Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like you might be able to fit two golf bags without clubs :rolleyes:
Hehe, the pictures and video from before made it seem much bigger. This picture makes it seem just a bit bigger than the Dual Motor Model S frunk.. And that is almost useless compared to the original RWD-version.

Would not be surprised if StephRob is right that it is actually smaller and less usable than the RWD Model S frunk...

minimal towing capacity for a vehicle in its size and weight category
second row seats don't fold.

good news is I don't feel that impulsive urge to leverage myself and buy this vehicle anymore.

Financial instability in the markets
The high US dollar (I am in canada)
low tow capacity
minimal utility (seats not folding)

makes it an easy decision to pull my deposit.. I made the deposit because of rebate incentives from the government.
I was willing to pull the trigger and buy a model X only if the promised towing capacity (By Jim Chen) and ultility (flat folding seats) materialized.

gives me a couple more years to save a bigger down payment and to see if Tesla realizes its not just about the soccer moms.

The MX may not be perfect for everyone, certainly not for me. But when I look at the competition there is no question MX is a far better vehicle. And the icing on the cake is that it produces no pollution!! To me that seals the deal even if it is more expensive than others. We ignore the cost to the planet by buying those gas guzzling SUVs and cars in general. It is time we give a value to the pollution we create.

I am planning to go ahead and buy/lease the MX. I have been waiting about 2+ years and I feel Tesla has not let me down. I see a beautiful and exiting SUV.

Good Job Tesla

I wonder what the minimum height required is to operate the falcon wing doors that will still allow you to get in and out of the car. Parking structures in Europe tend to be rather low, some only 190 cm high (6'2"?).

Time to pack the measuring tape...

- The Falcon wing doors should be an option, full stop. They are just too showy for me and my kids are out of car seats so it really means nothing, id rather a cheaper and presumably lighter car.

This isn't really a realistic suggestion. The Falcon Wing doors and the surrounding bodywork needed to facilitate them are so structurally different from what you'd see on a car with regular doors that in order to make them optional, Tesla would literally have to engineer and manufacture two completely different body shells. It's unnecessarily complicated work just to facilitate one option (keep in mind the body and doors actually the hardest part of a vehicle to engineer). At that point it would make more sense to go for broke and engineer a whole new model altogether.

Last edited:
For those complaining about the lack of details, did they go over every little detail when the first MS's were delivered, no.......
By all accounts by those that were there, the whole thing went longer than expected. Did you want them to take even more time and go over every little feature?

Go to your local Tesla store and get your details there.

Lots of missing details. When will first signatures be delivered? What kind of convenience power outlets does the car have? Is back seat venting better than Model S? Is there a luggage well behind the third row seats?

I saw 2 USB ports in front of the middle seat. Unfortunately there was very little leg room in that middle seat. It does not reach under the front console at all. Venting to all seats is great.
image.jpeg

I really liked the event. I watched it on live stream. Elon explained a lot about the important features. The car looks beautiful. The new nose cone might become a trademark for Tesla. The event was well handled and it concentrated on important aspects like security, performance and utility.

Wow!! The press coverage is overwhelmingly positive. I have read so many mediums on the internet and all of them are extremely pumped about the car.

- - - Updated - - -

They even got the price right this time. They are stating that base Model might start at somewhere around $80,000.

Well, it's unfortunate that we (generalization) now are happy to put a license plate on the front bumper to cover up that expanse of nothing at the nose :p! My checkbook and I really wanted to not like the Model X - I don't even like the FWDs - but it is clearly the best CUV on the planet. It is not a perfect CUV, but the best. At the risk of sounding too biased, if you look at it, the Model S has been the best sports sedan overall (style, features, environment/efficiency, performance) for the past 2.5-3 years, which is a lifetime in the car industry. The Model X, I'm sure, will do the same.

paulp,
I suspect there will be plenty that will point out all the hoopla about AP at the PD launch and the complete lack of anything at the X launch. The only thing that would make it worse is for Tesla to say even one word about AP at the Model X launch as they have surely lost all credibility when it comes to delivery dates. To mention it at the X event would only highlight the failure to deliver since the PD event.

I suspect it is coming. The Captain Obvious follow up to that is that it has turned out to be harder than Tesla thought.

Impressed and cabin filter

I think I was more impressed than I thought I was going to be (of course this is from someone who wasn't there), and the front end grows on you over time. It's quite different. Falcon wing doors most impressive.

Where is the monster air filter in the car? Could you imagine the price (probably not an issue for most owners)?

Some of the comments I get from ICE owners is that it is too close to the ground for an SUV. How would it handle in deep snow conditions?

Last edited:
paulp,
I suspect there will be plenty that will point out all the hoopla about AP at the PD launch and the complete lack of anything at the X launch. The only thing that would make it worse is for Tesla to say even one word about AP at the Model X launch as they have surely lost all credibility when it comes to delivery dates. To mention it at the X event would only highlight the failure to deliver since the PD event.

I suspect it is coming. The Captain Obvious follow up to that is that it has turned out to be harder than Tesla thought.
Some people also thought the same about X. It was late, but when it came it was an awesome car. We have came across leaks about the testing of Autopilot, just like there were leaks of X all around before the launch. In my guess, Autopilot would arrive on cars around late October. And when it will come, people might yet again be swept off their feet and would be happy that they took time to perfect it.

An amazing feat of engineering. What I find stunning are the falcon doors, not only are they incredible but they are also adaptive - they will actually contort in a way to avoid obstacles using a myriad of sensors to plot the best path up, amazing!

An amazing feat of engineering. What I find stunning are the falcon doors, not only are they incredible but they are also adaptive - they will actually contort in a way to avoid obstacles using a myriad of sensors to plot the best path up, amazing!
I support the sentiment of this thread. Well done Elon!! The car looks so beautiful. I thought 5-6 months ago that derivative looks of X will not be good for customer enthusiasm. But, you guys have handled it so well with just small and subtle changes that it looks unique even though its similar to S. All features are so cool also.

A few quick thoughts/questions: Do the door handles extend out at all? In the presentation, it didn't appear that the handles were self-presenting (only that the driver door opened/closed automagically, which was pretty cool). I really liked the pano-windshield, the view out of the front seats will be unreal. It does appear tinted so that the sun doesn't blind/crisp you. The side impact detection is something I didn't expect. My biggest fear with the auto-pilot features is that there will be a false positive detected and the vehicle with swerve unnecessarily. I live in a place where deer collisions are frequent (one reason I hesitated, albeit very briefly, on purchasing the Model S). If the side impact avoidance can detect a deer and scoot the car out of the way to safety, that's huge in my book. Tesla has stated that they are focused on getting more customers that are women with the X. I think that with the overall design, the safety features, and the air filters they stand a good chance at doing just that. I am glad that they have considered how to handle the fact that the falcon doors will not allow a rooftop rack system and have already provided a solution for carrying sports equipment. I'm interested to see the overall specs (including how much it will cost to replace those filters and how much service plans/warranties will cost). Has anyone seen how much ground clearance the X will have? At any rate, I'm looking forward to a future test drive ;)

- - - Updated - - -

+1 to that. The company's reputation for excellence is what drives people to them. If they risk their reputation, they risk their business.
I'm in the better late and right camp.