Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RB Brake Upgrade on 2022 Plaid Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got the RB Performance Brakes 400mm/365mm upgraded rotors and pads kit installed by Auto Union Tuning in Los Angeles. Incredibly high quality performance components, and equally high customer service and detailed attention from both Warren and his team at RB and from AU Tuning as the installer.

I am just about 3 weeks into of ownership of my X Plaid and my first reaction to the car was, yes, the acceleration and power are addictive, fun, totally unnecessary and awesome! The second reaction was that during high acceleration and speeds that require immediate and fast deceleration that the X Plaid has more power and mass than braking ability...and a couple panic stops in traffic were quite shocking and one time I was certain to rear end the car in front of me because it just would not stop with any "normal" amount of force that you would expect an average consumer vehicle to have. I mean how can it, it's almost 6,000 lbs and has all that torque that is immediate. In stock form my personal opinion is that it is a dangerous vehicle that requires a brake upgrade to safely operate if you are one to drive with any spirited speeds or acceleration in traffic or on the highway. For reference my other car is an Alfa 4C with Bilstein doubles, custom A arms, solid mounts, alcohol injection, big brake kit front and rear, etc. it stops incredibly hard on warmed up A052 tires and is a very light car...this would be the complete opposite lol.

So a quick search here brought me to RB and I chose them because they are local (I live in Los Angeles) and were very easy to communicate with over email, and just like that I ordered their larger than stock 400/365mm front and rear kit, oversized street pads, lines and flush to be installed locally by AU Tuning. During the installation they found some quality control issues resulting in different tolerances left and right...that had they not found my car would have had brake issues down the line in stock form. AU Tuning is incredibly customer oriented, in constant communication, and the resulting installation was completed in 2 days. My kit being the first application Warren and team from RB were there to make sure everything went smoothly, and AU has a rigorous QC process before they hand the car back to you.

The two piece rotors are lighter front and rear and weight savings are somewhere in a thread and on their site. The street pads are quiet, have strong initial bite and have not had any fade so far. I scrubbed in the pads up in Angeles Crest doing the route I normally do in my Alfa Romeo and it is awesome how much better the braking ability is now than in stock form. It now stops as you would expect a normal vehicle to, it hides the weight of the car, there is great pedal feel and you can modulate braking force much better as well. In full force stops from high speed on all season tires I can induce full anti-lock which means the braking force is exceeding the available grip from the tires and this is what I wanted, this was not possible in stock form. This was a great investment in safety and coming from having great cars that are performance oriented this now feels like it should and will actually stop in the distance you think it should, very happy with the upgrade. Again Warren and team at RB are a pleasure to work with and AU Tuning went above and beyond what you normally get customer service wise for installation, high fives all around. There are other choices in the market and they are all great, Unplugged, MPP, you could just do it yourself and get some Girodiscs eventually...I am quite happy I chose RB in this instance.

Photos follow front and rear, and you can see what they look like on 21" wheels (they did fit the factory 20" wheels too)

20220709_143341.jpg
20220709_143413.jpg
R0002117.jpg
R0002060.jpg
R0002093.jpg

• Love
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Discussion re suffered braking performance under wet condition:

Please pay attention to the disc surface finishes where the brake pads are in contact.

X Plaid OE stock rotor (Front) surface when new:
2690-oe_wt.PNG

X Plaid stock rotor (Rear) after use:
2679-oe-front.jpg

RB patented "Open Slots" design after just breaking-in.
Based on the disc surface difference you can see why RB rotor has an easier and better braking surface for the pads.

r0002117-jpg.828281

"Open Slots" design has proven to be the most effective and natural way to expel/escape any unfavorable foreign substances eg water, dust, and particles from preventing a normal contact with the pad, by evacuating them via 6 ea curve open slots and blowing off through the cooling vanes.

Open slots finish also provide a "room" like concrete slits, for disc "expansion and contraction" during the heat cycles to minimize a rotor from warping and cracking.

Learn more about RB two piece design feature and advantage.

Please pay attention to the disc surface finishes where the brake pads are in contact.

RB patented "Open Slots" design after just breaking-in.
Based on the disc surface difference you can see why RB rotor has an easier and better braking surface for the pads.

Doubtful.
"Open Slots" design has proven to be the most effective and natural way to expel/escape any unfavorable foreign substances eg water, dust, and particles from preventing a normal contact with the pad, by evacuating them via 6 ea curve open slots and blowing off through the cooling vanes.

Open slots finish also provide a "room" like concrete slits, for disc "expansion and contraction" during the heat cycles to minimize a rotor from warping and cracking.

Slotted rotors have benefits of their own, but not for any of the reasons you have listed. Natural way for water, dust, and particles to escape? I'm not sure if you're serious.

I recently got the RB Performance Brakes 400mm/365mm upgraded rotors and pads kit installed by Auto Union Tuning in Los Angeles. Incredibly high quality performance components, and equally high customer service and detailed attention from both Warren and his team at RB and from AU Tuning as the installer.

I am just about 3 weeks into of ownership of my X Plaid and my first reaction to the car was, yes, the acceleration and power are addictive, fun, totally unnecessary and awesome! The second reaction was that during high acceleration and speeds that require immediate and fast deceleration that the X Plaid has more power and mass than braking ability...and a couple panic stops in traffic were quite shocking and one time I was certain to rear end the car in front of me because it just would not stop with any "normal" amount of force that you would expect an average consumer vehicle to have. I mean how can it, it's almost 6,000 lbs and has all that torque that is immediate. In stock form my personal opinion is that it is a dangerous vehicle that requires a brake upgrade to safely operate if you are one to drive with any spirited speeds or acceleration in traffic or on the highway. For reference my other car is an Alfa 4C with Bilstein doubles, custom A arms, solid mounts, alcohol injection, big brake kit front and rear, etc. it stops incredibly hard on warmed up A052 tires and is a very light car...this would be the complete opposite lol.

So a quick search here brought me to RB and I chose them because they are local (I live in Los Angeles) and were very easy to communicate with over email, and just like that I ordered their larger than stock 400/365mm front and rear kit, oversized street pads, lines and flush to be installed locally by AU Tuning. During the installation they found some quality control issues resulting in different tolerances left and right...that had they not found my car would have had brake issues down the line in stock form. AU Tuning is incredibly customer oriented, in constant communication, and the resulting installation was completed in 2 days. My kit being the first application Warren and team from RB were there to make sure everything went smoothly, and AU has a rigorous QC process before they hand the car back to you.

The two piece rotors are lighter front and rear and weight savings are somewhere in a thread and on their site. The street pads are quiet, have strong initial bite and have not had any fade so far. I scrubbed in the pads up in Angeles Crest doing the route I normally do in my Alfa Romeo and it is awesome how much better the braking ability is now than in stock form. It now stops as you would expect a normal vehicle to, it hides the weight of the car, there is great pedal feel and you can modulate braking force much better as well. In full force stops from high speed on all season tires I can induce full anti-lock which means the braking force is exceeding the available grip from the tires and this is what I wanted, this was not possible in stock form. This was a great investment in safety and coming from having great cars that are performance oriented this now feels like it should and will actually stop in the distance you think it should, very happy with the upgrade. Again Warren and team at RB are a pleasure to work with and AU Tuning went above and beyond what you normally get customer service wise for installation, high fives all around. There are other choices in the market and they are all great, Unplugged, MPP, you could just do it yourself and get some Girodiscs eventually...I am quite happy I chose RB in this instance.

Photos follow front and rear, and you can see what they look like on 21" wheels (they did fit the factory 20" wheels too)

View attachment 828279View attachment 828280View attachment 828281View attachment 828282View attachment 828283
Spring is the brake time - Could you share how the kit performs so far and/or any other comment/advices for other X owners.