Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RATTLE

rattles experienced in a model Y

• doesnt bother me, i have low standards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to get a feel of how is everyone's MY doing?
so far every tesla owner i talk to i get a feedback that consists of 50/50 answer
Some tells me its great, problem-less , some just turn it into a complete *sugar* show like mine

2022 MY with 14k, so far i have been to the dealership 14 times, new rear seat, new seat belt tensioner, new ac fan, water leak repaired, loose ev battery ...plus multiple adjustment
wind noise, window leaves a gap....panel issue

I also had to have my friend who is a technician, take apart my rear hatch, trunk, front two doors to add insulation, foams, dynamite, glove box to eliminate any rattles...
rear headrest , the back of the seat backing...

this car drives me insane to the point im wondering if i just got a lemon, or if there truly is NO quality in an 80 g car.

Every uber ride i took in the last few years, every tesla i rode whether its a 3/y comes with severe rattles from all angles.

That really sucks. Seems like almost every possible functional area is represented in the repair circus. My 2022 MYLR has been flawless. Not a creak or rattle. Every panel looks perfect. Every function and feature has worked glitch-free, including some of the frequently complaints like auto wipers, auto high beams, no phantom braking, etc. Forums tend to collect negative bias, but I feel like I got a lottery ticket car.

I had only 1 rattle/buzz/vibration and it was rear view mirror assembly. I took it apart and added some padding and gone. Only other rattles were seatbelts in the rear and passenger buckle against the seat side. All those were solved with silicone seatbelt protectors. So my issues were in the middle. Overall I’m extremely pleased with my build quality.

Reactions: Tsaico
For those that have started to hunt for rattles, have you all added sound dampening materials to add to the quietness? I did that on a few of my older cars before selling them so was thinking about doing them to the MY when the rattle comes out to play.

For those that have started to hunt for rattles, have you all added sound dampening materials to add to the quietness? I did that on a few of my older cars before selling them so was thinking about doing them to the MY when the rattle comes out to play.
I did, but may have done more harm than good. I didn't notice an improvement from the sound deadening material, but now I do have squeaky-rattle in the back. I assume this is from opening up the rear plastic over the rear wheel wells.
PXL_20220227_194256003.jpg
PXL_20220227_213337568.jpg
PXL_20220227_184753191.jpg
PXL_20220227_185503721.jpg
PXL_20220227_214722645.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I did, but may have done more harm than good. I didn't notice an improvement from the sound deadening material, but now I do have squeaky-rattle in the back. I assume this is from opening up the rear plastic over the rear wheel wells.
Did you lose any of the small white plastic clips that go along the full length of tops of the big side panels? In my experience even missing a single one of those clips will result in the panel buzzing especially while turning. And they are maddeningly easy to lose.

Did you lose any of the small white plastic clips that go along the full length of tops of the big side panels? In my experience even missing a single one of those clips will result in the panel buzzing especially while turning. And they are maddeningly easy to lose.
I lost one. I don't hear any buzzing, rather squeaking. I'm sure the cold is exasperating as well.

I lost one. I don't hear any buzzing, rather squeaking. I'm sure the cold is exasperating as well.
You could definitely describe it more like a squeak. I always struggle with the right descriptions for these noises. The glass roof reflecting sounds all around also makes it hard to figure out where they are coming from. It took me a long time to realize that missing clips back there would cause the panels to make noise in different temperatures, as you note, or while turning. I also have this problem where the passenger side rear door panel rubs against the car at the bottom (next to your right ankle if you sit in the seat). I applied felt tape to both the car side and the door side and it mostly fixed it except when it's cold. Then I have to jam my fingers in there and push up on the plastic to keep it from rubbing for a while.

Reactions: Noflash
You could definitely describe it more like a squeak. I always struggle with the right descriptions for these noises. The glass roof reflecting sounds all around also makes it hard to figure out where they are coming from. It took me a long time to realize that missing clips back there would cause the panels to make noise in different temperatures, as you note, or while turning. I also have this problem where the passenger side rear door panel rubs against the car at the bottom (next to your right ankle if you sit in the seat). I applied felt tape to both the car side and the door side and it mostly fixed it except when it's cold. Then I have to jam my fingers in there and push up on the plastic to keep it from rubbing for a while.
Could you include a picture of the area on teh rear passenger door? I have a rattle/rustling sound coming from that area and can't figure it out. I've removed the rear door card and felt taped down all the connections and wires behind the door and keep the seatbelts clicked in so they don't rattle against the side bolsters but nothing helps.