Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raptor Engine - General Development Discussion and News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, very informative video from Scott as always!

It seems like there should be a more accurate term than “wings” (the word Scott kept using) for the rear control surfaces attached to the Starship body. In aircraft that word, as I understand it, denotes that part of the structure that provides lift.

On the Starship those rear control surfaces do not provide lift as far as I know. Instead they control the vehicle attitude as it descends through the atmosphere of whatever planet the vehicle is attempting to land on.

I think the word “flaps” would be more accurate. Extremely knowledgeable people like Scott Manley should use a more accurate term than “wings”.

I can’t recall what word(s) Elon has used for those rear control surfaces. Anyone know?

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
121792557_131557078706867_5933073733632504253_o.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Raptor 2. Wow! Time to made a new thread?
I changed the thread title to generalize and expand it. Let the discussion launch to new heights!

I hope for Raptor 2 to be a serious upgrade along the lines of the Merlin 1D from the Merlin 1C. As I expect from SpaceX for the Raptor, the Merlin 1D was still upgraded further times until it reached the Block 5 version that is a fully robust and thoroughly reusable engine.

"[Mars] City itself probably takes roughly 20 years, so hopefully it is built by ~2050."

I'll be 87 years old then (I hope). Might see it. Oh, but wait, Elon time 😭
Elon time.

You can be confident that it'll happen sometime after 2050.

And unlike everybody else even thinking about it, much less talking about it, you can be confident it'll happen a lot sooner than it would have without Elon putting his attention and energy into it.

I like Elon time.

VP of propulsion Will Heltsley has left the company, and Elon describes situation like this:
"Unfortunately, the Raptor production crisis is much worse than it had seemed a few weeks ago. As we have dug into the issues following the exiting of prior senior management, they have unfortunately turned out to be far more severe than was reported. There is no way to sugarcoat this. ... The consequences for SpaceX if we can not get enough reliable Raptors made is that we then can’t fly Starship"

Both *commercial staged combustion methane engines are in some kind of crisis, did the "new space" (BO and SpX in this case) try to take too big step for engine development, or is this just temporary hiccup.

*(more than previous programs)

Reactions: petit_bateau
It sounds more like a production and manufacturing issue over a design issue. When you want a Raptor a day, or more, then getting one done a week is a crisis. The difference is two Starship and Super Heavies a year versus ten to twelve. When you want and need a thousand of them then you consider the slow rate a crisis.

Hearsay anecdote: a friend who lives near McGregor noted a change this past week from loud tests lasting 15 seconds during the day to over a minute later the day. A local church 15 miles from the factory is asking for funds from SpaceX for stained glass damage. They know people who live even closer who report cracks in their walls and hung pictures falling off walls.

Hearsay anecdote: a friend who lives near McGregor noted a change this past week from loud tests lasting 15 seconds during the day to over a minute later the day. A local church 15 miles from the factory is asking for funds from SpaceX for stained glass damage. They know people who live even closer who report cracks in their walls and hung pictures falling off walls.
Can you find out the name of the church and a way to donate?