Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Raven Tire Wear Observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have enough miles to notice a substantial difference in tire wear, but I wholeheartedly agree that my Raven runs almost exclusively on the front motor. I have dozens of trips logged with SMT and they all show the rear motor is only engaged during heavy acceleration.

Hi folks,

my first posting here - thanks for beeing admitted.

Also agree that the Raven runs like a FWD under normal driving and/or traction conditions. My 2019 Raven Long Range has now done about 20 000 km of mostly calm driving, with the occasional floring now and then. I use 245/40 R20 tires and them seem to have very even wear - no outer/inner biased wear at all, and the fronts have lost about 1 mm more tread than the rears. Tire pressure is 45 PSI in front and 49 PSI at rear axel.
Would be interested to hear from the TS after alignment has been checked, wether any values was out-of spec or not.

This is certainly not conclusive, but here are a couple of runs which show that it takes at least 25% pedal to engage the rear motor at all. I think any throttle north of 40% has some engagement of the rear motor, but I don't have any sustained runs at that power level. I think it does support the notion that for everyday kind of driving the Ravens are FWD.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 6.56.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 6.56.10 PM.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.01.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.01.31 PM.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Informative
Reactions: All In
Interesting. Any thoughts on how lower ambient temperatures (close to freezing etc.), rainfall and so would affect how the car distributes its request of power from the two engines?

I would assume like most other modern AWD programs, based on traction: Whereby if the computer determines that the fronts begin to slip the rear powertrain will kick in. Until that point the rear is not needed. My old Honda Ridgeline operated like that, and like the Tesla it is difficult to drift it in the snow.:(

Given the responses here and that fact that the front is providing the majority of the propulsion, I am contemplating canceling my alignment appointment.

As I stated in opening this thread, I have even wear across all tires with the fronts wearing noticeably faster. This makes sense. Do those who believe that this is an "toe" alignment problem still think I should go in for the appointment?

I think the OP is making an accurate observation. A gently-driven Raven S will have a tire wear pattern more like a front-wheel-drive car than a rear-wheel-drive car. On a RWD Model 3, the wear between front and rear is sufficiently even that I don't see a need to rotate tires at all. On an AWD Raven S, you should rotate the tires as regularly as on a front drive car.

I think the OP is making an accurate observation. A gently-driven Raven S will have a tire wear pattern more like a front-wheel-drive car than a rear-wheel-drive car. On a RWD Model 3, the wear between front and rear is sufficiently even that I don't see a need to rotate tires at all. On an AWD Raven S, you should rotate the tires as regularly as on a front drive car.

okay but “gently driven” and “tires worn out at 10000 miles” don’t add up. What is the actual tread depth on the front tires? And I think we need pictures to settle this issue.

okay but “gently driven” and “tires worn out at 10000 miles” don’t add up. What is the actual tread depth on the front tires? And I think we need pictures to settle this issue.

Sure, I probably shouldn't have mentioned "gently driven". The OP doesn't say "worn out" but "wearing out". I've had FWD hot hatchbacks with summer tires, and the fronts would wear down pretty far, more than half way to the wear bars, by 10k miles if I didn't do a rotation.

I have a standard 100D and have the same situation of even front tire wear at 24k miles such that they need replacement and the rear tires are fine. Since I don’t have the Raven, my only speculation is that since I use Regen braking obsessively, I wonder if the braking, due to the physics of it, could cause more front tire wear.

I replaced all 4 of my Raven tires @ 20k. The fronts were evenly worn down to the wear bar. The rears looked evenly worn (I'll attach pictures vs a quarter) but were both worn through the chords on the inner edge.

I took it to Tesla for an alignment, they say it is in spec. I would guess my driving is close to 50% highway, 98% autopilot, suspension always set to auto.
IMG_20200709_174833.jpg
IMG_20200713_181429.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_174829.jpg
    IMG_20200709_174829.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 37
If your settings for Auto put the car in Low for highway driving, then this kind of wear is pretty normal, if not pretty good considering you got 20K on the rears. The rear camber is quite high when in Low and wears the inner edge even when "in spec". There are other threads out there which discuss this at length including potential fixes, etc. Here is one, but there are others as several people now provide the camber and toe arms...
Show Me Your Inner Tire Wear Photos

• Informative
Reactions: Sfallert
If your settings for Auto put the car in Low for highway driving, then this kind of wear is pretty normal, if not pretty good considering you got 20K on the rears. The rear camber is quite high when in Low and wears the inner edge even when "in spec".
Latest sw in my Raven seems to drop the car to Low as soon as I enter a highway. Not happy with this. Only option now is to have it ride in Low permanently, instead of Normal. What clown considered this to be a good idea?

The reason why your front tires are wearing out sooner is because raven model x has the PM MAGNET MOTOR on the front, aka the model 3 performance’s rear motor. Its using the front motor regen to completely stop the 5k pound vehicle using magnets, its putting much more wear on your front tires. Its more efficient and more powerful. Try turning the regen to low however then more wear will occur on your brakes on a 5k pound suv. You’re getting more range partly due to the more efficient regen.

Reactions: gundarx