Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real MPH charging experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really curious what others are experiencing as far as charging speed.
When I got my car in mid-December I was getting around 16-17 mph charging at 40 amps with a single charger.
Lately my car seems to be getting more like 21 mph on the same NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage.
The Tesla web site states that we should get "up to 31 mph" under these conditions.
I regularly check the charging status of my car and it always seems to be running at 21 mph and 40 amps.

I was at my service center this week and pointed that out to my Service Mgr.
It just happened that he had a car charging as we were talking, and it was showing 21 mph, 40 amps, just like mine.
He said that is typical of the rate he sees on their 40 amp plug, and is also curious as to the stated "up to 31 mph" claim.
He said they are supposed to get a HPWC soon and will see if that changes anything with single charger cars.

So, what are others experiencing?

I'm really curious what others are experiencing as far as charging speed.
When I got my car in mid-December I was getting around 16-17 mph charging at 40 amps with a single charger.
Lately my car seems to be getting more like 21 mph on the same NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage.
The Tesla web site states that we should get "up to 31 mph" under these conditions.
I regularly check the charging status of my car and it always seems to be running at 21 mph and 40 amps.

I was at my service center this week and pointed that out to my Service Mgr.
It just happened that he had a car charging as we were talking, and it was showing 21 mph, 40 amps, just like mine.
He said that is typical of the rate he sees on their 40 amp plug, and is also curious as to the stated "up to 31 mph" claim.
He said they are supposed to get a HPWC soon and will see if that changes anything with single charger cars.

So, what are others experiencing?

i get around 25 mph on my nema 14-50. That's @236v And 40a

what voltage are you seeing when charging?

I get about 20 MPH on my 14-50. I believe others have observed that the displayed charging rate seems to be taking your past energy usage into account and is displaying a "projected" actual mph charge.

The actual "ideal" mile recharge rate is about 31 mph. If you're getting close to that, it means you live in a warm climate and drive like a grandma. :)

More voltage sag and lower mph right now (the car got pretty hot sitting out in the sun for over an hour):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362341458.658605.jpg

I think I see around 21-23 usually, although I recently changed it to show me WH instead (10 WH I think it is), which helps me not obsess about minor variations or why I don't see a higher rate.

As I recall from discussions at the TM.com forums, if your SoC is very low, you charge faster, but as you approach finishing, it slows down a little--like the Superchargers, no? I've never had my battery so low that I've noticed a big difference, but I think I did notice it was more like 23-24 when I first plugged in--once it ramped up the amps to 40--but more like 21 when it got closer to finishing. As I recall, anyway,

Change your setting to Ideal. If you don't see 30-31 after 5 minutes of charging with pack less than 50%, then be concerned. Otherwise, assume it's a projected/rated/fictional number somewhere in the range [10,infinity). That's how I view it at the moment.

I don't trust the charging rate display. Perhaps it is showing projected. I'd prefer rated because that's what you're working with on the display while charging. It's also more informative from a "how full" perspective.

When you're talking about range, you have to specify whether you're talking about rated or ideal miles. I think there is a bug in the way rated miles per hour charge is reported. I see 31 ideal on a 14-50, but around 20 rated. But 31 ideals miles should equal 27-28 rated miles.

zax123, i responded to your other question about this on another thread. The charge slows it's charge as it get's more full. Looks like it's almost at the finish line for a standard charge. Therefore it will be a slower charge. Run your car down to about 40-50km (wont be that hard cause you'll find a reason to make a good trip with it lol) then plug it. I saw 50km/hour when I was at 0km charge on the car :)

zax123, i responded to your other question about this on another thread. The charge slows it's charge as it get's more full. Looks like it's almost at the finish line for a standard charge. Therefore it will be a slower charge. Run your car down to about 40-50km (wont be that hard cause you'll find a reason to make a good trip with it lol) then plug it. I saw 50km/hour when I was at 0km charge on the car :)

OK thanks man, I hope you're right. I should do a 120km+ trip soon so that might show the behaviour you're talking about.

Can't wait for my HPWC. :)

Based on current-at-wall and observed charging efficiency, I put together this chart that seems close to reality. I have it and other charts/calculations posted at http://EVTripPlanner.com (where I'm planning to put a "Trip Energy Planner" that should be able to estimate the energy usage for a particular route within less than 5%, taking into consideration speed, hills, weather).

Very nice chart. Thank you for the post.

The web site other adapters reference:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18210&d=1363065456

I'm curious about this for the modifications to my garages subpanel for the future Model X.