Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle: SOLVED.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is more of a public service announcement than anything, but I'll preface it with a bit of background.

I picked my car (2019 Dual Motor Performance) in March. I felt the initial build quality was better than most I've seen, and the car was absolutely silent from day 1. No creaks, rattles, nothing. Fast forward to May, and I started to notice this strange clicking/rattle inside the vehicle at high speeds. It sounded literally like one of the B pillars was loose, so I pulled all of the interior panels out to make sure none of the clips were loose, and even added a bit of sound deadening material to ensure they were 'extra tight'. I ended up going around the entire inside of the vehicle with a small screw driver handle and 'tapped' every panel to see if I could find the issue. It was impossible to replicate.

This went on for around 6 weeks.... I had literally given up, and this sound was persistent. It 100% sounded like it was coming from the inside of the cabin, and it was only noticeable at high speeds (over 60mph). On Monday, I was cleaning my wheels and accidentally bumped one of the inner fender wells and noticed a rattle. It was like a lightbulb went off - but common sense told me there was no way this was the sound I was hearing INSIDE the vehicle at 60, 70, 80mph...

I did the screwdriver test around both front fenders, tapping the inside... and sure enough, I was able to get it to rattle very easily. I started tapping around a little more and realized that while none of the clips were loose, the fit of the fender itself isn't exactly 'tight'. It's like there is a less than desirable interface between the body fender and the liner, and whatever clips they are using to hold the pieces together either start to come loose, or don't create a tight mechanical interface to begin with.

The only solution I could think of was to test out securing the fender liner to the actual body fender itself with some black gorilla tape. I took a few 10" strips and went around the entire border of the liner and secured a clean seam all the way around the edge of the fender liner from one end to the other, leaving around 1" of tape exposed on the liner, and tucking the other 1" around, and under the body fender, creating a clean, tight seam. I then took that same screwdriver and tapped away - this time it was completely silent.

I know this may sound a little shoddy, but the black gorilla tape is not noticeable at all, and the fit is now super tight. I wasn't convinced this was my issue, but a quick blast down the toll road proved me wrong. Problem solved. This annoying rattle that was seemingly due to shoddy interior assembly finishing was simply my fender liners vibrating at high speed. It's now completely silent.

If anyone has a mysterious rattle that seems like it's coming from the interior pillars or from the door panel at speed - take a look at your fender liners. Give them a little tap and I almost guarantee you any rattles you are hearing is from the liner reverberating at speed... The $6 roll of tape solved the problem for good.

I was getting to the end of my rope, and I was going to take it to the service center, but they would have torn apart the inside of my car with no result. If anyone is interested, I'll try to take a few pictures of how I affixed the tape, but it's pretty straight forward. You can't see it at all from the outside and the fit is perfectly tight.

For anyone who has a mysterious 'interior' rattle at speed - take a look. Hopefully someone else will benefit from this!

This is interesting. I sometimes have a "fluttering" noise at higher speeds that I haven't been able to pinpoint. After knocking on my front wheel well liners, that could be it. But I don't quite understand how you applied the Gorilla tape. Did you take a picture by any chance?

Duct-Tape-Repair-Car-Funny-Image.jpg

I would still take the tape off and get the SC to fix it properly now that you can tell them exactly what the problem is.
This is more of a public service announcement than anything, but I'll preface it with a bit of background.

I picked my car (2019 Dual Motor Performance) in March. I felt the initial build quality was better than most I've seen, and the car was absolutely silent from day 1. No creaks, rattles, nothing. Fast forward to May, and I started to notice this strange clicking/rattle inside the vehicle at high speeds. It sounded literally like one of the B pillars was loose, so I pulled all of the interior panels out to make sure none of the clips were loose, and even added a bit of sound deadening material to ensure they were 'extra tight'. I ended up going around the entire inside of the vehicle with a small screw driver handle and 'tapped' every panel to see if I could find the issue. It was impossible to replicate.

This went on for around 6 weeks.... I had literally given up, and this sound was persistent. It 100% sounded like it was coming from the inside of the cabin, and it was only noticeable at high speeds (over 60mph). On Monday, I was cleaning my wheels and accidentally bumped one of the inner fender wells and noticed a rattle. It was like a lightbulb went off - but common sense told me there was no way this was the sound I was hearing INSIDE the vehicle at 60, 70, 80mph...

I did the screwdriver test around both front fenders, tapping the inside... and sure enough, I was able to get it to rattle very easily. I started tapping around a little more and realized that while none of the clips were loose, the fit of the fender itself isn't exactly 'tight'. It's like there is a less than desirable interface between the body fender and the liner, and whatever clips they are using to hold the pieces together either start to come loose, or don't create a tight mechanical interface to begin with.

The only solution I could think of was to test out securing the fender liner to the actual body fender itself with some black gorilla tape. I took a few 10" strips and went around the entire border of the liner and secured a clean seam all the way around the edge of the fender liner from one end to the other, leaving around 1" of tape exposed on the liner, and tucking the other 1" around, and under the body fender, creating a clean, tight seam. I then took that same screwdriver and tapped away - this time it was completely silent.

I know this may sound a little shoddy, but the black gorilla tape is not noticeable at all, and the fit is now super tight. I wasn't convinced this was my issue, but a quick blast down the toll road proved me wrong. Problem solved. This annoying rattle that was seemingly due to shoddy interior assembly finishing was simply my fender liners vibrating at high speed. It's now completely silent.

If anyone has a mysterious rattle that seems like it's coming from the interior pillars or from the door panel at speed - take a look at your fender liners. Give them a little tap and I almost guarantee you any rattles you are hearing is from the liner reverberating at speed... The $6 roll of tape solved the problem for good.

I was getting to the end of my rope, and I was going to take it to the service center, but they would have torn apart the inside of my car with no result. If anyone is interested, I'll try to take a few pictures of how I affixed the tape, but it's pretty straight forward. You can't see it at all from the outside and the fit is perfectly tight.

For anyone who has a mysterious 'interior' rattle at speed - take a look. Hopefully someone else will benefit from this!

Which wheel well was the offender?

I have one that sounds like its coming from behind the C pillar, back left side drivers side. It sounds like a cracking. I’m wondering if it’s a shock or shock tower, or loose mount? Not really sure how/where to troubleshoot but I’d LOVE to get rid of it.

Yes, pictures would be nice.
I wonder if one could add an extra push clip. I will be adding mud flaps for the winter as rock protection and purchased a few additional clips in case mine was missing some. You might be able to drill & attach it more firmly, but if the gorilla tape does the trick, why bother. Thanks for the PSA!

Lately I've noticed a rattle when on rougher pavement at freeway speeds. It sort of seems to come from the left end of the dash or the front of the left door. Ish. So maybe it's this wheel well thing! I'll have to check it out this weekend.

I add a vote for clarifying photos of your fix!

Try folding the seat down to see if that solves it, it might be the latch to the seat.
I've tried that and folding the seat down makes the noise louder or more apparnet at least. I have sat in backswat with seat down and had someone else drive and stuck my head in the trunk (god lets HOPE that camera under the rear view mirror isn't really active!) and I can hear whatever it is is coming from the shock/strut tower in some way. Worse when the car and outside temp is WARMER, mornings are less problematic. Could be fuild in a shock/strut, or busihing (rubber colder after the overnight).

I

Thanks @maglianera!

Noticed a few months back the noise when tapping on my front fender liners. I had been meaning to address them. I wasn't sure if it was them or the AC making the noise. The stereo masked that noise.

We were on a 275-mile RT the other day and I could hear the noise on the highway going 60-70. I taped them tight with Gorilla tape the next day. We took a 75-mile trip today and the noise was gone.

I'm in the small percentile that notices every noise. Everything I've done to the car to mitigate extraneous noise has helped. I added the rubber band around the glass roof and door seals. Using the dB Meter app for iOS I'm measuring 63 decibels on a good highway asphalt with no side wind. I tried several sound apps and they all measure different levels when used simultaneously, so dB Meter is my constant. It may not be accurate, but as long as it's consistently inaccurate I have a baseline.

I had more wind noise coming from passenger side as new. I had my black triangle glued down and the seal there had a bubble there. A range address those and he adjusted seal under the B-pillar. Those fixes made a difference to lessen wind noise. But it still was not as quiet on that side as the driver side.

My passenger door was also not flush to the car and raised a bit. I had the SC adjust the door. They got it close but still obviously off.

A few weeks ago the SC took another crack at adjusting my passenger door. After the 2nd adjustment the door looks good and I noticed less wind noise from that side. I didn't expect that as the door was more an OCD thing.

I've done other things to the car to address fit and finish issues. Everything has made a difference. My M3 sounds and feels so much more solid and quite compared to the day I took delivery.

Last edited: