Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Vs. Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone here speak to this comparison with facts and direct knowledge?

I have a Sept 19 build raven, advertised 370 "Range" Now within the first week I tried to charge to 100% just to make sure I can charge to 370, and got 365 while it was still going at a snails pace at the supercharger it was still charging, but I said close enough and left.

Now 2 weeks ago I charged up to 100% for the first time since, typically charge to 90% always at a SC, never at home. 100% got me about 345 which is concerning. I don't commute, or take long trips, have free charging so I drive with a lead foot most of the time because I'm not worried about wasting money on recharging.

Does Capacity and range directly correlate with each other? I know driving, and having some regen during the drive will stretch the charge, but I've seen nothing what so ever, and average about 2 miles per 1% of charge (I leave on %age rather than miles)

Can anyone here speak to this comparison with facts and direct knowledge?

I have a Sept 19 build raven, advertised 370 "Range" Now within the first week I tried to charge to 100% just to make sure I can charge to 370, and got 365 while it was still going at a snails pace at the supercharger it was still charging, but I said close enough and left.

Now 2 weeks ago I charged up to 100% for the first time since, typically charge to 90% always at a SC, never at home. 100% got me about 345 which is concerning. I don't commute, or take long trips, have free charging so I drive with a lead foot most of the time because I'm not worried about wasting money on recharging.

Does Capacity and range directly correlate with each other? I know driving, and having some regen during the drive will stretch the charge, but I've seen nothing what so ever, and average about 2 miles per 1% of charge (I leave on %age rather than miles)
Capacity and range do directly correlate with each other. Tesla does not adjust range to the way you drive. That said remember that measuring the charge of a battery is trickle and will not always give you the same answer for the same capacity. Bouncing around a couple of miles or more is pretty normal, especially if the temperature changes. That said, Tesla has been known to restrict the maximum charge on vehicles using super chargers a lot or are getting older. There is a thread on this. Why don’t you email Tesla through the app and ask if you have a problem. Ask for an appointment. They will remotely check your battery and respond in a few days. My best opinion is that this is related to supercharging all the time and might change if you start charging at wall chargers or such for awhile. If you can install even a 30 amp service at home, you will find your charging experience greatly improved.