Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rant Post: Teslas for Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, you too! It's too exhausting to deal with; I wish the moderators we're a bit more proactive in that thread so that people can do business.
Selling yourself is just more work, plain and simple. And I agree with the "it's just the internet" comment. However, I've seen cars for sale here where the initial responses were "that's a great price!" or "I just PM'd you". Those ads had all the info on the car (original owner, warranty, VIN, Tesla trade-in offer, CarMax offer etc etc) and probably a low price.
I recently sold some wheels/tires and a roofrack with ads placed here and it was very easy with little back and forth. So, it's not all "for sale" items.

I just read the ad.

The seller posted "Contact me via PM to discuss" early on.

The information is fairly complete, and the car is not OEM. It has upgrades on top of a fairly well loaded model.

IIRC, it's an 18m old car with 75D spec, and should have Supercharging for life?
To configure a new one is about $95k - $7500 = $87,500 + tax. If you are in a no-sales tax state, $67k seems to be a reasonable price if you want a fully optioned car with just over 2 years of normal miles.

Certainly not priced in the stratosphere. Go look what mid-2016 AP1 CPO 75D cars are selling for now.

Reactions: Lee_B
I think this thread has run its course and thanks everyone for the feedback both in agreement and counter to. I want wrap up my comments by replying to a few things Singal3 and DenoB said.

First if it wasn't clear I am the OP. I know there was some comments that the OP got upset but I do want to say in all fairness that both posters edited their comments after I said they cussed at me. Those statements are now "edited" and do not reflect the real conversation or comments.

Absolutely, I did get upset and feel justified in that. I a military guy and integrity has meaning to me.

I am trying to post a car to sell. That is all. I wrote a story trying to explain my decision to sell and trying to answer some questions beforehand to focus on the topic of the car. I hope we can all agree that trolls implying that I lied about a trade in offer, over inflated my price, or being told that my car configured new is 77K is dishonest. I can tell you go to the Tesla configuration site and see that my car configured today is 95,800. I factored in mileage, older AP and Federal tax credit and came up with 70K and then reduced it to 67K to minimize haggling.

Again, I am complaining directly about my post but its happening for almost every user. I asked you to fairly looked at those who posted in response to my advertisements' thread history. Do you see a pattern? I did. Look at mine. Do you see a pattern? I don't. Anyhow, Ill take you feedback and post again later.

@singal3 - Not sure if you were commenting to me about Turo but I proudly display it. Its on my profile tag and not something that needs further disclosure IMHO. My family owns 3 EVs (BMW i3, MS & MX) and all three are on Turo. Its a great extra income and accelerated me getting into a Tesla in the first place. My cars are clean (not clear) titled and well maintained. I don't expect that anyone who is looking at a vehicle with 37K miles assumes it isn't driven.

Agreed that a little concern from TMC members is helpful to potential buyers. I was one of those buyers. I bought from a forum member and I can tell you from my experience the trolling is self serving and doesn't help.

Last edited:
Selling yourself is just more work, plain and simple. And I agree with the "it's just the internet" comment. However, I've seen cars for sale here where the initial responses were "that's a great price!" or "I just PM'd you". Those ads had all the info on the car (original owner, warranty, VIN, Tesla trade-in offer, CarMax offer etc etc) and probably a low price.
I recently sold some wheels/tires and a roofrack with ads placed here and it was very easy with little back and forth. So, it's not all "for sale" items.

I'm going to repost more complete info. I did it initially from the phone and the pictures suck and some info is over a few threads. I got it and thanks

Last edited:
I just read the ad.

The seller posted "Contact me via PM to discuss" early on.

The information is fairly complete, and the car is not OEM. It has upgrades on top of a fairly well loaded model.

IIRC, it's an 18m old car with 75D spec, and should have Supercharging for life?
To configure a new one is about $95k - $7500 = $87,500 + tax. If you are in a no-sales tax state, $67k seems to be a reasonable price if you want a fully optioned car with just over 2 years of normal miles.

Certainly not priced in the stratosphere. Go look what mid-2016 AP1 CPO 75D cars are selling for now.
Thanks MCRat - I am keeping of list of what I omitted. Does have supercharging for life. Just got the performance upgrade too

I don't want to crap in your for sale thread and I'd say a mod should move the majority of that threads posts https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...upgraded-in-northern-va-dc-area.101661/page-2 into this thread.

But I'd like for my own curiosity to try and reproduce your claim on new car equivalent price and you tell me if I do it wrong.

2016.5 MS 75D - NoVA
AP1, SAS, PUP, PanoSun, SubZ, UHFS
Upgrades: Aluminum Pedals, CF Spoiler, Tint, 21 OEM w/ Black Gloss Plastidip

I'm assuming AP1 means you have AP enabled and expect the AP2 car to have EAP enabled to be similar.

I'm assuming the $7,500 tax credit applies (add $7,500 if you don't)

My steps:

tesla.com, click buy, choose model s, click cash, change gas savings to 1 mile per year
base price $68,200
change paint to white, $69,700 (+$1500)
change wheels to 21" $74,200 (+$4,500)
add PUP $79,200 (+5,000)
add EAP $84,200 (+5,000)
I'm not sure on the interior to use those are all $3200 or $3300 if not the standard interior.
So $84,000 to $87,500 to get the new car minus your upgrades.

I'm not seeing $96,000 but then I'm not seeing $77,000 either.

Some will not value the upgrades, some will. Either way you are asking less than a the new car replacement cost.

Probably a good idea to try and put your next for sale listing in that sort of format (base price plus each option and a value for each) so someone can easily see the math for how it adds up.

I don't want to crap in your for sale thread and I'd say a mod should move the majority of that threads posts Officially FOR SALE; 2016 Pearl White Facelift Model 75S Performance Upgraded in Northern VA/DC Area into this thread.

But I'd like for my own curiosity to try and reproduce your claim on new car equivalent price and you tell me if I do it wrong.

I'm assuming AP1 means you have AP enabled and expect the AP2 car to have EAP enabled to be similar.

I'm assuming the $7,500 tax credit applies (add $7,500 if you don't)

My steps:

tesla.com, click buy, choose model s, click cash, change gas savings to 1 mile per year
base price $68,200
change paint to white, $69,700 (+$1500)
change wheels to 21" $74,200 (+$4,500)
add PUP $79,200 (+5,000)
add EAP $84,200 (+5,000)
I'm not sure on the interior to use those are all $3200 or $3300 if not the standard interior.
So $84,000 to $87,500 to get the new car minus your upgrades.

I'm not seeing $96,000 but then I'm not seeing $77,000 either.

Some will not value the upgrades, some will. Either way you are asking less than a the new car replacement cost.

Probably a good idea to try and put your next for sale listing in that sort of format (base price plus each option and a value for each) so someone can easily see the math for how it adds up.

My car as configured is 95,800 if bought new today.
The model 75D is 74k not 68k
Pearl white 1500
Sunroof 2000
2nd Gen Interior 3300
21 inch wheels 4500
PUP 5000
EAP 5000

That's the price of the car if you are buying new and depending on what state u are from you can subtract what discounts are applicable. Not everyone is eligible for the Fed tax credit and some states offer more than the federal discount on EVs. My car is significantly less than a comproprably configured MS and then has some upgrades such as trunk lighting, tint, painted calipers, spoiler, aluminium pedals. You have to determine if that is a good deal for you but when it was new it was 95K and current configuration is equal to 95.8k. It has higher miles and not eligible for the federal discount so that will factor in what u think is fair. Make sense?

Last edited:
I generally find comments in sales threads helpful, as long as people keep it polite. If I am about to drop $50K on something, I find a second opinion helpful. If a seller is trying to get above market for his car, an enthusiast site is probably not the place to list it.
What happens when the seller is below market and the comments are easily proven false but would have to be explained to a non enthusiast? Because someone interrupts or comments doesn't make it true yet the consensus is they are helping. Anyone buying an EV and a Tesla should be an informed buyer. No argument there. But I have spent the day defending a low price on a well equipped MS. Might not be for u but the price and my comments are honest. That's my two cents.

The buyer has a strong incentive to understand configurations and prices too. If it is that difficult to explain your position to them, it might be that your position is not the correct one. Compared to what selling a used car used to involve (taking out a personal ad, answering your phone and talking to sketchy people, lots of drivebys by idle people who just want to see the car and haven't decided whether they really want to buy yet), responding to a few easily debunked trolls is not asking much. You should come out the other end looking even better--if you are right. Or you will learn something.

Reactions: Lee_B and singal3
The buyer has a strong incentive to understand configurations and prices too. If it is that difficult to explain your position to them, it might be that your position is not the correct one. Compared to what selling a used car used to involve (taking out a personal ad, answering your phone and talking to sketchy people, lots of drivebys by idle people who just want to see the car and haven't decided whether they really want to buy yet), responding to a few easily debunked trolls is not asking much. You should come out the other end looking even better--if you are right. Or you will learn something.

Fair points. My counterpoint is that these trolls are not interested in purchasing. They're trolls doing what trolls do. Thats the rant. Let us who want to sell be allowed to sell. Let those who want to buy be allowed to look at the cars and ask questions to the seller without lying or confusion.
To be fair from the rest of the people got some great feedback to ensure that the posting i make over the weekend is clear to a buyer. Appreciate your feedback as well.

Reactions: Blup85
Fair points. My counterpoint is that these trolls are not interested in purchasing. They're trolls doing what trolls do. Thats the rant. Let us who want to sell be allowed to sell. Let those who want to buy be allowed to look at the cars and ask questions to the seller without lying or confusion.
To be fair from the rest of the people got some great feedback to ensure that the posting i make over the weekend is clear to a buyer. Appreciate your feedback as well.
Trolls suck.

There is certainly room for improvement as the pre-owned transfer process evolves. Educating the seller, the buyer, and those who post has been and will be an evolutionary journey.

Buying a Tesla optimally is a complicated process in what is, for many, an unfamiliar landscape. I *owned* what I'm looking for as a replacement (AP1 S) for my current car (AP2 S) and it's *still* a detailed effort each time a candidate materializes. I'm not sure who has the greater effort - the experienced Tesla owner looking for a unicorn, or the newbie who has to climb a steep learning curve from the get.

There are shortcuts, of course. Ignorance is bliss.

Insofar as the gratuitous trolling spam goes, just because "it happens everywhere else" doesn't mean it can't be better here. Either add more moderators to the club, or automate more of the moderation. It's either that or rely upon the aforementioned evolutionary educational effort. Evolution tends to take awhile, with some unexpected twists, turns, and regressions along the way - e.g., rain-sensing wipers *polite cough*.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of trolling on TMC in general. This is IMO partly the result of insufficient numbers of people who are willing to moderate.

Even more alarming is that some trolling is tolerated and allowed to continue for months, in the name of “Fair and Balanced” discussion. Sorry you had a bad experience here. This is unfortunately the norm. The only way trolls get banned is if they make violent threats or post openly racist insults.