Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real World Experiences with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that a 7 dot perk? If so, I guess I should go get a flat real quick. I could use a good dinner.

You've only got 6 dots.

- - - Updated - - -

Tenderfoot here! Why can't u change your own tire?

I could, but I like how they fold my laundry.

- - - Updated - - -

So enough of the humor (for the moment, anyway...). My Roadster went in for annual service last month. It wasn't convenient for me to pick it up because of travel/work/etc. and car swapping. So the guys just brought it over for me and dropped it off. And it was all shiny clean. I love Tesla service.

Took my car to the Burlingame service center for tire rotation and to get an occasionally petulant front passenger door handle (the original one from Jan 2013) and a creaking liftgate fixed among other little things.

Thomas, the service advisor (who apparently came over from Merc Benz just a month ago), got all the issues addressed and was a pleasure to work with. The tires were rotated (for free again just because I have the ESA, not even the service plans! It would have been $70 otherwise), the gas struts for the liftgate replaced, the door handle replaced and all the other minor concerns addressed. Several TSBs were applied as well under warranty.

The only issue that they couldn't reproduce is that of the flashing headlights when the wipers, when on auto, sweep. But, the firmware was updated to 5.8.7 (1.49.84).

Tires are in great shape. There was no mention of the need to do an annual service.

Thomas was quite apologetic about not having any Tesla loaners as they are waiting for the next batch to be manufactured. But, he got me a BMW 528i from Enterprise. Far better than the Chevy Impala last June in Fremont but, I missed my MS every minute that I drove the 528i. What an unintuitive interior layout, laggy pickup and an ordinary driving experience further marred by the disconcerting auto-stop-start shudder that is labeled EfficientDynamics or some such. These other guys are ages behind Tesla.

All in all, a wonderful service experience. Keep it up, Tesla!

gg--what was the problem with the liftgate gas struts? They usually last a while.

They started creaking pretty bad as the liftgate went up or down like there were a bunch of pebbles in them or something. The service folks reproduced the problem and decided that replacement of the struts was the best/easiest solution. I had forgotten how smooth they used to and ought to sound.

Got today the famous Tesla preventive service call :D someone mentioned the parking breaks locking hard on his Model S on some thread and I contributed that when I paked my car two weeks ago for four days and then moved it the first time there too was a loud crack when the parking break broke free. So today I suddenly got a call from Tesla Copenhagen Service that they had heard that I had had an issue with my parking break locking after 4 days of standing and if everything was fine or they could do something.

I laughed and mentioned that I had only mentioned it on TMC and that all was fine as I considered it normal for high performance cars and have experienced it before with my evo x too. He laughed and confirmed indeed that it does happen if the car is driven and then with warm breaks left to stand a day or more with parking break engaged and as long as all was fine with no odd noise or anything else afterwards, then I'm good. Thanked him for superb service and promised to let them know the moment there's anything they can do to help.

Truly hard to believe such service truly exists :) Remember, I'm far out from the core market and there are only two Model S in Estonia, but the service contacts I've had so far have all been far above and beyond of what my best hopes could have been. So thank you Tesla as I know you're reading this :)

Tesla Ranger - Real world service experiences.

I had a problem with the front passenger door popping open when the car was opened by the remote. I called Mike at the Torrance Service Center and he sent a ranger who drove 2 hours to Rancho Mirage to replace the defective door handle. Thruout the process Tesla was proactive and that is the reason I will lonely buy another Tesla. Can't wait till the X
thank you Elon and Team tesla

Another great service experience today at Tesla Burlingame. Got a new 12V battery and hopefully a car that's going to sleep more soundly at night than before.

For the first time, got a P85 loaner (VIN 28863 with about 1,300 miles) that I couldn't really put "through its paces" given the rain here ;) Didn't like the noise level in the cabin with the 21" wheels though - my own car with 19" wheels is a lot quieter!

5adeqena.jpg

Did my bit to show my appreciation for the service by gifting my service advisor with a couple of EA game titles (that I get for free at work) :)

Excellence in Execution

I have posted else where about my Tesla service experience, but I feel it is also relevant to the Investor forum.

I have been an investor for longer then I have been an owner. [Most of my stock cost me $25-$32/share.]

One of the concerns of any long term investor is can the company continue to execute a very ambitious business plan or is it building a "house of cards" that will come tumbling down any day. Having started a half dozen companies in my life including one which grew to 200+ employees and $24M sales, I know first hand that the "devil is in the details" and that if competent execution does not follow a great strategic plan, an investor is bound to experience an unpleasant outcome.

I continue to be amazed and delighted by Tesla’s execution. At every opportunity to interact with Tesla staff regarding day-to-day matters, I increase my opinion of the company and its management.

I was the first to own a Model S in Spokane, WA which is 4 hour drive of 275 miles to cross the state of Washington from the Tesla Bellevue Service Center. I bought the deluxe service plan for unlimited Ranger visits to my home with some mis-givings about how, in practice, this was going to really work. I imagined that I would probably have to "twist some arms" to get the Rangers out here and that I should probably expect not the best of turn-around times. Wow! I could not have been more wrong. The Service Center treats me like I am their only customer and my home is just around the block from the Service Center. I have had 4 visits by the Ranger’s this year, one was on a SAME DAY an issue came up. The first two were repairs/upgrades done in my drive-way, and the 3 & 4 visits were to pickup and drop off my car so it could be serviced at the Bellevue Service Center. I was given a "brand new" P60 loaner vehicle for the term of my car’s service in Bellevue.

I have gone from a skeptical expectation that I would have to be a "squeaky wheel" to get my minimum service needs met to ABSOLUTE DELIGHT at how responsive the Service department has actually delivered my service.

Today I received the "follow up" eMail from the Service Manager (I had already received a follow-up eMail from the Service Concierge!) and this was my response:

I am delighted with Tesla Service. Every staff member I have met has been exemplary.

What probably impresses me most is not the quality of the work requested (which is excellent), but the going "above and beyond" the "call of duty" to uncover and repair defects that I was unaware of. My most recent service order had 18 items ONLY 6 of them I had specifically requested! Door handles were replaced because of corrosion or marginal operation. My driver's seat was replaced because of an intermittent seat belt warning indicator.

Many other unseen small engineering improvements were implemented. The result of which I feel like I have a new car again. The willingness of Tesla to be pro-active and upgrade the older (2012) cars to the new standards whenever feasible and cost effective demonstrates their long term commitment to their customers' on-going and continued delight with the company and its products.

The little things like leaving extra fob batteries in the cup holder for the fob not present with the car demonstrate an attention to detail that reassures the customer that their "user experience" after sale remains a high priority. Especially in this era of "sell 'em then forget 'em" that many (most) large multinational companies seem to follow, Tesla stands out as a beacon of excellence that sets a new floor for acceptable customer post sale relationships.

I continue to "talk up" my Model S and my Tesla experience with anyone who will listen. Just yesterday I gave a test drive to a prospect who was aware of the brand but had not experienced one first hand. I would expect this should generate a sale within the next 12 months.

What else can I say but, "Keep up the good work!".

IMG_20140530_162804.jpg
IMG_20140530_162226.jpg
IMG_20140529_201529.jpg
A couple pics of my 2 Tesla cars and a few of my many Tesla collectables. My Model S has been blacked out with red emblems. My Roadster has some matte black accents and some added carbon fiber. Wasn't sure where to post pics but some of my Tesla friends suggested to post to this site. Contact me if you are in New England area and you want to know more on location I got my cars done.

View attachment 50567A couple pics of my 2 Tesla cars and a few of my many Tesla collectables. My Model S has been blacked out with red emblems. My Roadster has some matte black accents and some added carbon fiber. Wasn't sure where to post pics but some of my Tesla friends suggested to post to this site. Contact me if you are in New England area and you want to know more on location I got my cars done.

Where did u get the Elon bobble head? I gotta get one.

Just another Tesla service comment...

I had my baby in for the battery shield install and some other minor issues ...

Got to hand it to the team at the Dania Beach, FL service center ... Great work as always.

Dropped off the car at 9:30am ... Leidys had the loaner ready.

They installed the shield, put in a new 12v proactive replacement (#4 for me), fixed a rattle (a/c vent), installed the a/c compressor acoustic cover (yay), installed a couple SB items, firmware to 5.11 and rotated my tires.

Got a call and picked her up at 3:30! :love:

FYI ... Tesla is now handing out key chains for the fob.

20140709_172833.jpg

Early Signature cars are often known to have a few extra glitches. My Pano roof has always been sticky. It was sticky the day I picked it up, and after multiple repair attempts it was better but still a bit sticky. Last service they replaced the glass, and managed to get it working 100% perfectly for the first time ever... except that now it had a big wind leak.

This Monday they brought a loaner and took my car away. It came back today. They replaced a bracket and that fixed the wind leak. Pano is now 100% perfect. Nice job!!!

I had been wondering about the 3G reception in my car, and I noticed that it worked a lot better in the loaner. So did they. Without me even having to ask, they fixed my 3G by replacing the coax cable to the antenna. Very nice! And along the way they apparently noticed that my side mirrors wouldn't fold in, so they replaced those too.

Wow, they really went above and beyond this time. Took a little extra time, but they fixed more things than I was even aware of.

Please don't tell me you were texting and driving. This does not bode well about Tesla owners. LOL! Or should it be "LOL!" and be just " What were you thinking?
Please don't text and drive!

Uh, no, I was pulled over on the side of the highway at the time. Absolutely no way I would ever even attempt to text while driving. People who do that are totally nuts.

LOL I posted that three years ago... you're a bit late to the party. Was it even illegal at the time?