Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range or Percentage...a Simple Poll

How do you roll?

• I prefer showing range.

Votes: 212 57.9%
  • I prefer showing percentage

Votes: 154 42.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this thread I switched back to "rated" this past few days. I have used "rated" and "percentage" in the past I was using percentage because that is what I set for charging the car and I do not drive that much on a daily/weekly basis.

Anyway, I actually prefer "miles" instead of "percentage" but would prefer the miles was the "projected" miles instead of "rated" miles. My Lexus shows "miles" but I think it is based on recent history like "projected" is.

I wonder if this poll would be different if separated into groups based on availability of charging stations? The percentage SOC measurement looks like the fuel gauge of an ICE vehicle and its purpose is to remind the driver when it's time to buy more fuel. With refuelling stations are at every exit and every second city intersection, the warning of low fuel is sufficient lead time for a quick stop with no range anxiety.

However, for EV owners who do not have easy and quick access to recharging stations battery range estimates make more sense to ensure a charging station can be reached without the aid of a flat bed tow truck.

Eventually as charging stations become abundant we can all switch to percentage but until then I'm staying with range as the right measurement for my driving territory.

I also have a feeling that monitoring range reduces the lead foot syndrome as running the car at rated efficiency makes the battery range estimate more accurate. It could be a Tesla ploy to slow us all down.

Range vs Percentage? Everybody is correct for their driving needs so this poll may not be that meaningful.

I like to keep the Energy App widget up on the right side of my center screen (Trips widget on the left). All that's needed to fix this is for Tesla to add the projected range number to the Energy App widget. It shows up when you open the actual app on the 17" screen so it shouldn't be a big deal to add it to the dash widget. Then you could have battery % and projected range right in your face all the time.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I like to keep the Energy App widget up on the right side of my center screen (Trips widget on the left). All that's needed to fix this is for Tesla to add the projected range number to the Energy App widget. It shows up when you open the actual app on the 17" screen so it shouldn't be a big deal to add it to the dash widget. Then you could have battery % and projected range right in your face all the time.
I agree. Would think this would be pretty easy.

On another forum I also suggested the battery percent be in the battery icon or above it. Or, place vertical lines in the battery icon for say 25%, 50%, 75% to easily see roughly where it is. And (maybe already does it. When at 20% change color from green to yellow and then when < 10% change the color to red.

I agree. Would think this would be pretty easy.

On another forum I also suggested the battery percent be in the battery icon or above it. Or, place vertical lines in the battery icon for say 25%, 50%, 75% to easily see roughly where it is. And (maybe already does it. When at 20% change color from green to yellow and then when < 10% change the color to red.
The battery doesn't have the lines but does already change color to orange and red when it gets low.

Zac at my service centre pointed this out, and it was invaluable driving across the prairies last December.
The range number is by EPA calculation at 200W/km, so if you are stressed for range keep the consumption below 200W per Km.
And then you can really count on the range number.
What you also need in a Canadian winter is counting on a snowmobile suit too, as it is tough to minimize consumption!

• Informative
Reactions: Corsair
Always use range, and when at Supercharger i glance at the next destination and pad it to 20 or 30 percent remaining upon arrival. Never have any issues using this method.
That works if you have enough battery to charge to a 20-30% buffer! It is more difficult when even a 95% charge gives a 5-7% buffer, as I have done many times on longer trip legs. Supercharging higher is so slow that it is quicker to just drive more slowly.

Those with big battery cars won't face this problem unless venturing through the big blank spots on the Supercharger network but for some of us it is routine.