Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real life experience with Xcelerate warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Tesla did the inspection and reported the rodent damage. It doesn't get them out of paying anything.

Yes it does. It’s a warranty, not insurance.

Warranty pays for faulty parts that have failed due to a defect. Like your MCU bubbles or leaking LDU gasket.

Insurance pays for damage from covered perils like wrecks, floods, physical damage, etc.

Warranty companies have to verify the cause of failure to make sure you don’t just hit your MCU with a hammer and make a claim to get it replaced. Rodent damage is not a warranty item.

Having an interesting experience; I'll attempt to leave my opinon out of thread.

day1; brought in for rear driver door handle and trunk; told it was going take 4 hours and to wait in waiting room (no loaner). After 6 hours they said it was going take additional day.
During this time I went back and forth with endurance; they wanted root cause before approving any charges. Tesla service center did not want to talk to them and stated root cause was not possible. xcare stepped in and called service center; thought i was good at this point.
day2; its going take additional 2 days now; cost has increased from 700 to 800 and now to 1200.
day3; now they are saying rodent damage; as they found droppings and food apparently. Going guess this is how they get out of paying; read the fine print i guess.
day4; told them i just want car back and i'll take a look on own; have not gotten a response yet.

Not the best experience; going be a bit peeved when I go into that door and find the plastic gear is stripped; just like the last two I fixed... but hey; "maybe"a rodent chewed the gear i guess... Entire thing just felt odd/wrong; 4 days and going on 5 to fix a door handle? I've swapped entire motors in that time.
Hey @jas caf
I just DM'd you so we can look up your claim and talk specifics.

Yes, finding out a little critter went into your car and damaged components is never fun...To speak generally, since Tesla does the inspection and determine cause of failure, we go by what they say. If Tesla tells us there is rodent damage that caused the issue, then that is not eligible for coverage. As stated in this thread, any physical damage, accidents, flood, rodent damage, etc. Unfortunately we have seen Rodent damage to a couple of other XCare members, and the damage was bad enough (effected multiple wiring harnesses) that they went the auto insurance route since rodent damage would generally be covered by auto insurance, like an accident would.

When you get a chance, please DM us back and we can look in more specifically into your case.
-Libby
XCare Customer Success Manager

But X-Care is providing the service plan not Tesla. So there is no reason for Tesla to make anything up so that X-Care could deny the claim.

It would be in Tesla's interest to find as much broken as possible so that they make money fixing it at X-Care's expense.

Endurance is relying on the technician to qualify the cause of failure, they aren’t sending an adjuster themselves. If you disagree with the service center’s evaluation, you can take the car to an independent shop and get them to assess it. All they need to approve is a covered cause of failure.

Mike I don't think he's talking Tesla not paying but X-Care not paying due to the fact that Tesla said it was rodents that caused the problem.

Correct.

Reactions: 6364Dart
Not the best experience; going be a bit peeved when I go into that door and find the plastic gear is stripped; just like the last two I fixed... but hey; "maybe"a rodent chewed the gear i guess... Entire thing just felt odd/wrong; 4 days and going on 5 to fix a door handle? I've swapped entire motors in that time.
Not exactly sure the point of this post. You brought your car to Tesla, they claim rodent damage. Because of this XCare won’t cover it, rightly so.
You can’t really be pissed off at XCare. Since you haven’t proved otherwise, it’s premature to blame Tesla for a misdiagnosis. It seems that you know more than the Tesla techs, so just fix it yourself for a fraction of the cost and don’t even get XCare or Tesla involved.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not exactly sure the point of this post. You brought your car to Tesla, they claim rodent damage. Because of this XCare won’t cover it, rightly so.
You can’t really be pissed off at XCare. Since you haven’t proved otherwise, it’s premature to blame Tesla for a misdiagnosis. It seems that you know more than the Tesla techs, so just fix it yourself for a fraction of the cost and don’t even get XCare or Tesla involved.
Just sharing my experience for those looking to make an informed decision; one could even make the astounding leap of faith that is the entire point of a message board; but eh...

Xcare was incredibly supportive and friendly; I'm not sure where the notion came from that I was upset with them.

On the other hand, Tesla presented quite the intriguing service adventure. It’s delightful when support keeps you guessing—nothing like a bit of suspense to brighten your day. As I mentioned earlier, the experience had its own unique, rustic charm; similar to stubbing your toe or stepping on a lego. Considering it's a new service center, perhaps the notably shorter wait time compared to others nearby should have been my first hint of the distinctive experience that awaited.

Rodent damage is usually car insurance issue. Tesla service is something I have avoided so far. Rodents are no fun. We're looking at getting a terrier since our current dog is only good at hunting stuffed animals.
Alot of auto manufactures (including tesla) switched to soy based wiring insulation / bioplastic. I am sure its completely un-related; wrapping wires in little rodent treats.

• Funny
Reactions: spata
Had quite the experience that I wanted to share. Xcare / Brent / Libby took care of me. That's the "Cut to the chase" part of this story.

So, I ended up taking my car in for the dreaded "Safety Restraint System Fault" error message that I've actually had three times in the last year. Last two were covered under warranty. My 5 year ran up and now have xcare. Great. I know they'll take care of it.

I ended up filing a claim and bringing my car in for service. Tech tells me it's due to rodent damage. I was floored. So I figured "Cool. I understand it's not covered and now have to go through insurance for comprehensive."

I end up doing that and once the adjuster came out the Tesla service center told them it wasn't rodent damage and it was actually due to a harness connector pins becoming loose and don't fit in properly which is why I got the code. I figure "Hell yeah. Gonna open this claim back up because now I know it's from Internal failure / wear and tear." I do that. I end up calling the phone number to explain the situation and the asked me for photos since now all of a sudden Tesla changed it from Rodent to Internal Failure. Annoying, but I get it I suppose.

So I send them photos and a video. They cant open the video and tell me I need to take photos of the damage. The issue was that the connector didn't show any wear of damage, only the video. Being annoyed at this time I end up messaging Brent because the only way they'll see the damage is if they open up that video file of the connector wobbling.

Within 5 minutes they contacted Tesla and my claim was approved.

Was it frustrating? Yeah. But it wasn't xcare's fault either. It's annoying that Tesla assumed it to be rodent damage until they actually inspected further. 6 days later. So boo on Tesla's part (though on the flip side my service center is ALWAYS super helpful / nice most of the time.)

After purchasing my warranty from xcare (2nd time using it) it's already paid for itself within TWO MONTHS of ownership of the warranty.

Thanks so much to Brent + everyone at xcare! So happy I purchased this warranty.

I just purchased XCare. Covers everything, including the HV battery and drive units until 6/2031 or 130,000 miles, $0 deductible. I figure I won't have any issues when I sell the car since it is under warranty for so long and the new owner can pay me the prorated remainder value of the service contract whenever I sell.

• Love
Reactions: UMADTY
I just purchased XCare. Covers everything, including the HV battery and drive units until 6/2031 or 130,000 miles, $0 deductible. I figure I won't have any issues when I sell the car since it is under warranty for so long and the new owner can pay me the prorated remainder value of the service contract whenever I sell.
What are the details on your car and how much was the warranty?

What are the details on your car and how much was the warranty?
I have a 2020 Long Range +. The policy covers the next 100K miles, or about 130K miles total for me. There is a 30 day waiting period, so my coverage starts at the end of June, and goes for 7 years from that date. The rate may be higher for a car with more miles, state of residence, and year/model type of car. My car is still under full Tesla warranty until end of June. My comparison of this warranty verses Tesla extended warranty was that they both cover and exclude the same things, plus I get the extended EV battery and drive unit warranty until the policy runs out. With a $0 deductible per service visit (Tesla has a higher deductible), it was about $4700.

Tesla wants $3100 for 2 years or 25K miles AND $100 per visit deductible. You can know exactly what it will be for your car, without even entering your email, by going to: XCare EV Protection

Last edited: