Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love all these digs over the very smallest of things.

The event wasn't professional
It started late
Elon is not the best presenter (duh)
The one guy left the car door open and Elon had to close it
Elon did not start the presentation by apologizing for it being late

Really?????
I'll take function over form any day. I prefer real people that speak from their mind/heart and not a carefully crafted script. Super polished events keep the event planners gainfully employed but does it really add much, if anything, to the meat and potatoes of what is going on?

Meh. Maybe he should have had another drink or six?

Seriously, it's not like they intentionally start late. Elon can start whenever he wants, his time is worth more than ours the guy who wrote this blog comes off as a child. He wants an apology instead of getting right into it. He made the choice to leave he could've just stayed and talked with other people to pass the time.

It started late

Really?????
I'll take function over form any day. I prefer real people that speak from their mind/heart and not a carefully crafted script. Super polished events keep the event planners gainfully employed but does it really add much, if anything, to the meat and potatoes of what is going on?

This x100000000000

It started late

Really?????

Exactly. A lot of people spend too much time complaining instead of doing stuff.

I think it looks great and I love the new nose cone. However my biggest disappointment is price and unnecessary features.

My wife's Audi Q7 TDi was $63,000 well equipped, but we paid $55,000 out the door. I really want an emissions free SUV/CUV, but I still can't stomach the $100,000 cost. If I modestly equip a Model S 90D it comes out to $98k so I imagine the X will be out $102k.

In my opinion they need to have a much cheaper option to really compete without all of the unnecessary features. No huge air filters, no automatic front doors, no Falcon doors, no Autopilot, no 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. I tried explaining all of these features to my wife and she was not impressed or interested. Essentially she said, we aren't paying another $50K for something similar to the Q7. I know it's much more than the Q7, but it's a very tough sell. I'm hoping they will still reveal a less expensive version in the next couple of months. Otherwise we will probably end up with on of the new PHEV SUV's (X5, Q7, XC90) over the next year. :(

Poorly organized event in general. If you noticed the guy leaving the car and the front door opened and Elon had to walk over to close it again. What was that about?
The part with the two other cars parking close to the X, what did that prove? So you can squeeze into the rear seats through the opened Falcon wing doors? So what? One needs to get into the front seats to drive away. Duh!
It was choreographed very poorly as Elon had to wait a number of times for the cars to be driven in. It was poorly lit.
The car is ugly. It looks like an obese Model S. It could be a cross between a sedan and a KIA Sorento.
Quite unimpressed. It will certainly NOT get second looks by passersby on the street like the Model S does. It won't get a thumbs up either by passersby, like my Model S does either.
Why didn't thy make the Falcon Wing doors as one big door on both sides? Doesn't make sense that the front doors open normally.
I am generally disappointed with this car. As mentioned, it is ugly, obese, and really doesn't store more gear than the Model S other than you can pile stuff higher inside.
I rate this a 2 out of 10.
The front nose is ugly and looks unfinished as well.

Mathematics disagree with you :

(from the Press Release)

Aerodynamics :

"At 0.24, Model X has the lowest drag coefficient of any SUV in history."

I really want Tesla to keep the small company charm, even with all the glitches, as long as they possibly can. Once the presentations are being handled by marketing, you loose almost all access to real information. All you will ever hear is what is on the approved script. Sure, this would solve a few of Tesla's communication problems but at what price? I'm sure the TSA has done some good, but, again, at what price?

It seems like a polarizing design. I like the new nose. The overall look is not as sleek and elegant as the Model S, but I was surprised how good it looks compared to the mules. It will be easier to get in and out of than the MS. It will hold more people in more comfort, and it seems to have ample storage. The only drawback, in my opinion, is the lack of folding second row seats. I'm not about to buy a pickup truck, but a small trailer will probably be in my future. I'm happy to have made my reservation in August and quite happy with what I have seen so far.

Beginning to regret drinking the Kool-Aid

I was really bothered, to the point of being offended, by the reveal event handling. I received an invitation but couldn't go (very glad I didn't now) so I sat at my computer for 55 minutes waiting for the event. During the extended wait there was no information given to those waiting for the stream, or to those at the event live as far as I know. When Elon arrived there was no hint of apology, "Sorry we're late", or explanation. Similarly, there was not the slightest expression of gratitude, "Thanks for coming", or other acknowledgement of his guests and supporters.

Elon is clearly brilliant and I believe that the Model X will be an incredible vehicle. I also believe in his vision and mission. I have voted with my wallet - I'm a stockholder, I own a Model S and I anted up to reserve a Model X. Many of us have. Elon doesn't make the magic alone - it is a partnership which includes Tesla shareholders, customers and supporters. In my opinion the handling of the event showed arrogance and Tesla's partners were treated poorly. How many people attended or watched the event? How many man hours or man years of combined time were wasted by the 55 minute delay? Would some apology, explanation or expression of gratitude been appropriate?

Last week I picked up a new iPhone at the Apple Store. I had a short wait of about 10 minutes. An Apple employee offered me a bottle of water and said, "Sorry for the wait; we'll get you your phone as soon as possible." As I left every Apple employee said, "Thanks for coming in." I felt like a valued customer. With the Tesla event there is nothing that leads me to feel like a valued part of a partnership and I'm not interested in being a cult member and lining up mindlessly to drink more Kool-Aid.

Maybe this is just me and I need to get over myself. Please give me a reality check!

Jeff

So I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but as someone who generally despises of SUVs for being big ugly whales, I have to say I find the X absolutely stunning. And before I go any further I'd like to say I find it beautiful, period, not just relatively.

Having said that, one also needs to consider the class this car is in. I wonder if those who think the car is ugly and a blown up Prius and a monstrosity: have you seen the other SUVs big enough to carry 7 people?! This is like a little puppy compared to those. The hatchback design and the wheels put relatively close to the edges make it look very sporty, yet the new nose takes away that "look at me I am such a badass beast" flashy "face" the prototype had. (The nose still looks weird in white though, but the other colors look great and the license plate will change the look anyway).

Once again, to each his own, but the more I look at it, the more I prefer the X over the S - and I never though I could find any SUV attractive.

I think it looks great and I love the new nose cone. However my biggest disappointment is price and unnecessary features.

My wife's Audi Q7 TDi was $63,000 well equipped, but we paid $55,000 out the door. I really want an emissions free SUV/CUV, but I still can't stomach the $100,000 cost. If I modestly equip a Model S 90D it comes out to $98k so I imagine the X will be out $102k.

In my opinion they need to have a much cheaper option to really compete without all of the unnecessary features. No huge air filters, no automatic front doors, no Falcon doors, no Autopilot, no 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. I tried explaining all of these features to my wife and she was not impressed or interested. Essentially she said, we aren't paying another $50K for something similar to the Q7. I know it's much more than the Q7, but it's a very tough sell. I'm hoping they will still reveal a less expensive version in the next couple of months. Otherwise we will probably end up with on of the new PHEV SUV's (X5, Q7, XC90) over the next year. :(

That is a rational criticism. I also wonder at what price they could sell a no-frills SUV. Right now it is clear that Elon tries to make as much money as possible to fund the huge investments needed on the road to a mass-market BEV, so he has to sell expensive cars. In a few years you may get what you want. But do you really need an SUV ? Europeans do not understand why you guys across the Ocean buy so many SUVs ! We think Americans have an irrational need for big things.

I was really bothered, to the point of being offended, by the reveal event handling. I received an invitation but couldn't go (very glad I didn't now) so I sat at my computer for 55 minutes waiting for the event. During the extended wait there was no information given to those waiting for the stream, or to those at the event live as far as I know. When Elon arrived there was no hint of apology, "Sorry we're late", or explanation. Similarly, there was not the slightest expression of gratitude, "Thanks for coming", or other acknowledgement of his guests and supporters.

Elon is clearly brilliant and I believe that the Model X will be an incredible vehicle. I also believe in his vision and mission. I have voted with my wallet - I'm a stockholder, I own a Model S and I anted up to reserve a Model X. Many of us have. Elon doesn't make the magic alone - it is a partnership which includes Tesla shareholders, customers and supporters. In my opinion the handling of the event showed arrogance and Tesla's partners were treated poorly. How many people attended or watched the event? How many man hours or man years of combined time were wasted by the 55 minute delay? Would some apology, explanation or expression of gratitude been appropriate?

Last week I picked up a new iPhone at the Apple Store. I had a short wait of about 10 minutes. An Apple employee offered me a bottle of water and said, "Sorry for the wait; we'll get you your phone as soon as possible." As I left every Apple employee said, "Thanks for coming in." I felt like a valued customer. With the Tesla event there is nothing that leads me to feel like a valued part of a partnership and I'm not interested in being a cult member and lining up mindlessly to drink more Kool-Aid.

Maybe this is just me and I need to get over myself. Please give me a reality check!

Jeff

I believe you're trying to compare a very well established company that THRIVES on presentation vs. a scrappy start-up that just happens to have a ridiculously good product. I'd look at it this way - all those man-hours and efforts that Apple has to go through to present their products to the public, Tesla puts into their products to create truly earth-shatteringly innovative products.

Reality check!

China

My impression is that the car is aimed at China, where the air is polluted and people in $100K cars have drivers.

I thought overall that it looks great. But the back seems somewhat limited for hauling, which many people consider important in an SUV. I wonder how the (apparently) non-folding second row will be received.

The market for an upscale but smaller EV is probably huge. Most people without multiple kids at home don't want a car as large as the X, or even the S. Most 1%ers with kids in car seats can't (shouldn't) be buying a $100K car with falcon doors.

Mightily disappointed. It was poorly choreographed, as well as Elon had to "wait" several times for the cars to be brought in.
What was happening when after the first car was brought in and the driver exited, Elon had to walk over and re close the front door as it had opened by itself?
What did he prove by having the two ICE cars park next to the X? Sure, one could slip into the X through the opened Falcon Wing door into the "rear" seat, but from what I know about cars is that in order to drive away, one must be sitting in the "front" seat in order to do that. Could still be difficult to get into the front seat if another car parks too close.
The front nose is ugly, my opinion of course. It looks unfinished.
The car is "ugly". Again my opinion. Looks like an obese Model S. It is NOT a sexy looking car either. The Model X will not be getting any "thumbs up" from people walking by as is the case with my Model S.
I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to turn in my Model S for this variation of a KIA Sorento!
Again, my opinion only and you are entitled to my opinion. LOL!
You may also voice your opinion, of course.
The show is underwhelming.:frown: Product as revealed did not live up to my expectation despite the 3.5 year delay.

I hate SUV's but my wife is convinced she needs a third row. To her defense, we regularly take our two kids, her mother, and our two large dogs on camping/road trips around Colorado. The third row isn't completely necessary, but the extra room in the back is required. We looked at a Model S but the back was going to be too small for our dogs. So I was really hoping the X would seal the deal.

Keeping my fingers crossed on some more options down the road. Ultimately I will end up with a Tesla in the next 5-10 years. The Model E will be perfect as my daily driver (even if it's $50k) and I'm sure if this Model X doesn't quite fit the bill, the next generation will have some lower cost options. Or I will convince my wife the $100k isn't a big deal. :)

Jeff

Maybe we have a different standard here (I'm in Denver as well), but I feel the same.
A short delay of a few minutes is okay, but almost an hour without any mention is pretty rude in my opinion.
And to boot, the presentation was a letdown. Did we really need to hear about the air filter for that long?