Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re-boot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, my understanding is that when you reboot without pressing the brake pedal, it only reboots the infotainment (screen)

If you reboot with the brake pedal pressed it also reboots other models.

Here is a perfect example:

I had a flat tire and got the low tire pressure warning messages. The message didn't go away after I fixed the tire.

I tried the reboot without pressing the brake pedal but message didn't go away.

I then rebooted again with the brake pedal pressed and the message did go away.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
Yes, my understanding is that when you reboot without pressing the brake pedal, it only reboots the infotainment (screen)

If you reboot with the brake pedal pressed it also reboots other models.

Here is a perfect example:

I had a flat tire and got the low tire pressure warning messages. The message didn't go away after I fixed the tire.

I tried the reboot without pressing the brake pedal but message didn't go away.

I then rebooted again with the brake pedal pressed and the message did go away.

The manual says nothing at all about a brake pedal reset, and specifically says restarting the screen does not restart the Model 3.

Do you have any documentation for this claim? A TPMS sensor changing readings as it it supposed to do over time anyway is not exactly strong evidence.

The manual says nothing at all about a brake pedal reset, and specifically says restarting the screen does not restart the Model 3.

Do you have any documentation for this claim? A TPMS sensor changing readings as it it supposed to do over time anyway is not exactly strong evidence.
The documentation is me sharing my experience. This what forums are for.

I learned about the use of break pedal reset more than just the screen from multiple sources including Tesla online chat.

The low tire pressure didn't go away for almost one hour of driving after tire was inflated to 45psi, the same as the other 3 tires, the only way I got it to go away was to do the reboot while pressing the brake pedal.

I did do the normal reboot and it didn't clear the message.

I’d like to know the answer to this as well. I’ve seen many people say using the brake pedal does a hard reset, but others say that it’s just wishful thinking. I’ve never seen any official source mention using the brake pedal.

If I had to bet I’d say holding down the brake pedal doesn’t do anything extra, but I’d like to know for sure one way or the other.

I've never needed to press the brake to fix whatever glitch was occurring. I've rebooted plenty of times while driving too. Pretty sure the brake = "hard reboot" is a myth that keeps getting perpetuated. Feel free to press it if it makes you feel better ;)