Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle in front of driver - Need advice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have had my car the last few days to fix a rattle in the parcel shelf and one in the dash, directly in front of the steering wheel on a right-hand drive Model 3.

They claim to have insulated the dash, but after getting it back the rattle is immediately even more noticeable.

I would like to know what others think about this, so I can go back armed with information.

I managed to replicate it reliably and catch it on video.

For context, this is me driving over a “cats eye” reflector in the middle of the road.

The rattle occurs more prominently when the rear wheel (second bump) drives over it.

Without trying to bias your thinking, to me it sounds like a bad bearing in a computer fan.

What else could this be?

Parcel shelf rattles can be the rear seatbacks rattling against the latch. Lower the seatbacks to check. If not, you may hear the sound better, and someone in the back may be able to isolate it.

Front dash could be the VIN plate rattling against the glass. I use a spudger, move the seat forward, and then start pushing it between the glass and dash in various spots to identify source of sound.

Reactions: blurrybird