Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ready for Tesla to start charging again for pear white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not like white cars; however, I fell in love with the pearl white. It is so awesome. However, now that it is free everyone has one . Can Tesla switch back to the lame plain single black for the free and charge for the white again or do not charge for any of the colors.

I love black and went to get a black. The obsidian was awesome the current plain black has nothing to it. It needs some flake or something it seems like a black paint you would find on the base model corolla.

so I went in knowing I would have to get the black to being very disappointed with the cheapness of the black and surprisingly loving every other color more. I was between white and red, then white and blue, then white and midnight silver, and finally I realized I was always between white and something. So I got white!
7878CE6D-8DDE-487C-A328-1501151F4BE8.jpeg

The pearl is just an amazing sparkle in the sun and the slight color change gets so many comments.

I cannot believe this is the free paint color, most manufactures of this level of pearl as a premium option.

You made the right choice. Good for you. Never good to second guess yourself out of what you want. I was also surprised to see the white become default color. But, tongue firmly out of cheek, I was quite happy about it.

Had similar feelings ; with the Pearl White free it was a no brainer for me. Very glad it is a nice pearl shade and not a flat boring white.

Heard the black was causing too many issues at delivery time ; imperfections to correct, cars rejected. The extra expense to correct these issues was costing the company more money than extra time initial painting costs. They researched and discovered White had the least amount of issues noted at delivery / rejections so made it free.

I still am shocked the Metallic Silver was not ordered much and got discontinued as that in my opinion is the best color for the car in terms of mixture of good looks and least maintenance.

My (BMW) M3 is white, my first white car ever. I love the color to death now since it stays so cool in the Texas summers, where it can get to 105F+ easily. So ordering my white Tesla P3D- was an easy decision. Would've paid extra for the Pearl White, but glad it was free :D

Had similar feelings ; with the Pearl White free it was a no brainer for me. Very glad it is a nice pearl shade and not a flat boring white.

Heard the black was causing too many issues at delivery time ; imperfections to correct, cars rejected. The extra expense to correct these issues was costing the company more money than extra time initial painting costs. They researched and discovered White had the least amount of issues noted at delivery / rejections so made it free.

I still am shocked the Metallic Silver was not ordered much and got discontinued as that in my opinion is the best color for the car in terms of mixture of good looks and least maintenance.
I agree I would have seriously been hard pressed joy to get silver.

White is government cars and the last thing I want my M3 to look like.

Can’t say I’ve seen Model 3 govt cars and doubt they’re govt cars are pearl paint.

I ordered my Model 3 when Pearl White was an extra cost. Love it. First white car too. Had it PPF and ceramic pro’d and love how when it rains the dirt washes off by itself for the most part and looks pretty clean.

With the Pearl as $0 upcharge now, I’m seeing a ton of pearl white Model 3s, MS and MXs on the roads out here. Nice to notice Tesla doing so well and populating our roads but I’d be fine if Tesla switches to another Standard color however :).

I don't know....white is probably my 2nd choice of color; love the contrast between the rims and the paint. My thought process was like this...

Black - Owned a couple black cars in the past. Looks AWESOME when clean. But drive it off the driveway and it's no longer clean.
White - Owned 3 cars that were white; bought them CPO and was flexible with the color. The financial deal was more important.
Gray - Currently have a Mustang Cobra in Dark Shadow Gray. Didn't want to have 2 cars of a similar color.
Red - IMO, more of a sporty, 2-door color. ie Ferrari, Corvette, etc.

Blue - Never owned a blue car. Electricity ... blue ... kinda related, so I went with it.

Reactions: jpfive
Can’t say I’ve seen Model 3 govt cars and doubt they’re govt cars are pearl paint.

I ordered my Model 3 when Pearl White was an extra cost. Love it. First white car too. Had it PPF and ceramic pro’d and love how when it rains the dirt washes off by itself for the most part and looks pretty clean.

With the Pearl as $0 upcharge now, I’m seeing a ton of pearl white Model 3s, MS and MXs on the roads out here. Nice to notice Tesla doing so well and populating our roads but I’d be fine if Tesla switches to another Standard color however :).
He is probably one that bought the black site unseen and is trying to convince himself that it isn’t as basic as it really is.

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
I don't know....white is probably my 2nd choice of color; love the contrast between the rims and the paint. My thought process was like this...

Black - Owned a couple black cars in the past. Looks AWESOME when clean. But drive it off the driveway and it's no longer clean.
White - Owned 3 cars that were white; bought them CPO and was flexible with the color. The financial deal was more important.
Gray - Currently have a Mustang Cobra in Dark Shadow Gray. Didn't want to have 2 cars of a similar color.
Red - IMO, more of a sporty, 2-door color. ie Ferrari, Corvette, etc.

Blue - Never owned a blue car. Electricity ... blue ... kinda related, so I went with it.
I do love the blue. But I do love the red, and...all but black. Which blows my mind because I was sold on black until I saw how plain the black is with Tesla.
The blue is awesome. Especially with the chrome delete and tint.

trying to get the wife into a Y and will hopefully get her into the Red or Blue.

I can’t think of any other car manufacturer that charges an upgrade for every color other than white (or black). But I do agree the white paint on the Tesla is quite nice, and a bargain at free.

Eh, not quite a bargain.

Here's the pricing from my Model 3 purchase in April 2019:
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 12.38.27 AM.png

and here's the pricing if I bought the same vehicle today:
Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 12.39.26 AM.png

Note that mine included HomeLink, frunk hooks, phone cables and the NEMA 14-50 connector. None of those would be included now.

So I'd say the "paid for" Pearl White cost less than the "Free" Pearl White does now. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 12.39.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 12.39.26 AM.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt