Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

range when drafting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you tailgate on the highway it creates a dangerous situation for everyone near you. Yes, you may think you are invincible and can out control any mistake that comes your way, and even have your fancy auto pilot do it for you, but others may not be so fortunate. When you slam on the brakes because the semi had to, the person behind you is the one that loses out. They are the ones that swerve and create a bigger accident.

Simply put, you are creating a more dangerous situation for everyone around you for your own self benefit, and in this case it's apparent you had no idea you were doing this.

Example:

There are some parts of the country where tailgating will get a gun pointed at your face. The life that's endangered is your own and your family. Whether or not that's worth $.50 of electricity I suppose is up to you.

When did driving behind become equivalent to tailgating?

I agree that someone tailgating is asking for trouble, but that's not the same as driving behind someone. Driving 10 car lengths behind a tractor trailer at 55mph can decrease energy use by 20%+ and is I think farther than the maximum (8?) follow distance with EAP.

When did driving behind become equivalent to tailgating?

I agree that someone tailgating is asking for trouble, but that's not the same as driving behind someone. Driving 10 car lengths behind a tractor trailer at 55mph can decrease energy use by 20%+ and is I think farther than the maximum (8?) follow distance with EAP.

Agreed. Unlike ICE vehicles which are catastrophically inefficient, it is not necessary to draft really closely behind other traffic to see a benefit from drafting with an EV. A lot of people are thinking of that Mythbusters episode, I guess, where there was minimal benefit until they snugged up being the tractor trailer. The results would not be the same if they redid the experiment with an EV where the dominant source of loss at highway speed is aero loss - so with an EV reducing aero losses at all helps a lot.

This is why EVs have aero covers...

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
While I don't doubt drafting would increase range measurably it doesn't seem worth it in most cases...

trucks drive slow.

If I'm driving locally I've got plenty of range anyway so don't need "extra" range.

If I'm on a roadtrip I'd waste more time doing 55 behind a big truck than I would just spending an extra few minutes at superchargers along the route and driving faster.

Beyond that the drawbacks of debris throw up from following trucks and being in the far right lane more often (and thus having to deal with EAP dealing with people merging in/exiting all the time)

Not really seeing any upside unless I guess you find The Snowman running point for The Bandit and draft him.

While I don't doubt drafting would increase range measurably it doesn't seem worth it in most cases...

trucks drive slow.

If I'm driving locally I've got plenty of range anyway so don't need "extra" range.

If I'm on a roadtrip I'd waste more time doing 55 behind a big truck than I would just spending an extra few minutes at superchargers along the route and driving faster.

Beyond that the drawbacks of debris throw up from following trucks and being in the far right lane more often (and thus having to deal with EAP dealing with people merging in/exiting all the time)

Not really seeing any upside unless I guess you find The Snowman running point for The Bandit and draft him.

Yes! Draft off of someone doing 75, using the maximum following distance for adaptive cruise! And it does not need to be a semi. Just a regular car will do, ideally a small SUV/CUV with proper mudflaps. Works great, helps a lot.

Agreed. Unlike ICE vehicles which are catastrophically inefficient, it is not necessary to draft really closely behind other traffic to see a benefit from drafting with an EV. A lot of people are thinking of that Mythbusters episode, I guess, where there was minimal benefit until they snugged up being the tractor trailer. The results would not be the same if they redid the experiment with an EV where the dominant source of loss at highway speed is aero loss - so with an EV reducing aero losses at all helps a lot.

This is why EVs have aero covers...

Actually, it is quite the opposite. Since the ICE efficiency is less to begin with, change in overall efficiency not as much as EV. In case of EV, electrical losses are minimal, and on highway most of the loss is because of aero. For that reason difference is even more substantial.

Actually, it is quite the opposite. Since the ICE efficiency is less to begin with, change in overall efficiency not as much as EV. In case of EV, electrical losses are minimal, and on highway most of the loss is because of aero. For that reason difference is even more substantial.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying....which is drafting with EV is more effective than with ICE. So I think we agree!

Hopefully you’ll see fit to agree with my post!

OK, so the ICE is 25% efficient and the EV is 90% efficient. Increasing speed from 50 to 70 mph doubles the wind resistance and the loss, so the ICE is now 12% efficient and the EV is 45%, BOTH due to wind resistance, or as you call it "aero". And that makes the loss more substantial? It's still a 50% loss. This is why gas cars have a ten to twenty gallon tank, and my model 3 only needs a two and a half gallon equivalent tank. It's only substantial because I have a smaller tank, but I don't need a big tank filled with high explosives. If gas were really expensive, as it may be one day, gas cars would be more interested in "aero".