Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rattle coming from front passenger door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this too! Exact same as you describe, only happens when you brake or accelerate, it's more obvious at slower speeds with less road nose.

I gave the inner panel a few hammer punches which helps but it comes back.

I had this on the front passenger door. The same mobile tech came twice to look at it. First time I couldn’t duplicate the problem while he was with me. Second time he heard it but asked me to record it and directed me to a service center. Finally third time a different tech came and removed the front panel and discovered a broken clip. Replaced it and voila! No more rattling and creaking.

If you have a mobile appointment, make sure the tech remove the panel and look.

I'm dealing with this issue too, it's real bad on less smooth roads (ratteling) then creaks under hard acceleration. I have had 4 or 5 appointments and do far they have found 3 or 4 broken clips a harness that needed the clip pins expanded to stay in place and possibly something missing to hold another harness connector that was loose, that the mobile tech taped in place.

IMG_20190216_094441.jpg

Still rattles way more than the 18 year old h Highlander we are trying to sell...

Im starting to think the only way to solve the issue is to sell the car and but another one...

I'm dealing with this issue too, it's real bad on less smooth roads (ratteling) then creaks under hard acceleration. I have had 4 or 5 appointments and do far they have found 3 or 4 broken clips a harness that needed the clip pins expanded to stay in place and possibly something missing to hold another harness connector that was loose, that the mobile tech taped in place.

View attachment 380235

Still rattles way more than the 18 year old h Highlander we are trying to sell...

Im starting to think the only way to solve the issue is to sell the car and but another one...
Where is this on the car?

I'm torn on whether to try to lemon the car, continue going back to service, or try to take matters into my own hands.

I was thinking about getting felt tape, cutting it to size, cutting a hole (or an X) in the center of each piece and applying to it each door clip. I think what I'm hearing is just the effect of the door being loosely mounted.

I think I will mount up my gopro and get a recording of the sound and drive tomorrow.

I tried the frequency generator, and while I can get some things to rattle, it's not at all what I am hearing while driving.

Also this panel fell off under my screen today, and when I went to pop it back into place it looks like the service department marred it up... Makes me hesitant to keep taking the car back. While the damage is minimal and in a not very noticeable area it's still annoying.

teslaServiceMarredPanel.jpg

when I went to pop it back into place it looks like the service department marred it up... Makes me hesitant to keep taking the car back. While the damage is minimal and in a not very noticeable area it's still annoying

I always have the service center fix these issues even if it is as minimal as this one... I've had them replace a lot of trim that has had tool marks... I may expect that stuff if you went to a 3rd party mechanic that is not used to working on the car, but the manufacturer's service centers should use proper tools and procedures every time and fix mistakes that occur IMO.

I always have the service center fix these issues even if it is as minimal as this one... I've had them replace a lot of trim that has had tool marks... I may expect that stuff if you went to a 3rd party mechanic that is not used to working on the car, but the manufacturer's service centers should use proper tools and procedures every time and fix mistakes that occur IMO.
I'll bring up the damaged trim when I take it in for the rattles. My fear is that they might mess something else up fixing this piece. I will remind them that they probably accessed that panel when my backup camera was showing a blank. Otherwise I have no idea why they would go in there?

This is the felt I was thinking to put around each door panel clip/pop where it contacts the door. Might be each better if I just stick it on the female side of each connection. The door panel pops into another piece of plastic.
https://www.amazon.com/Pllieay-Adhe...rds=felt+tape&qid=1551123568&s=gateway&sr=8-5
This might prevent any plastic on plastic rattling sounds, or maybe it will put a little more pressure on each clip to keep it from rattling?