energy graph predicts a much lower range, and then the two predictions even out over time.

then the two predictions even out over time

interesting, because by comparison my Energy : Trip prediction is generally right from the start, or there is a plausible explanation for the difference - e.g. I do better than expected because I was in slow motorway traffic for half an hour.

I don't know how long you have had your car, but I wonder if the initial prediction of Energy : Trip graph will improve over time? (I'd be interested to hear, and also other peoples' experiences)

Personally I'm not trusting the top-right figure because it doesn't know if I am going to drive up (or down :) ) a mountain.

interesting, because by comparison my Energy : Trip prediction is generally right from the start, or there is a plausible explanation for the difference - e.g. I do better than expected because I was in slow motorway traffic for half an hour.

I don't know how long you have had your car, but I wonder if the initial prediction of Energy : Trip graph will improve over time? (I'd be interested to hear, and also other peoples' experiences)

Personally I'm not trusting the top-right figure because it doesn't know if I am going to drive up (or down :) ) a mountain.

I don't think either way of calculating remaining range takes account of the route and whether there is a significant uphill or downhill component. It's possible that the percent remaining calculation in the trip planner does, but I haven't been anywhere mountainous enough to establish one way or the other.

me neither, but I have seen posts with screenshots of Energy : Trip with huge "bumps" in the graph which makes me think it does include altitude changes. Pancake-flat around my part of the UK ...

Yes, the energy graph does take into account altitude changes. I recall early in my ownership not understanding how on a short trip that I’d unnecessarily set the nav, the energy graph predicted my SoC increasing at one point during the journey. I kept an eye on it and it was taking into account a steep downhill gradient.

Reactions: WannabeOwner