Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 03/2018 X has this rattle. It’s usually more prominent when car has not warmed up and at low speed. It’s driving me nuts. Have an appointment next week to get this checked out.
Thanks outie. Sorry I didn't see your previous post. I thought I noticed the rattle when I drove it home from delivery but I was so engrossed in driving and playing music I thought it was just some tire noise. I assume your 2016 X didn't have the R R R R A A A T T L L L E E E .
As others have noted here, I hope this is NOT a safety issue.

Thanks outie. Sorry I didn't see your previous post. I thought I noticed the rattle when I drove it home from delivery but I was so engrossed in driving and playing music I thought it was just some tire noise. I assume your 2016 X didn't have the R R R R A A A T T L L L E E E .
As others have noted here, I hope this is NOT a safety issue.
My 2016 had a lot of noises as well, but none of them compares to this R R R R A A A T T L L L E E E on my 2018.

Any result?
Hi,
I just got the car back yesterday. They fixed a few smaller issues and also a bigger one (replaced front drive shafts as there was a strange noise/shake when accelerating with high suspension). With regards to our rattle issue, this is what the invoice said:
"isolated crossbars, checked toolbox still no permanent solution for this issue."
With the insulation the noise is a little bit less noticeable, but still very much there.

When I asked about a permanent fix, the engineer had no clue and said I would just have to wait... Very frustrating!

Rgds,

Jeroen

I have the same rattle problem. A December 2017 model S. Going to the SC on Friday for that (and one squeak in the cabin).

I wonder if we should not create a poll to try and find out how many owners of recent model S (since last April for example) have the problem. Maybe putting "Rattlegate" in the title would stirs things up a bit...

Are we able to get a poll added in this thread or will the OP have to do this ?

Here is the video of my 'rattle'

I like the idea of a poll very much.

I wrote a letter to the managing director of Tesla Belgium with registered mail, but I haven't heard anything back. I assume that customers are not that important once they bougth the car .. :-(

Keep you guys posted
Do YOU recognize the popping sound, besides your rattle? I believe you have two different problems if you don't know what that is sounds to me to be the steering gear. AND steering rack

Hi,
I just got the car back yesterday. They fixed a few smaller issues and also a bigger one (replaced front drive shafts as there was a strange noise/shake when accelerating with high suspension). With regards to our rattle issue, this is what the invoice said:
"isolated crossbars, checked toolbox still no permanent solution for this issue."
With the insulation the noise is a little bit less noticeable, but still very much there.

When I asked about a permanent fix, the engineer had no clue and said I would just have to wait... Very frustrating!

Rgds,

Jeroen
My rack was replaced with no noticeable change in the sound.
Steering gear replaced? Upper or lower steering links?

OK, update from my side.

I went to the local SC yesterday for a creaking noise inside the cabin, which they fixed.

When I mentioned the problem of the rattle, with the technician inside the car with me, he said it was caused by some support for the windshield going all the way down to the frame of the car. He mentioned that removing these supports solved the problem, but obviously that's not a good solution as these supports are there for a good reason.

He mentioned that they were still waiting for a definitive fix from the factory.

Anybody else heard a similar story?