Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle: SOLVED.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @maglianera!

Noticed a few months back the noise when tapping on my front fender liners. I had been meaning to address them. I wasn't sure if it was them or the AC making the noise. The stereo masked that noise.

We were on a 275-mile RT the other day and I could hear the noise on the highway going 60-70. I taped them tight with Gorilla tape the next day. We took a 75-mile trip today and the noise was gone.

I'm in the small percentile that notices every noise. Everything I've done to the car to mitigate extraneous noise has helped. I added the rubber band around the glass roof and door seals. Using the dB Meter app for iOS I'm measuring 63 decibels on a good highway asphalt with no side wind. I tried several sound apps and they all measure different levels when used simultaneously, so dB Meter is my constant. It may not be accurate, but as long as it's consistently inaccurate I have a baseline.

I had more wind noise coming from passenger side as new. I had my black triangle glued down and the seal there had a bubble there. A range address those and he adjusted seal under the B-pillar. Those fixes made a difference to lessen wind noise. But it still was not as quiet on that side as the driver side.

My passenger door was also not flush to the car and raised a bit. I had the SC adjust the door. They got it close but still obviously off.

A few weeks ago the SC took another crack at adjusting my passenger door. After the 2nd adjustment the door looks good and I noticed less wind noise from that side. I didn't expect that as the door was more an OCD thing.

I've done other things to the car to address fit and finish issues. Everything has made a difference. My M3 sounds and feels so much more solid and quite compared to the day I took delivery.
What was the B-pillar seal adjustment?

Thanks @maglianera
What was the B-pillar seal adjustment?

If you run your finger vertically along the channel on the outside of the car between the window glass and the B-pillar where the camera is located you can feel the gasket. The Ranger adjusted something so I had a tighter seal.

For finding air leaks this is a good video. This guy needs to make more:

@maglianera Thank you so much for posting this... The wheel well liners was exactly my problem. I had been hearing that 'fluttering' sound for 10k miles and was just about resigned to accept it. Did a few quick tests with tape and was able to prove it out. A Tesla mobile tech found I had missing clips below the liners on both sides, now everything is great!

Reactions: KenC
Can you post a picture and point out where the missing clips were?
Rear wheel well liners are installed at the factory without push-in clips. Mobile service supplied 6 of them, 3 each side, and it helped the issue. Provisions are there for clips, just not installed as Tesla is trying to reduce costs on each car. Early VINs may have them but they leave them out on later cars. More cost-effective than re-designing and testing liners without holes.

Rear wheel well liners are installed at the factory without push-in clips. Mobile service supplied 6 of them, 3 each side, and it helped the issue. Provisions are there for clips, just not installed as Tesla is trying to reduce costs on each car. Early VINs may have them but they leave them out on later cars. More cost-effective than re-designing and testing liners without holes.
This thread is about front wheel liners....

Reactions: phtp
I managed to fix this noise by removing the two clips at the bottom,and gently prying the wheel well out from the bottom. You just need to bend it slightly and it should pop right out like my picture. If you see there's a few spots that causes the rattle. I just added some foam on the inside of the plastic wheel well so it prevents it from touching the body. It's much quieter now.

I also added some felt tape to prevent the body from touching the outside left corner which completely silenced my rattle. (See pic 3)

Picture 1 - before adding foam

Screenshot_20210907-181831_Gallery.jpg

(Pic with foam)

Screenshot_20210907-181822_Gallery.jpg

(Felt tape)

Screenshot_20210907-181847_Gallery.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and ss71
I managed to fix this noise by removing the two clips at the bottom,and gently prying the wheel well out from the bottom. You just need to bend it slightly and it should pop right out like my picture. If you see there's a few spots that causes the rattle. I just added some foam on the inside of the plastic wheel well so it prevents it from touching the body. It's much quieter now.

I also added some felt tape to prevent the body from touching the outside left corner which completely silenced my rattle. (See pic 3)

Picture 1 - before adding foam

View attachment 706447

(Pic with foam)

View attachment 706448

(Felt tape)

View attachment 706449
Thanks for these. I’ll be addressing this on my 2 week old M3 this weekend. 👍🏻

I have a late-July 2021 build. After seeing this thread, I took an initial look to see whether the noise I was hearing might be the wheel well liner. Tapping on the liner showed that It was, but not only that - I found that on the drivers side I could see a 1/8" gap between the edge of the liner and the lip on the quarter-panel on the driver's side (about 6 inches above the bottom of the liner) while on the passenger side the liner nested nicely behind the lip on the quarter panel. Since the liner should have the right shape and obviously should be behind the lip, I carefully pressed with my palm on the wheel well edge of the quarter panel and formed it in so that there was no gap. The car didn't look 'wrong' before but now both sides match and it definitely helped with the noise in my case.

I know this is an old topic but it saved me from going insane with my new june 2023 Model3. Thank you. The fender liner rattles at the top against the metal causing light but irritating rattle in the cabin.

I wouldn't have found where it came from without this post as the noise was very elusive. Thanks again !

Now I have to think about how to place foam at the correct place to replace my temporary paper tissues...