Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When other ICE manufacturers are playing catch-up, though, they're going to have a tough time matching the MX even when the battery and performance become equal. It's a really good car. If it doesn't match your needs, don't buy it.

Have you ever been inside a 2014+ W222 Mercerdes S-Class? Go sit in one, then go sit in the Tesla Model S. The S-Class also has working AutoPilot like advanced driving assistance by the way.

As I said earlier in this thread:

"ICE car markers are not aggressively pushing towards a strong EV portfolio, because they are currently profitable with ICE and they will be for the foreseeable future. Once EV actually becomes the more attractive option for consumers with improved infrastructure, cost, charge time...etc., they will be able to transition to EV quite quickly. Once that happens, Tesla might not dominate the EV market share for long."

This is not to take away anything from the astonishing achievement of Tesla. Though it will be quite ignorant to underestimate the established ICE manufactures. Not just in technology, but also supplier relationship, brand recognition, and sadly political influence.

Have you ever been inside a 2014+ W222 Mercerdes S-Class? Go sit in one, then go sit in the Tesla Model S. The S-Class also has working AutoPilot like advanced driving assistance by the way.

As I said earlier in this thread:

"ICE car markers are not aggressively pushing towards a strong EV portfolio, because they are currently profitable with ICE and they will be for the foreseeable future. Once EV actually becomes the more attractive option for consumers with improved infrastructure, cost, charge time...etc., they will be able to transition to EV quite quickly. Once that happens, Tesla might not dominate the EV market share for long."

This is not to take away anything from the astonishing achievement of Tesla. Though it will be quite ignorant to underestimate the established ICE manufactures. Not just in technology, but also supplier relationship, brand recognition, and sadly political influence.

The one big question in my mind, is just who is going to make batteries and packs for all these major manufacturer mainstream EVs?

X-wng: Why would I ever want to sit in a Mercedes S-class? It is just another boring ICE car. What does the S-class have to do with the topic at hand? Irrelevant. As irrelevant as other posters who suggest buying an F-150 if I want to carry large items. If the F-150 was an EV, I might consider it. Otherwise, never.

Mike. Production X reservation holder

To get back on topic, I'm not sure I ever really posted my position on the reveal. So I'll do that now.

Admittedly, I had hoped to see more, but at the same time, I was not disappointed and am seriously considering getting in line for an X, even though I could get an S sooner.

Surprises:

1) Advanced cabin air filtration. Love it. I have to put up with a lot of highway stink where I live, and this would likely eliminate it completely.

2) Auto-present front doors. Don't really care at this point. Probably something I would always leave disabled to prevent door opening when I don't really want it to.

3) Front fascia / no nose cone. Not sure about it at first, but it grew on me quickly. I don't love it, but I do like it.

4) Ability of falcon wing doors to dynamically alter their opening arc as needed. Love it.

Worse Than Expected:

1) While I wouldn't call it bad, I would put the 2nd row seats here. I was hoping they would do at least 1 more cool thing than they do. I'm someone indifferent on the folding, but obviously this is a big deal for some folks.

2) Key fob. I thought they would come up with something better/cooler than what the S has, but to me looks like they just recycled the S fob. However, I consider this is petty thing.

3) Inverter / 120v outlet (doesn't appear to be one). Also a minor thing, but would have been nice if they would have included one.

Better Than Expected:

1) Falcon wing doors. Because of the way they can alter their opening arc as needed, and their ability to detect obstacles with the fancy new sensors. Love them. If their long term durability holds up, I would call these a slam dunk.

2) Range and aerodynamics. I think they did a great job here. I was expecting maybe 0.29 drag and maybe 230 miles range.

3) Safety. I knew it was a priority for Tesla in general, but I thought safety was going to slip a little bit on the X, either in side impact and/or rollover.

4) Sound System? I haven't experienced it, so I can't say, but I've been hearing good things about it. I thought it would be on par with Model S, but first reports suggest it may be improved.

As Expected:

1) Performance. I expected really great performance. Looks like they delivered.

2) Style/looks. I expected it to look good. And it does. I like the Model X embossing or whatever it is that you can see with the falcon wing doors up; looks pretty sharp.

3) Towing. I expected reasonable towing capability with at least some effort in coming up with an accessory hitch for skis and bikes. Pretty much on target there.

4) Windshield. This could have been a surprise if I hadn't been following development so closely. But since I had been, it was basically as expected. That said, I like it, with potential to eventually love it, but I need to experience it first.

5) Frunk. Wider than I expected, but not quite as deep as I thought it would be. I like it, but it's volume is basically what I thought it would be overall.

Great points that are pretty close to my sentiment. You should start new thread as I'm afraid, you post will drown in the noise here.

Do we have any reports from people who got to test drive one last night?
No, but we did get to test ride one. (I got home at 4 AM this morning and I am on page 27 of 49. Sorry to see this thread begin with car content and degenerate to CEO caustics. I look forward to the thread getting better by page 50.)

UPDATE: This thread did improve for Elon, but sure turned worse with the troll. May I suggest a Model X to pull a boat and go trolling at sea?

My number one comment about the Tesla Motors Model X Launch Event was the ability to enjoy talking to people for 6 hours. I had my "Mark Z" name tag on the Tesla jacket and people were asking questions. Sure our bus couldn't get in and we had to walk from Kato Road, but that was part of the adventure. I got to see many Tesla employees who shouted my name from a distance and shared my excitement to attend. Once inside, we quickly got beverages and food where the trays were being carried (it made getting seconds easy). Unlike previous events where you could move around, this time we all stood in place. Having a nearby couch allowed for an occasional rest during the wait.

Arrive early - Stay late. That's my style and it pays off. Got to enjoy viewing the Elon Model X with the first group who approached the stage. Enjoyed a brief conversation with Franz von Holzhausen as I apologized about my 6 seat choice since my passengers chose that option. I do like both interiors and being able to return to sit inside Model X at 12:00 AM with a nearly empty stage allowed for complete analysis. My 500 badge resulted in a ride about 10:30 PM, I then proceeded to watch the cars unload and load for about 30 minutes while chatting with Tesla staff. Oh the things you learn doing that! Staying busy taking photos, asking questions, and answering many questions that other buyers have is what these events are geared for. If you only watch, then enjoy the live cast at the comfort of home. The angle of the professional video camera is best, so it's best to watch the video again from home after attending the event.

OT: Best of all was taking a factory tour the next day. Seeing a "Training X" near the final assembly line with multiple workers installing the components gave a hint of how they are progressing towards getting our cars finished after the training is complete. Some X chassis frames were visible at various locations. The two lines of S and X will merge before the final assembly point. All the cars go through a production line, just at a slower pace for Model X until the learning curve allows for faster production. Nice to know the robots will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting and assembly for quality. Several employees waved to us as we rode by on the tram. Our tour guide was extremely enthusiastic and it was great to see the Fremont factory busier than ever.

PS: For those upset over the start of the show with safety, no problem. Those who attended the 2012 Model S Ride event at Fremont will remember the start of that presentation: crash videos! Now that was a shocking beginning to see. Starting with safety worked then, and it will work now. Safety is the #1 reason to buy a Tesla EV. Lowering emissions is important, but I want fun doing it. Nothing better than driving a Roadster, Model S or Model X for the personal all electric transportation of the future, today!

Last edited:
Being a couple of days since I saw the presentation I am very much on the fence. I am just not as enthusiastic about the car as I hoped to be. I think the car is too gimmicky:
- it is nice that de door opens itself if you are walking toward it but why would I need that? Solved a problem which is not there.
- the Falcon Wing door, I think it will start to be a nuacance than a comfort, a I also would like to see the reliability of these.
- bio hazard mode...really? What problem did that one solve? Replacing the filters costs....$$$
- the windshield, probably nice until you get a rock on your windscreen and you have to replace that darn thing $$$

Maybe I wil come around if I see the X life, at that time the first reviews will be in and I can see what people really think about, for instance, the falcon wing doors in real life. At that time there might have been a reveal of the Model III, which might suit me better.

Just because EVs are 40-95% better at limiting emissions, doesn't suddenly make them worthless for the environment. Humans wouldn't be running into anywhere near the current level of unnatural climate change if every car on the road was an EV.

There's natural forces out in the world that can limit CO2 emissions to a neutral level if we're all driving EVs and renewable tech advances even at its current pace for another 20-30 years or so. There isn't if we still drive ICEs.

No matter what you believe, each and every single EV buyer--even those in coal-ridden states--are improving the environment overall, and they are improving it substantially in urban areas (which results in huge cost savings for healthcare, smog cleanup, noise pollution, and heat pollution for AC costs). EVs now are a drop in a bucket but they will become exponentially more effective as more ICEs are replaced while simultaneously we keep moving toward cheaper, renewable energy.

And I also agree that, for now, EVs will never match any one's needs 100%. I plan on buying a Model 3 but I know there will be many aspects that I won't like, as I'd prefer something similar to a smart car or Fiat but with Tesla-like range and enhanced safety.

When other ICE manufacturers are playing catch-up, though, they're going to have a tough time matching the MX even when the battery and performance become equal. It's a really good car. If it doesn't match your needs, don't buy it.

Wow! nobody really read any of my posts (just the snipits that were quoted). I agree with you! That WSJ article was junk and I wish I did not quote it, but all the thoughtful responses had good data and made my same point with slightly different numbers which I will concede. Everyone has been quoting me as if I am anti EV or anti Tesla.
If you read my original posts and not just pieces you will see that I always state the EVs are the way to go and purchasing one is commendable. I also state that Tesla has built one of the best cars ever (ICE or otherwise).

I was merely letting some people (who think if I don't like the non folding seats, I hate the environment) that EVs are not zero emissions and it depends on where your power comes from how much carbon offset you are getting. It is a true statement that in some areas, EVs are worse than a Prius. I also stated and will state again that this is changing and EVs are the future and we should continue to buy them. Just don't be so proud of ourselves and bash everything else or any questioning of Tesla products.

It seems you get bashed for any dislike of any feature of any Tesla product on this forum. It was a definite miss for Tesla and I suspect Elon wanted folding seats also, but they just couldn't take another delay so they went with what they had. I almost guarantee the six seat option will be more popular. Nobody wants to have to rent a truck to carry a rake or floor lamp when any sub-compact can to that. Otherwise a home run and in the end I am sure they will work it out, but it's OK if Tesla's and EVs are not perfect, please don't bash me. Will I not get slammed if I say Tesla gets an A+ rather than an A++?

X reservation 16,448

It's a really good car.

X-wng: Why would I ever want to sit in a Mercedes S-class? It is just another boring ICE car.

Just wanted to point out that there are lots of nice cars in that price range.

Far as ICE car being boring, ICE sure is popular still. Just how much market share does EV have at the moment? How is the coverage of the charging network? How long does it take to charge?

I am 100% for EV, but that holier than thou attitude isn't gonna help with EV adaptation. Just my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

The one big question in my mind, is just who is going to make batteries and packs for all these major manufacturer mainstream EVs?

That is a very good question. LG and Samsung come to mind but I doubt they'd be able to scale up volume quickly. Perhaps Tesla will be able to spare a few from the Gigafactories? :)

Once there is a business case for EV batteries, I wouldn't be surprised to see OEM suppliers pop up for not just batteries but motors as well. It is much easier and quicker to set up shop in Asia where unfortunately environmental regulation aren't quite as strict and there is always a shortcut through the red tapes.

Tesla could choose to become a battery supplier as well. GM used to supply BMW with transmissions. Samsung built processors for Apple. Sony supplies camera sensor to Canon and Nikon.

That is a very good question. LG and Samsung come to mind but I doubt they'd be able to scale up volume quickly. Perhaps Tesla will be able to spare a few from the Gigafactories? :)
Just read the other day, LG is starting to build a new battery factory in EU (50k capacity). They are building one in China now (100k). They have existing 200k in Korea and 50k in US.

If Nissan starts building batteries using LG chemistry, that is another 400k or so world wide.

Enjoyed a brief conversation with Franz von Holzhausen as I apologized about my 6 seat choice since my passengers chose that option.
Curious why you apologized to Franz, is the 6 seater not his design too? As a follow-up to our discussion on the other thread, did you get to see the 6 seater production model, other than the Founder's with second row console special ordered?

Curious why you apologized to Franz, is the 6 seater not his design too? As a follow-up to our discussion on the other thread, did you get to see the 6 seater production model, other than the Founder's with second row console special ordered?
I just wanted to let him know that I loved the design of the seats and making the decision to have a seat removed wasn't easy. Franz was able to sell me on the fact that there is more room in the 2nd row than in the rear seat of Model S. I did mention the lack of facts from my advisor during the phone call to choose the 6 or 7 seat option within 24 hours, so that may have made a difference for some buyers. Franz also mentioned the center console existed in one of the drive experience Model X vehicles, so that enabled me to hunt that down and take photos. He did mention that the arm rest console for the 6 Seat Interior option is being considered, but not a planned option at the present time.

Our conversation was positive and if I could add one more comment to Franz it would be that seeing Elon's car without the crowd confirmed the excellent final design. Photos do NOT do it justice. Some guests mentioned it has lines of a spaceship. My summary is that inside and out, it has a futuristic design with comfort in mind. I love the design of Elon's X when it was on stage and look forward to taking photos of my Signature Red Model X.

No Six Seat Interior existed without the console. While enjoying climbing in and out of Elon's Model X, the forward movement of the center seat did allow guests to experience some of that extra floor space when seated in the back row.

Last edited:
I really need to see the car in the light and up close which I was not able to do at the reveal. Need to work the seats in all options and sit in all seats, drive the car and look at the options and colors. Also see the pricing. Then I will make a decision to but or not to buy.

IMO, Elon seriously needs to either 1) greatly improve his presentations; or 2) delegate to someone else. I think Tesla is great, but seriously, it was an awkward presentation overall.

I thought it was fine overall - the most awkward bits were from people/drivers shuffling around on stage. While watching I thought it would be pretty cool to have the show cars drive themselves for the reveal of the Model 3. Would be a real feat in terms of demonstrating Autopilot and make for a lot of wow factor.

I can't stand most professional presenters. Sure they have proper enunciation and appropriate mannerisms, but they always come across as sterile, cold and emotionless. Elon is the perfect presenter for Tesla, in my opinion. He gives every kid the impression "I could be him" since he oozes childhood wonder.