Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic Reliability of Used 2014 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I already placed a down payment on a 2014 Model S (85kwh) awaiting delivery. I spend at least an hour a day scouring this forum for information. I can't help but get drawn into the posts about issues with the car. Wether is be charging issues, heating/ac, battery and drive unit replacements, I'm very nervous to take on this purchase. I would love to keep this car for years out of warranty, but the price Tesla charges to fix some common issues is ASTRONOMICAL. I fear that after my two year bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire, I'll contemplate selling. I know this is all premature, and I dont even have the car yet, but realistically, how reliable are these cars going to be past all warranties?

Two of the items you mention (battery and drive unit) are covered through 2022. I bought a 2015 last year. Be sure to keep an eye out for common issues while you're under the extended warranty, like door handles and the charge port. I had a parking sensor go bad and a couple of other minor items addressed quickly by my local SC. While supercharging last week I spoke with a mobile tech, who stated that the 2015's are pretty solid - not sure about 2014. Is yours pre-AP or a late 2014?

I've got a 2014 MS, literally one of the very first with AP1, though it is not enabled. 71,000 miles, live in Minnesota. I've got a new drive unit, 4 new door handles, new cold climate brake rotors, new front struts, and new parking brakes.

I feel like the car is pretty dialed in now. Each of the 4 handles is for a different door, so I think they finally got it right as none of the replacements have failed.

The drive unit was just making a hum/whine and was replaced under warranty. Functionality was never compromised.

The new brake rotors were replaced out of warranty but for free, as they came out with a more corrosion resistant coating.

The parking brake actuators failed because of grime/corrosion buildup, which could have been easily addressed. I replaced the actuators myself, about $200.

The new struts were a pain, maybe $700, I have regular suspension. If the struts give me issue again, I'll fix them myself.

So yes, there are a lot of items, but there are known fixes. If you live in a harsh, salted, climate, you may need to give the brakes some attention.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Its late 2014, I think November or December, with AP1. Thanks for the responses so far. I know the 2 year bumper to bumper is great piece of mind, but after seeing the prices to have things replaced, I can't help but get nervous.

Its late 2014, I think November or December, with AP1. Thanks for the responses so far. I know the 2 year bumper to bumper is great piece of mind, but after seeing the prices to have things replaced, I can't help but get nervous.

My 60 is almost from that same batch. Got it used from somebody who bought it CPO and have all the documents showing what was replaced during the CPO certification (back when that was a thing). Many of the parts have been mentioned here already: drive unit, door handles and a few other random things (door cards?). The only issue that I have had in almost a year is the automatic hatch getting stuck open, a known problem, and yellowing on the screen, which is another known issue.

I am pretty sure that you will be fine. Actually, Consumer Reports gave better reliability scores to the MS from this vintage than to newer ones, if I remember correctly. They are a couple of years into production, which mans that many issues had been ironed out, but they are simpler than later models with dual motor, etc.

• Informative
Most of the kinks on 2012-14 cars have long since been worked out. Once the motor and 2 door handles were replaced on my 2013 S, I never saw another issue of substance.

The only things I would (not) worry about are the MCU, screen dripping gel, heater and charger unit. With the warranty, you will have plenty of time to resolve any issues, and overall there are far fewer things to go wrong. Most of these parts either fail or not, and putting lots of miles on the car has much less of an impact than on ICE vehicles.

Forums are mainly full of people who have issues and are looking for information so it's no surprise you see all the issues and get concerned but in reality there are many more people who don't have issues who dont frequent the forums so really all you hear or see is the negatives.

Reactions: SilverGS and AronAZ
here is the history of my 2013 P85+:
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
ELECTRIC BATTERY HEATER - SINGLE AND DUAL MOTO
4 HVJB (High Voltage Junction Box)
Replace 12V Positive Jump Post Due To Corrosion
AC compressor
paint (bubbles)
wiper motor (no warranty, 543€)
drive unit
master charger
2nd drive unit
HV Battery
2nd HV Battery
2 door handles

• Informative
It's better than ICE high mileage cars. However it's also luck of the draw. We have just added the 3 high milage one. We purcheased 100k miles and 120k miles a little over a year ago, and just bought 210k mile one. The original 2 are now 110k and 155k.

110k car has only had a door handle broken and air filter. S85 on original motor
150k has had contactor and motor replaced under warranty. I've replaced the air filter then upgraded a bunch of things. This car is on 4th motor and is a P car.
210k car has second motor, just replaced prior to purchase and original battery (failed before purchase)

Independent shops are starting to come out look at Electrified garage, and there are at least 2 in my area. Many owners here have posted repair procedures for many common items. If your handy you should be ready to deal with most issue by the time you car runs out of warranty. Other than the battery/motor none of our cars had warranty left.

Reactions: SilverGS
here is the history of my 2013 P85+:
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
ELECTRIC BATTERY HEATER - SINGLE AND DUAL MOTO
4 HVJB (High Voltage Junction Box)
Replace 12V Positive Jump Post Due To Corrosion
AC compressor
paint (bubbles)
wiper motor (no warranty, 543€)
drive unit
master charger
2nd drive unit
HV Battery
2nd HV Battery
2 door handles
Which items were covered under warranty or no charge?

all were covered under warranty but wiper motor and the door handles
I bought my car 3 months ago.
I already had a dead HV battery and a door handle. I rpaired and upgraded myself the doorhandle (not that easy, 4 hours of work)
While changing the battery, the service center told me there is a problem with a servomotor for battery cooling and a noise at the rear of the car.
So I know I will have a little expense in a few weekds to fix that.
I hope the car will now be reliable

• Informative
Reactions: RAW84
all were covered under warranty but wiper motor and the door handles
I bought my car 3 months ago.
I already had a dead HV battery and a door handle. I rpaired and upgraded myself the doorhandle (not that easy, 4 hours of work)
While changing the battery, the service center told me there is a problem with a servomotor for battery cooling and a noise at the rear of the car.
So I know I will have a little expense in a few weekds to fix that.
I hope the car will now be reliable
Ok thanks for clarifying this as it looked like most were not covered by the way you worded your post

Before you buy your car get the used car checklist make sure EVERYTHING is there(do search on forum). I had a panel missing right below my glove box would have costed me lots and bumper scratches. I also highly recommend checking the car for scratches as well as printing the list of what's included as features ie AP!, ect. I don't think Tesla has a weowe so whatever is wrong document it on your sales receipt and have the delivery person sign as well. Good luck i bought a 2015 85D had all door handles replaced, as well as battery now dialed in. Fear limits us push through it and just drive the heck out of your new ride and enjoy it. :)

Here is a list you could use

1 2x key fobs
2 Supercharging enabled
3 Autopilot enabled
4 All tires match and clear of issues
5 Charging kit with all adapters (including J1722, NEMA 5-15, NEMA 14-50)
6 All lights work
7 All windows work
8 Wipers work
9 Speakers work
10 Parcel shelf present
11 Rear window glass pitting
12 Sunroof opens/closes
13 Power lift gate function
14 Frunk function
15Steering wheel controls
16 Both seats function
17 All seat heaters work