Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated range loss after 1 year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, so we can see our rated capacity go up and down based on the time of the year?
The battery capacity should be the same.e. Some of its capacity will, however, be used to isolate it from the ambient temperature.

That's the purpose of the battery's thermal jacket. the battery will take longer to charge as the car has to heat it before it lets it charge.

there will be some loss of range too as more power is used to keep the battery at optimum temperature while it is being discharged.

I remember reading somewhere that anything over 40A was split evenly between the two chargers (30A each in this example). Hopefully someone can jump in that knows for sure.

Yes, I do it all the time. I have an HPWC that can put out 80 Amps, but have the car set to 56 Amps to halve all the resistive heat sources. The car ramps up to 28 Amps, pauses, then ramps up to 56 Amps. If I set the car to 40 Amps, it just ramps up to 40 Amps without stopping. Anything over 40 Amps, the car does the half, pause, other half routine. I assume that it is putting half the load on the master charger, making sure everything is normal, then ramping up the slave, dual charger.

I just plugged in my car for the evening, and paid attention to what it did. Charge rate set to 60 amps. Rate slowly ramped up to 30, paused there for what seemed to be about 10 seconds, and then started ramping up again until it reached 60 and stabilized there. Exactly as Cottonwood suggested. I agree with him that this likely represents the load balancing taking place between the two chargers.

Last edited:
I just plugged in my car for the evening, and paid attention to what it did. Charge rate set to 60 amps. Rate slowly ramped up to 30, paused there for what seemed to be about 10 seconds, and then started ramping up again until it reached 60 and stabilized there. Exactly as Cottonwood suggested. I agree with him that this likely represents the load balancing taking place between the two chargers.

I beleive it is checking the quality of the power under partial load, voltage drop/variations etc. before it ramps up to 100% of the requested rate.

Data point:
Charge.jpg

My car is 23 months old, with 19,278 miles on it.

February 2013 range charge: 257 miles
Today range charge: 257 miles.

Type B battery.

I generally charge to 80% full.

I don't even know my actual full range or even 90%.

Boring driving for 9 months 30 miles a day.

Charge at 80% at 30A every night

Used to get 204 miles at 80%
After 21K miles I'm at 203 miles at 80%

Range charge twice in a year, I think was 256 miles every time.

P85 - 12,000 miles - 18 months old

I was at a SuperCharger a couple weeks ago and my maximum full rated range charge is 252 miles.

What has bothered me recently is that my around-town driving seems to be taking a brutal beating on charge. I did some stop and go errands with my wife the other day and we drove 24.2 miles and used up 37 rated miles!

This is in Southern California. It was unseasonably cold here (40F at night) and I suspected it could have something to do with that. I charge to 80% when I need to - definitely not every night. 80% charge provides me with 201 rated miles consistently.

We finished our errands this week (it was a long project where we needed to stop by multiple schools each day) and I didn't take detailed notes but I noticed that we burned through another 40 miles rated and couldn't have driven more than 20 actual miles.

I'll keep an eye on it because I'm not sure if it's a problem or just the way the car is reporting rated miles. We didn't have climate control or seat heating on at all and probably never exceeded 50mph so I would expect close to 1 for 1 rated to actual miles.

I did note that on our drive back from the SuperCharger a couple weeks ago that we started with 252 rated miles and arrived with 206 rated miles. Actual travel distance between the two locations was 45 miles so that was almost dead-on 1 for 1. Stop and go LA traffic has its merits.

My battery never had 265 miles at 100%. I think the best I ever saw was 262 miles. My 80% charge used to be 208 miles and now it's 201. I was religious about plugging in my car every night (NEMA 14-50 dialed back to 30 amps) for the first year but have only been plugging in when I need a charge for the past 6 months.

I range charged yesterday and only got 247 miles rated which was pretty disappointing considering the last time I did a range charge I had 257 rated. I'm only at 25k miles on a B pack. Hopefully I'm just out of balance or the rated # is dropping due to changes in firmware calculations

Along with that, I have found since I stopped charging at full 40 amps every night, I also stopped eating up UMC's. I think they couldn't handle the heat build up day after day. Current UMC is going strong. Usually 30 amps or less. Only if I need range as quick as possible do I use 40 amps now.

Same here. I just set it at 30 and forget it. Plenty of time yo get the overnight charge I need for my next trip to work. Just a shame the chargers that Tesla provides can't reliably withstand continued use at the top if their rated range

I range charged yesterday and only got 247 miles rated which was pretty disappointing considering the last time I did a range charge I had 257 rated. I'm only at 25k miles on a B pack. Hopefully I'm just out of balance or the rated # is dropping due to changes in firmware calculations
I have range charged two times in this past week after not range charging for months. The first time it was 254 but when I drove away I drove for more than 5 miles before it came down to 253. The next day I range charged and it stopped at 255 and I got the same kind of response. Typically when not on a range charge when I pull away from the SC my range drops within the first mile.

Same here. I just set it at 30 and forget it. Plenty of time yo get the overnight charge I need for my next trip to work. Just a shame the chargers that Tesla provides can't reliably withstand continued use at the top if their rated range

For over a year I have been charging my S almost every night at 80A. I have not had any problems except 10 months ago Tesla came out and replaced the cable because I could not get the charge port to open using the button at the end of the cable. No problems since.